To others who understand:

Options
I am not by any means trying to turn this into a pity party for myself. I just don't know why I always sabotage myself. I have lost the same 15 lbs AT LEAST 10 times over. I have a HRM, I have MFP, I have all the tools to make it work, I just don't. I will admit, I am a "I think I should eat like a damn chicken to lose weight". So I eat at 1000 cals or under for a week or two. Then I go bat crazy and spend a week or two eating 3000 every day. I KNOW that this is unhealthy, I KNOW I am doing it wrong. I just can't get my act together. I know it is my fault, and I know none of you can offer a quick fix. (Ok maybe this did turn into a pity party). Sorry : ) Anyway, thanks for reading and for any helpful comments of those who have been in the same boat or those who currently are. Have a happy week!

Replies

• Ashkea76
    Ashkea76 Posts: 7,149 Member
    Options
    I have lost, and regained the same 5pounds probably 5 times over. The thing is to identify the REASON behind the sabotage. Also, eating is good, so eating under 1200 isn't something I'm a fan of at all, as your body will not react well to it for the long term.

A skill I learned in Weight Watchers years ago, was trying to visualize yourself succeeding, and being at goal. You may need to try doing that, and stop being so hard on yourself. We are human, we're not perfect, but if you give up, you most certainly will not achieve your goal. Do you see yourself at goal? Do you believe you can do it?

Also, I try to plan a small treat of some sort, maybe every day, or every other day, and work it into my calories, that way I don't feel like I'm missing out, or "can't" have something. I can eat whatever I want, no food is off limits or bad. I just need to figure out how to fit it in.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • puckit61
    puckit61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You know what you're doing wrong, I think all you need is a little motivation. Buy yourself something but don't let yourself have it until you lose some weight. You mentioned that you lose the same 15 pounds over and over, reward yourself with that something when you reach -17 lbs or even twenty. For me it was a dress I got on clearance that I fell in love with. It fit, but not the way it should. I wouldn't allow myself to wear it until I could do the dress justice. Now the dress is too big. YOU CAN DO IT! Good Luck!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    The solution is fairly simple.
    It just takes some willpower to put it into action.
    Find a balance. You know what happens when you eat under 1000 calories, for obvious reasons. Thus, it is pointless and counterproductive. No point continuing with something that is not working.
    Find out your TDEE, including your exercise, take off 15-20% and eat that daily.
    Alternatively, set yourself to lose 1/2 Ib a week, eat back at least half of your exercise calories, and do something that is sustainable and allows you to have some treats regularly. You will never succeed if you are putting yourself on a starvation diet. It needs to be a slow working into a total lifestyle change that you can keep up.
  • MoganHorse
    MoganHorse Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm there. I lost 20 lbs and put on 30 because I binged everyday after almost reaching my goal. I thought "I'll start tomorrow, so I'll eat what I want today!" but the next day I said the same thing. It's a mental thing (I have FINALLY realized) as well as a lifestyle thing. Best wishes to you and me as we hopefully do this for the last time!
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You need to stop, have a good long think and get yourself in the right head space.
    Start with just getting the food under control. Then add some exercise. focus on one part at a time <3 x
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have lost, and regained the same 5pounds probably 5 times over. The thing is to identify the REASON behind the sabotage. Also, eating is good, so eating under 1200 isn't something I'm a fan of at all, as your body will not react well to it for the long term.

A skill I learned in Weight Watchers years ago, was trying to visualize yourself succeeding, and being at goal. You may need to try doing that, and stop being so hard on yourself. We are human, we're not perfect, but if you give up, you most certainly will not achieve your goal. Do you see yourself at goal? Do you believe you can do it?

Also, I try to plan a small treat of some sort, maybe every day, or every other day, and work it into my calories, that way I don't feel like I'm missing out, or "can't" have something. I can eat whatever I want, no food is off limits or bad. I just need to figure out how to fit it in.

I am in the same situation as the OP. I get down, right when people start noticing I've lost weight, I gain it all back :( After reading this post I realized I can't visualize myself skinny. When I try, my brain just sort of shuts down...maybe I need to meditate or something...
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It does sound like you know what the problem is. Just get on Exel and make a spreadsheet of what you will eat next week for 5-6 small balanced meals a day. Go to the store today and get it the stuff and just do it girl! Stick to 1200-1500 calories a day so you don't feel like gorging after a few weeks. Gorging is your bodies natural reaction to being starved.
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options

I am in the same situation as the OP. I get down, right when people start noticing I've lost weight, I gain it all back :( After reading this post I realized I can't visualize myself skinny. When I try, my brain just sort of shuts down...maybe I need to meditate or something...

