What am I doing wrong?

Options
So I have been trying this MFP on and off for 2-3 months maybe and Im getting really discouraged. I try to eat "better" but just cant get myself to stop some of my snacks but my diet is definitely way better than before I was logging. I use to have a serious problem with just snacking 24/7 but that has gotten a lot better. I know I will log for one week and then forget the next week because life is too hectic but I just NEVER see the scale bulge. I have been exercising with a Jillian Michaels DVD in the morning and on the elliptical at nights. I usually stay below my calories. What am I doing wrong? I also feel like my calories are too low but don't know what an appropriate number would be.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Log every day and if your busy life doesn't allow for it then start making sacrifices.

The answer is that you need to do it every day.

Once you do this for a month you'll have enough data to start making adjustments as needed to your intake.
  • CindyJamison
    Options
    Question for you...Do you eat protein in your diet? When I started out, the trainer asked me how was my breakfast eating habits, I told her, not that great. She said to add protein in the morning it helps with the snack cravings all day. I thought...yeah right. But was she right. Instead of me eating my usual Danish for breakfast i started eating that Greek yogurt and some string cheese. I did not snack any that day, i ate a good lunch and before i knew it it was time to go home from work. then i realized i had not eaten and of the snacks i had brought for myself. Add protein......add protein......add protein. I hope this helps!! Good luck!!
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Log every day and if your busy life doesn't allow for it then start making sacrifices.

Once you do this for a month you'll have enough data to start making adjustments as needed to your intake.

I agree with this. The key is consistency and persistence. You can't only log some of the time.
  • lizbeths88
    lizbeths88 Posts: 19
    Options

I agree with this. The key is consistency and persistence. You can't only log some of the time.

I try and this time im really set to log everyday. I guess I just don't log when I have a bad day because I find no point.
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    That's exactly the point. If you can't see the bad days, you think they're "not that bad". Either way, you have no idea because you didn't log. You should log even the bad stuff so you can look back and see if you've actually had a calorie deficit each week.
  • chelc1105
    chelc1105 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I eat smaller meals throughout the day. Breakfast is my biggest meal usually (the weekend is the exception)

I also try to keep processed food out - the more the processed stuff i eat the hungrier i am all day.
  • lcantrell65
    lcantrell65 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think it is more important that you log the bad days than the good ones!!! (Although consistency really is the key.) When you type it all in, and you see all of that red at the bottom, it should make you want to do better the next day. More importantly, it will tell you that you really need to watch it on the carbs or the sugar or whatever your problem is. When you don't log it, you are just in denial. You are only lying to yourself. That won't get you anywhere.

Make a point of not going to bed at night unless you have logged every bite you put in your mouth!
  • tochatty
    tochatty Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I will concur with everyone else, log everyday, bad, good, add notes as to how you were feeling and the kind of day you had.

but on another note - if you have the app on your phone I find it very easy to log everyday. I was even out for dinner with friends last Thursday and while I dont play or look at my phone when out with friends normally, my friends were talking to one another and so I quietly started to log everything and one of them asked me what was so interesting and I said I"m just logging my food, and they didn't seem to mind. They were actually impressed it was already done.
  • simply_meggie
    simply_meggie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to log each day. I think most everyone has hit their "bad days" in terms of weight loss, but you cannot let it discourage you. I went about a month without any weight loss, but then it finally started to see results once I changed a few things. Try upping your calorie count a little. For example, if your at 1200, eat at least 1200, but give yourself about 100 to 150 calories of wiggle room. If you eat under those1200 calories, in this example, you are not helping yourself lose weight, in fact, you will do the opposite.

Also, drink a lot of water. I was noticing really good results when I drank 10-12 cups of water, but now I am drinking about 13-16 cups on average and have noticed a huge difference in weight loss. Just hang in there and keep at it. You can do this! :)

41597771.png
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

I try and this time im really set to log everyday. I guess I just don't log when I have a bad day because I find no point.

Well then there's your problem. You're eating too much on your bad days and equaling out your deficit. When you say there is no point and keep eating your body doesn't stop storing all those excess cals.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me "if you only kinda follow the plan, you only kinda succeed".

It's so true. You need to commit and be consistent if you want to see results.
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options

Agree with all of the above, you also want to try and eat the recommended amount of protein, eat plenty of fiber like kale and spinach with your meals to give you a full feeling, lots of people eat empty calories so they end up snacking and eating more because their body is actually hungry for the stuff they're not feeding it.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    #1 Log every day, log everything including drinks, vitamins, etc. EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth, log it.

Until you do that, you really have no idea what you're getting calories wise. You can eat the most organic, healthiest food on the face of the earth and gain weight if you're getting to many calories.
  • Notsowobblynow
    Notsowobblynow Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with all of the above...Im gonna bump this thread so that every morning I can read it to give me a kick up the a**e.....:) Gone of track lately..... wanna get back on