Total Carbs

Options
I have a book that the doctor gave me to help understand some nutrition. In the book it states when counting carbs you don't have to count your sugar intake because your sugar is already counted in the total carbs. Anybody else ever heard this or know this to be true? I am diabetic so i'm trying to figure out ways to help regulate my sugar levels and I have been driving myself crazy trying to keep my sugar intake on target or below target.

Replies

• DanielSinagraq
    DanielSinagraq Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First of all, I am not a certified nutritionist or any of that
    I am just here to give advice

I generally count my sugars

There are 2 different type of Carbs
    1) Monosaccharides and Disaccharides: These are simple sugars which get easily absorbed into the blood stream. These sugars are found sweets, fruit and in foods which generaly have a sweet taste. These sugars should not be consumed to much often as they can give a quick spike to the blood sugar content and therefore can't let you stabilize it.

2)Complex Carbs:These take More time to digest which makes your blood sugar very stable. These are found in potatoes, pasta and rice.

This should give you an idea of what you shuold eat.

Remember to always check with a doctor and I hope this helps! Good Luck!!
  • daubbermom
    daubbermom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    carbs are sugar. They just break down in the body differently. It all is the same to your system. Sugars are counted in with the carbs on labels(because they are all sugars).
  • dngoins
    dngoins Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. Just needed clarification. I knew that carbs were sugars and the book said there was no need to count sugars because they were already added into your total carbohydrates. Maybe I need to talk to my doctor and see what she says I need to do. :)