Make a vision board with pictures of rewards that you want to get once you reach goal, things you want to do, bodies that inspire you, etc
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    You are not the only one.

2001 - 140kg
    2002 - 93kg (and almost killed myself doing it)
    2005 - 110kg
    2007 - 142kg
    2008 - 120kg
    2009 - 147kg
    2011 - 126kg
    2012 - 113kg
    2013 - 136kg

I truly hate myself for doing this.

I appear to spend 6 to 2 years in an "I don't care" mind frame and then 6 to 12 months in a "I've gotta fix this" before reverting back. Can't say why. I guess it's all mental.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Huh??? I don't understand what you mean by "losing the same 5 (or 10 or 15) pounds over and over again"......it's NOT the same weight. Am I missing something here, science wise?

You may have a tendency to hang out at a weight 5, 10 or 15 pounds above your ideal but....I mean....[insert shrug]. I'm not really understanding this way of thinking.

If you keep fluctuating back and forth so much that it's a problem, then whatever you've done to lose the weight in the first place doesn't seem to be a sustainable long-term option--and THAT'S what you need to address, seems to me. If you've lost the weight eating 1000 calories a day (or doing a juice fast or whatever), how long can you keep that up? If this is the sort of thing you're doing, this may be reason the weight keeps creeping back.

But it's NEW weight, not the old weight coming back. Sorry to sound as if I'm splitting hairs and talking down to you, but I can't figure out if you are not understanding the laws of physics or just using a casual expression.
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've been gaining and losing the same 5 pounds for two months now. I just upped my calorie goal in hopes that will help with the deprivation feelings. Another thing I'm learning is to focus on what I'm adding to my diet (rather than subtracting things). So, for example, instead of saying, "NO CHOCOLATE," I switched to MORE fruits and veggies. See? I don't know if that makes any sense, but psychologically, it seems to really help me. I'm hoping to lose this 5 pounds for the LAST TIME at tomorrow's weigh in. Good luck - you can do this! :)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I am not by any means trying to turn this into a pity party for myself. I just don't know why I always sabotage myself. I have lost the same 15 lbs AT LEAST 10 times over. I have a HRM, I have MFP, I have all the tools to make it work, I just don't. I will admit, I am a "I think I should eat like a damn chicken to lose weight". So I eat at 1000 cals or under for a week or two. Then I go bat crazy and spend a week or two eating 3000 every day. I KNOW that this is unhealthy, I KNOW I am doing it wrong. I just can't get my act together. I know it is my fault, and I know none of you can offer a quick fix. (Ok maybe this did turn into a pity party). Sorry : ) Anyway, thanks for reading and for any helpful comments of those who have been in the same boat or those who currently are. Have a happy week!

i have a quick fix.

stop doing that.

:tongue:

deprivation doesn't work in the long run. it always leads to binges.

pre-plan your meals. eat at a modest deficit. don't avoid foods that you crave, just avoid binging on them. add some more exercise. etc...

there are lots of little things you can/should do to get out of this rut you're in. they all help.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Huh??? I don't understand what you mean by "losing the same 5 (or 10 or 15) pounds over and over again"......it's NOT the same weight. Am I missing something here, science wise?

You may have a tendency to hang out at a weight 5, 10 or 15 pounds above your ideal but....I mean....[insert shrug]. I'm not really understanding this way of thinking.

If you keep fluctuating back and forth so much that it's a problem, then whatever you've done to lose the weight in the first place doesn't seem to be a sustainable long-term option--and THAT'S what you need to address, seems to me. If you've lost the weight eating 1000 calories a day (or doing a juice fast or whatever), how long can you keep that up? If this is the sort of thing you're doing, this may be reason the weight keeps creeping back.

But it's NEW weight, not the old weight coming back. Sorry to sound as if I'm splitting hairs and talking down to you, but I can't figure out if you are not understanding the laws of physics or just using a casual expression.

it's a figure of speech. she just means that her weight is staying in the same range as it goes up and down. she never seems to get dedicated enough to get below that range, but she never binges so much that it goes above.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Can you do one week at a respectable calorie reduction and one week at maintenance and mix it up as necessary? You would still lose weight, albeit more slowly, but it would stay off that way.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power! Sounds like you know what to address so you have a great starting point to begin with! I think what is needed is patience, obviously you have to find a balance between deprivation and going whole out. I'd say try to find ways to make it FUN and HAPPY to lose weight - only let yourself do workouts you enjoy and eat healthy foods you love, try to find ways to fit in your favorite treats here and there, and give yourself lots of rewards along the way. Be good to yourself and enjoy the process.
  • this_life_is_my_life
    Options
    Gorging is your bodies natural reaction to being starved.

the smartest thing i've read all day today!:drinker: