How should I tell my parent I'm a flexitarian?

Options
2»

Replies

• lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Since a flexitarian is someone who sometimes does eat meat and mostly eats fruits and vegges; it seems odd he'd say anything.

You are 18 and probably still live at home; so it would be hard to stand up to a parent. Some have suggested you just go about your business, but I suggest you do your best to honor your parent(s) and still eat the 'flexitarian' lifestyle without telling him that is what you're doing.

Your profile doesn't say anything other than you are female and 18 years old.
    If you are on a weight loss journey ... good for you that you see at such an early age you need to make a change.
    You mentioned anorexia, that your dad thought you were struggling with this, are you? If yes, please get medical help.
    What about your mom? What does she say?
    Are you making your own meals or expecting mom (or whoever cooks) to make you something different?

There are so many unanswered questions for your brief posts.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the problem. You still eat meat, just not as often. What is so hard with saying "no thank you" if someone asks if you want meat. You aren't a vegetarian, vegan or pescetarian. All you do is limit your meat, poultry and fish intake. Pretty much you are an omnivore, like him.

Being selective in what you eat can also be considered an eating disorder. Why would he say you are becoming anorexic? Are you too thin? Maybe he has a valid point if you are getting too picky in what you will and won't eat.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'd start by telling them that you have cancer and you're becoming a transsexual but are going to do the surgery yourself.

After they have recovered from that, telling them you've changed your eating habits should be a piece of cake.

You do eat cake, don't you?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BAWHHAHAHHHA^ what she said

past that- this is my thought:

eat what you want... how much of it you want and why you want.

You don't need to explain yourself to him or anyone.

And why the hell do we have a new name for EVERYTHING?

What in gods green earth is Flexitarian anyway?

wait- don't answer that- I'll google.
  • Sewweaver
    Sewweaver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I might not always have this opinion, but for some reason, on this one, I am gonna lean toward dad of 18 yo daughter he believes may have an eating disorder. OP, you should ask yourself the question, why doesn't my dad believe anything I say? I have an 18 yo whom I believe anything he says. I also have a 21 yo and I don't believe anything he says. I have reason for both. Something tells me your dad does too.

This..... exactly
  • Sewweaver
    Sewweaver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'd start by telling them that you have cancer and you're becoming a transsexual but are going to do the surgery yourself.

After they have recovered from that, telling them you've changed your eating habits should be a piece of cake.

You do eat cake, don't you?

most. awesome. answer.... EVER
  • Jmchao
    Jmchao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Who prepares the meals in the house? If it's your mother or father, why not try offering to make a few meals a week? That way, you can prepare what you know you will eat and possibly introduce them to something new/different also. If they question it, let them know you are preparing for when you are out on your own. Why not practice while you are home with them and can ask them questions about meal preparations? They may appreciate helping you continue to grow in your independence and may appreciate the extra help.

If they still give you grief, simply let them know you feel better eating this way and you have more energy. You're trying to get a hang of eating on your own for when the day comes and you are living on your own.

Otherwise, you are an adult-act like one. Simply thank your father for his concern and assure him you are eating a healthy, well-balanced diet. Disregard anything else he says (unless there is truth behind something he says) and repeat your mantra, "Thank you for your concern, Dad. But I really do feel better and I am eating a healthy, well-balanced diet." Eventually, he will run out of things to say.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I get where you are coming from. Just say you are trying something new. Most of the world does not eat meat with every meal. In fact, we are blessed to be able to. So, you could tell him that too. Don't let what your dad says get you down. :smile:
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    so a flexitarian is a normal person who doesn't eat a ton of meat...or its someone who is just a picky eater and needs a fancy name for it to excuse their under eating? I'm still confused. I was vegetarian for years and now incorporate some meat (still no red meat and no pork), but I don't go around telling people I am something else...I just say,"I don't eat red meat" when it comes up....it seems rather complicated to try and explain to people (ie your dad) why you are being picky when you could just say "no thanks, trying to eat better"
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    so a flexitarian is a normal person who doesn't eat a ton of meat...or its someone who is just a picky eater and needs a fancy name for it to excuse their under eating? I'm still confused... you could just say "no thanks, trying to eat better"

My thoughts exactly. Don't understand what the big deal is.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I've never hear of it but I like the sound of flexitarian. It sounds healthy. Go for it.
    I can understand your dad. I have 3 teen girls and I want them all to be healthy. If one of them were to start losing a lot of weight I would want to make sure they were doing it a healthy way. I'm sure this his concern. He is coming on strong but please try to take this in the kindest possible way. He loves you. Please ignor his body comments. They do sound hurtful but really what do you care about what he thinks about your body. We can all be perfect like him.

Here is hug to you dear. Be strong and continue on your journey to be the best you you can be. :flowerforyou:
  • StephConey
    StephConey Posts: 18
    Options
    I feel as though you should stand your ground on how you wish to eat. While it's important to respect your father, you shouldn't have to endure ANY belittling from him in regards to your diet. You most certainly should not be teased about how you look (especially from your parents). If he is genuinely concerned something is amiss (but there is nothing wrong), take the time to ensure him you are fine. Explain you are a flexitarian. Explain what a flexitarian is. Reassure him there is nothing wrong with you. Tell him it's a matter of preference. Bring up a food he doesn't like or doesn't eat often. This will help him understand your preference. Be firm on your desire to reduce your meat intake. If it's served to you in quantities you don't want, just don't eat it. I'm sure your father won't continue wasting his hard earned money on meat you won't eat and he'll stop putting it on your plate.

You may be an adult, but it seems to me you may not be ready to just say, "forget this, I'm outta here". In that respect, I understand why you're still with dad at home. But don't let that be a reason to allow him to dictate what you put in your mouth even if he does buy it. Respect him and demand respect from him. I wish you all the best.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    A peptic ulcer, also known as peptic ulcer disease (PUD),[1] is the most common ulcer of an area of the gastrointestinal tract that is usually acidic and thus extremely painful. It is defined as mucosal erosions equal to or greater than 0.5 cm. Ulcers can also be caused or worsened by drugs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and other NSAIDs.[2]

Four times as many peptic ulcers arise in the duodenum—the first part of the small intestine, just after the stomach—as in the stomach itself. About 4% of gastric ulcers are caused by a malignant tumor, so multiple biopsies are needed to exclude cancer. Duodenal ulcers are generally benign.

haha, you will not get an ulser from eating like a flexitarian.:laugh:
  • poponastick302
    poponastick302 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone questions any aspect of my lifestyle, I just say that it helps with my period. That usually teaches them to keep their mouth shut.