How do I get enough calories?

Options
I keep being under calorie count but take in too much sugar and protein in general. My sodium is low and carbs are not usually high unless a bagel sneaks into my meal plan.

Any suggestions on what I can eat that will not raise those things but will add to calories?

Newbee Nancy from Atlanta. HI EVERYBODY!!!!

Replies

• RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Fat: oil, butter, nuts, nut butters, avocados, cheese
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Fat: oil, butter, nuts, nut butters, avocados, cheese

This... plus peanut butter...use full fat items vs. 'lite' or no fat items, like regular salad dressings vs. lite, 2% or whole milk vs. skim milk.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that means you need low protein, you're unlikely to be getting "too much" protein, so don't worry about that one.

Aim for calorie dense foods, eg. those that are high in fat. If you're looking for more nutrient-dense, "whole" foods, then you can eat more eggs, nuts, seeds, nut butters, cheese, avocados, full fat dairy, olive oil etc. If you're eating any foods that are labelled "lite" or "low fat" or "diet", then switch to the full fat equivalents.
  • Mariposa_Lily
    Mariposa_Lily Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One thing to note--MFP sets sugars really, really low. Two servings of fruit a day can put you over. For that reason, unless you have a medical condition that renders sugar a problem, I know a lot of people don't worry about the sugar goals IF most of them are coming from natural sources and not from added sugar in baked goods and soda and the like.

In other words, don't let your sugars stress you out and stop you from eating enough calories!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself "what do I need right now?"
    Then eat that thing.
    Chances are you are under calories way below TDEE and wont gain.
  • Brandyiam
    Brandyiam Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    portion portion portion so eat your fruit protein and carbs