Trying to eat more calories to stop loosing weight, but I am

trisha8283
trisha8283 Posts: 14 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So I started myfitnesspal site at the beginning of the year...I went from 172 lbs to 124 in about 6 months. I think that I lost so much so fast because the anti depressants that I was taking prior, were keeping the weight on. I stayed between 130-135 for a while..then started losing again I would like to stay between 125 and 130 so I started eating the amount of calories to maintain my weight but now I am gaining and fast.....Any suggestions on what I should do??

Replies

• mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    I would like to suggest you tell me the secret to losing so fast (LOL), but, I would guess burn more calories than you eat. Same ole, same ole. It is a bummer, I know. But you have come too far to go back now. Remember, you are the skinny chick and you can do this. One day at a time to maintain. You have finished the sprint, now you are up for the marathon. Proud of your accomplishment! Great job!!!! Don't give in, Keep on going!!!!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    I was advised to slowly ease up to my maintenance calories, as oppossed to going from 1200 to 1880 (my maintenance). So each week I up my calories by 100.
  • Stay active. If you up the calories and your body isn't used to is you can start to store the additional calories. So like it says I can have 1850 calories a day with moderate activity to maintain my wieght... I know I'd be packing it on without working out. I see a bariatric physician and he suggests post weight loss: 1. it's really important to stay very active or you'll loose muscle 2. stay around 1400-1500 cal a day for the average woman. I'm sure it's just a balancing act that takes time.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    I was advised to slowly ease up to my maintenance calories, as oppossed to going from 1200 to 1880 (my maintenance). So each week I up my calories by 100.

This. And like another poster said stay active if you aren't doing so already.

Also, are you going based off of what MFP says your maintenance calories are? It could be off, you may need to play with calories once you build them back up. For instance work up to 1600 calories and stay there for a few weeks, if you lose weight add on 100 calories and try again... keep going until you get to your happy spot. Of course if you do 2000 calories for a few weeks and gain weight then you would want to back it down slowly until you find your happy spot.

Good luck to you! And congrats on your weight loss!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I play calories juggling. I weigh myself once every week. If in 2 weeks I see a trend up, I adjust the calories down. If I see a 2 week trend of too much down (for no understood reason) I adjust my calories up again. My schedule changes regularly so I base a lot on how I feel and how active I was that day.

Maybe not the best approach but it has worked for me over the last 6 months of maintianing.

Good Luck.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    I have heard to go from 1200 to 1800+ you need add it back slow so you don't gain weight... I would add back 100 calories at a time so do that for a month and see how that goes then add more and more but slow so you don't shock your body
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    I play calories juggling. I weigh myself once every week. If in 2 weeks I see a trend up, I adjust the calories down. If I see a 2 week trend of too much down (for no understood reason) I adjust my calories up again. My schedule changes regularly so I base a lot on how I feel and how active I was that day.

Maybe not the best approach but it has worked for me over the last 6 months of maintianing.

Good Luck.

Sounds like the perfect approach to me :)
This discussion has been closed.