Can someone please explain this to me?

Options
So most people on here seem to agree that weight loss is as simple as calories in, calories out (ex: if you were to eat 1500 calories of Twinkies, VS 1500 calories of vegetables it wouldn't matter-a calorie is a calorie.

On the contrary, a lot of you seem to also believe that weight loss is achieved best by clean eating. I've seen a lot of "90% of my weight loss came from clean eating" type comments. These two statements don't jibe together. Why would clean eating have more gravity than exercise if the equation is really that simple?

Also, why is strength training more effective than cardio? Is it because you burn more anaerobic calories when you're resting if you strength train?

Can someone explain?

Replies

• HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    People so happen to have different opinions. In my point of view, none are exactly right or wrong. All that matters is that you handle your weight loss journey in a healthy manner.

But that's just an opinion.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm forewarning you that this post may go on a crazy path. I think most people on here think calories are just calories, but realize eating mostly clean has many health benefits so therefore it is encouraged.
  • r_balogh
    r_balogh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Clean eating you simply get more for less. Eat 1500 calories of twinkies and tell me if you can eat just that all day. I can eat clean with loads of fresh fruits and vegetables and be full all day on 1500 calories
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it has to do with those who "eat clean" are probably consuming fewer calories overall. Those that have the whatever within limits are just that, they stay within limits.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You can give your body calories that will have nutritional value, or empty calories. Your choice how you want to live and eat and how you want to treat your body.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Clean eating you simply get more for less. Eat 1500 calories of twinkies and tell me if you can eat just that all day. I can eat clean with loads of fresh fruits and vegetables and be full all day on 1500 calories

Pretty much this.
    It's a lot harder to overeat "clean" foods than other things.
    I don't believe that clean eating is necessary for weight loss. I do believe in eating mostly whole foods with some "regular" foods for health.

The other issue is - ask 100 people what "clean eating" is and you'll get 100 variations. There is no one definition.
  • whitneysin
    whitneysin Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Gotcha, thanks everyone.
  • littlesprite11
    littlesprite11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It definitely matters what you eat. Your body is fueled by nutrients aka the ones found in healthy foods. Depending on what goes into your body is decided how it breaks down. You need to watch how much protein, carbs and fat go into your body. Protein builds muscle, if your eating crap all the time you will not get the results you want. Not to mention it is bad for your metabolism and health.
  • DatProtein
    Options
    Technically your 1500 calories could me made up of any food without affecting your rate of weight loss. However in practice, it helps to eat more 'clean' foods as they are more hunger satisfying, helping you to stick to your goals, and are better for your general health.

Strength training is recommended because it will help you maintain your muscle tone as you lose weight, which has benefits such as increasing your basal metabolic rate (amount of calories burned doing everyday tasks), helping you look better once you lose weight.

I also find strength training is a lot more enjoyable, interesting and satisfying than cardio, but that's a matter of personal preference.
  • whitneysin
    Options
    It definitely matters what you eat. Your body is fueled by nutrients aka the ones found in healthy foods. Depending on what goes into your body is decided how it breaks down. You need to watch how much protein, carbs and fat go into your body. Protein builds muscle, if your eating crap all the time you will not get the results you want. Not to mention it is bad for your metabolism and health.

When you say it matters, can you define what you mean? It matters for your health or it matters for weight loss? Are you arguing a calorie is not a calorie? I'm just curious what people think.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Strength training isn't "better" than cardio, just different. Cardio has it's purpose, as does strength training...depends on what your goals are. Strength training does more for body composition than just plain cardio and for a lot of people gives them more of the overall look they want when they reach their goals.

Weight loss in general, well, that's just calories in vs calories out. How you reach your calorie deficit is going to be your personal choice, what works best for you, what you can sustain for life. For some people that's clean eating, for others it's more if it fits your macros, for some it vegan, for others they believe it's one fad diet or the next.

Find what works for you and if you don't know, pick something and stick with it for a while...not just a couple weeks or just a month, give it an honest 6 months of truthful tracking or following the "rules" or plan, track your progress with a scale, clothes, tape measure, how you feel. If you're not seeing steady sustainable results, make some changes...not drastic, just a few minor changes and give it more time.

If you can't find something that works for you and something that you can't follow for life, you have more trouble reaching any goals and trouble maintaining those goals when they are reached.
  • whitneysin
    Options
    Technically your 1500 calories could me made up of any food without affecting your rate of weight loss. However in practice, it helps to eat more 'clean' foods as they are more hunger satisfying, helping you to stick to your goals, and are better for your general health.

Strength training is recommended because it will help you maintain your muscle tone as you lose weight, which has benefits such as increasing your basal metabolic rate (amount of calories burned doing everyday tasks), helping you look better once you lose weight.

I also find strength training is a lot more enjoyable, interesting and satisfying than cardio, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know. :)
  • whitneysin
    Options
    Strength training isn't "better" than cardio, just different. Cardio has it's purpose, as does strength training...depends on what your goals are. Strength training does more for body composition than just plain cardio and for a lot of people gives them more of the overall look they want when they reach their goals.

Weight loss in general, well, that's just calories in vs calories out. How you reach your calorie deficit is going to be your personal choice, what works best for you, what you can sustain for life. For some people that's clean eating, for others it's more if it fits your macros, for some it vegan, for others they believe it's one fad diet or the next.

Find what works for you and if you don't know, pick something and stick with it for a while...not just a couple weeks or just a month, give it an honest 6 months of truthful tracking or following the "rules" or plan, track your progress with a scale, clothes, tape measure, how you feel. If you're not seeing steady sustainable results, make some changes...not drastic, just a few minor changes and give it more time.

If you can't find something that works for you and something that you can't follow for life, you have more trouble reaching any goals and trouble maintaining those goals when they are reached.

Makes sense, thanks. I've always gotten vague answers about the 'calorie is just a calorie' (in any form of food) question. I don't eat a lot of junk, I just needed to know if it really is that simple.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Don't have to eat clean all the time to lose weight or get fit.

Most people will find that calorie burn from aerobic exercise to be 2x that of weight lifting. If I lift for an hour that may be 300-400 calories. If I run for an hour that easily 800 calories.

However, I think both are crucial to health and desired body composition.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    oh god here we go again..

In...for the dead horse...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so unhealthy foods do not fuel your body?

a calorie is a unit of energy ..so you get just as much energy from one calorie of Twinkie as one calorie of green bean..
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

/thread

that's it. right there. all you need to know.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    What is an anaerobic calorie? In order to measure a calorie (amount of heat required to raise one gram of water one degree Celsius (yes I know food calories is measured in kilocalories) - food must be burned - to be burned it must be oxidized - to be oxidized the "food" must be in the presence of oxygen. anaerobic by definition means - with out oxygen.

Hope I am not being too nitpicky (it is an industry term).
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 40lbs with just calorie in and calorie out. But then 30days with no change. Switched to clean eating and strength training all of a sudden the pounds start coming off and I have a million times more energy and feel so much better over all. I used to think all the clean eating and body building stuff was crap but I am officially converted ! It really makes a difference in your overall feeling of health. But different things work for different people!
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The other question regarding strength training vs. cardio, according to my cardiologist is that a given weight of muscle burns more calories to maintain than the same weight of fat.