Is my body shape a 'pear'

Options
I just measured myself again finally and I'm just curious as to what body type/category I fall into...when I look into the mirror I can't really tell.

my measurements are 32-25-36....well actually my waist is 25.5 lol but whatever...

would this be a pear??

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I just measured myself again finally and I'm just curious as to what body type/category I fall into...when I look into the mirror I can't really tell.

my measurements are 32-25-36....well actually my waist is 25.5 lol but whatever...

would this be a pear??

Yes. Welcome to the pear club.

Bosc.jpg
  • Sewweaver
    Sewweaver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would think measurements for a "pear" would be a higher disparity between bust (32) and his (36) which s only 4 inches for you. I would consider this pretty classically hour glass
  • Achrya
    Options
    I would think measurements for a "pear" would be a higher disparity between bust (32) and his (36) which s only 4 inches for you. I would consider this pretty classically hour glass

You'd be wrong tho.

Hourglass or X shape (triangles opposing, facing in): The hip and bust are almost of equal size with a narrow waist.[18] Body fat distribution tends to be around both the upper body and lower body. This body type enlarges the arms, chest, hips, and rear before other parts, such as the waist and upper abdomen. There needs to be a ten inch difference between bust and waist/waist and hips. Only 8% of women are hourglass, the rest that think they are, are probably confused pears

I'm 37.5-29-39, and thus have a smaller difference in hips to bust than the OP, and I am also a pear. A pear with big boobs, but still a pear.
  • dagolifts
    dagolifts Posts: 42
    Options
    Similar to my ex, she was bottom heavy. so yes i would say pear
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My body shape is what's known as an "awesome fruit." Google it. It's the worst shape ever, especially since you totally can't spot reduce.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I am pear and I am not bottom heavy. I just have to watch my calories or they go to my waist.....
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    It's the worst shape ever, especially since you totally can't spot reduce.

it is not the "worst shape ever", and i'm really sick of hearing that sort of thing. i'm a pear and i think i look great*. and i think many, many other pear-shaped women also look great.

*like, i want to be firmer than i am. but i have no problem whatsoever with my basic shape.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I am pear and I am not bottom heavy. I just have to watch my calories or they go to my waist.....

Pears are always bottom heavy. If extra calories go to your waist then you are an apple.
  • Achrya
    Options
    My body shape is what's known as an "awesome fruit." Google it. It's the worst shape ever, especially since you totally can't spot reduce.

6FqncN0.jpg?2

Yep. Worst shape ever.

Additionally Beyonce and Shakira are surely very upset over their pear shapes.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    ^ looks great :)
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options

Actually having a pear shaped body has benefits. Since pear people carry less fat on their waist, it lessens the risk of some diseases.

Power to the pear! :)
  • Sewweaver
    Sewweaver Posts: 33 Member
    Options

6FqncN0.jpg?2

Yep. Worst shape ever.

What a liar! Lol you are beautiful. ....
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Wow...I didn't realize I was coming off as a pear basher. My post was just me being silly. There is no worst shape ever. Apologies all around.
  • ravensfitnessjourney
    ravensfitnessjourney Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Oh I am such a pear!! Last measurements 34-28.5-44.5!

17e0e79c-e463-4443-a325-1bd006208c0c_zps8f63a0bf.jpg
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have an hourglass shape to the T, but it is true about the arms...I wish I had thin arms. That is one of my mini goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

not bottom heavy... not pear.

scratches head- how is this confusing??

pears = awesome
    apples = awesome
    bananas = awesome

all the shapes... all the awesome.
  • ravensfitnessjourney
    Options

6FqncN0.jpg?2

Yep. Worst shape ever.

It's thought that having a pear-shaped body — that is, carrying more of your weight around your hips and having a narrower waist — puts you at a lower risk of developing diabetes, heart disease and other complications of metabolic syndrome.
  • Achrya
    Options

not bottom heavy... not pear.

scratches head- how is this confusing??

pears = awesome
    apples = awesome
    bananas = awesome

all the shapes... all the awesome.

Pretty much this. Smile ladies, we're an awesome beautiful fruit salad!

You hourglass ladies can be fruits too, btw.

$(KGrHqN,!ksE3OJ,vHQpBOV4Fz2cRw~~_35.JPG
  • ravensfitnessjourney
    Options
    ^ INDEED
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    Wow...I didn't realize I was coming off as a pear basher. My post was just me being silly. There is no worst shape ever. Apologies all around.

It's ok, sorry. less to do with your specific post than a critical mass of annoyance at direct or indirect pear-hatred as seen on mfp and so many other places.

a lot of times i get the impression people think of it as the most vulgar, unappealing form. like it's atavistic, the wrong kind of femininity. stuck to fat, hormones, biological legacy/"directives", even visually rooted to the earth. reminding everyone of what people shouldn't be, in 2013. and then, of course, stuck with small boobs, & so lacking the one sign of femininity that is a++ approved by men and other women, bc it is unleashed from reproduction, & freed for the individualistic fun/good times focus that's been en vogue lately (vs baby-making, for which size doesn't matter). sooo many posts hemorrhaging loathing, for self and others. 'my boobs are too small', 'my *kitten* is too big'. everyone thinks everything about this body is disgusting.

and it's annoying, because the cost of achieving the more generally preferred hourglass is high for people with this shape (time, $, sometimes people do the boob job too). stripping that highly resistant, because, *essential* fat there on the bottom means enduring processes that i think are unrealistic and unreasonable for many, many people, which can result in the loss of health (periods). and leave you bony up top & unbalanced anyway (unless, yup, more fixing to do, build the crap out of those shoulders to fake an hourglass). and if you don't want that look, you must be pathological.

well, screw all that.

(anyway, sorry wasn't personal!)