question about the calories mfp gives you

Options
I'm new to this and was just wondering about the calories, I have a number that mfp gives me but am I supposed to eat all of them or just stay under that number if so how much under. I have always heard that your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto everything you put in your mouth if you don't eat enough. Please help

Replies

• DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Consider the number it gives you a target to hit but not exceed if possible. You want to eat up to it, but not go over (at least by much). Undereating is not a good idea for long-term success.
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The objective is to eat to your goal (mine is 1400). Eating back exercise calories is controversial on this site. Personally I don't eat them back.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eat all your calories - there's already a deficit built in based on how much you said you wanted to lose a week. PLUS eat back your exercise calories.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    You may want to search TDEE at minus 20%. This is if you have a weight loss goal. Probably starting there as something to look into--questions message me.
  • DefyGravity810
    DefyGravity810 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You should eat at least the calories it gives plus a good portion of your exercise calories back. So if you exercise more you can eat more.

Not everyone follows this though. Here's a good thread that explains what's probably the most popular calorie counting method here, eating based on a percent reduction of the total calories you burn in a day (TDEE). It will help you figure that out and set your own calorie goal from it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Another option, not sure it's as popular but it's been working for me at the suggestion of another MFP member, is to eat your BMR. Your BMR is the number of calories you would need just to maintain normal functioning if you did nothing but lie in bed all day. It's below the total calories you use in a day already so it creates a deficit but I make the deficit somewhat larger with exercising.

If you use BMR or TDEE to set your calorie goal, then don't eat back your exercise calories, just try to eat up your goal number and maybe a little below or above, you don't have to be perfect, no one can.

Also, women should never eat less than 1200 calories (and for men I think it's 1800) otherwise you risk doing damage to your body and metabolism.

I hope that helps and makes sense. I'm sure others can explain as well if needed.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Eat all your calories - there's already a deficit built in based on how much you said you wanted to lose a week. PLUS eat back your exercise calories.
    Yes, it is best to eat at least some of them back, but do so with caution. MFP tends to overestimate calories burned for some people. Be especially wary of logging "cleaning" etc.