is it a bad thing to consistently go over my protein limit

Options
i'm looking to lose weight but at the same time build muscle

my main goal however is losing the fat

i have a protein shake after the gym and generally eat a fair bit of high protein meats and often go well over my daily goal for protein, but stick to my targets in calories, fat, carbs etc

in terms of strict weight loss, is it a bad thing to consistently go over my protein goal, often by fair big amounts (30-40 grams)?

Replies

• dagolifts
    dagolifts Posts: 42
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily say it's a "bad" thing. but is it actually benefiting you? probably not.
    If you're strictly trying to lose weight you need to have total control over your workout and eating habits.
  • leaguegod
    leaguegod Posts: 7
    Options
    thanks,

i don't really have high protein meats for protien, i more just have meats like chicken,fish etc as its easy to be healthy with them

but i am starting to wonder whether a protein shake is becoming a bit counter productive for me, even tho i am wishing to add muscle at the same time, it could be hurting me in the major goal
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem like it's a bad thing, especially if you're trying to build muscle while losing weight....

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/high-protein-diet-weight-loss
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Did you custom your macros percentage on MFP or is it the automatically generated one?
    I think there's a consensus on MFP about the automatic ratio being too low on proteins. If you haven't changed your macros percentage, maybe your consumption of protein isn't too high...
  • leaguegod
    leaguegod Posts: 7
    Options
    automatically generated

is there a way to find out a more correct daily goal ?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Going over MFPs default protein recommendation isn't a bad thing, and may be beneficial.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about going over protein. Just be aware that trying to lose fat and build muscle simultaneously is extremely difficult (see the below link for more information).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818594-building-muscle-and-losing-fat-at-the-same-time
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    What's your goal? If it's the standard one MFP suggests, it's pretty pathetic anyways. it doesn't matter if you go over on any macro as long as you are in a deficit you will lose. I prefer to go over on protein vs carbs. I don't think twice about going over in protein, even if it were consistent.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I think as others have suggested, if you go over the MFP defaults it isn't bad at all. I think they default to 15%, which is low to my way of thinking. Are you going over your weight in grams of protein. In other words, if you weigh 200 pounds, are you going over 200g of protein. If you are under the 1g/pound you should be fine no matter what.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    not bad..... but too much will just be lost cause you'll (poop it)... a little more is fine....too much is just going down the drain so...it's your call....
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    not bad..... but too much will just be lost cause you'll (poop it)... a little more is fine....too much is just going down the drain so...it's your call....

Excess protein increases protein oxidation. You don't just poop it out unused.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    yes...but that's with a lot more....since we don't know how much more is taken here ...
    Protein oxidation is bad mostly if you have kidney problems....and yes it can creates some with time but it all depends on how much more we're talking here....

Still a good point.
    It's true..... Protein oxidation is a factor here.

:wink:
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Your body can only process so much protein each day and harms the kidneys if you eat too much.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think the mfp protein limit is quite low.

To help mitigate lean mass loss while eating in a deficit you should be eating plenty of protein.

There is a lot of conflicting information about protein but 1g per lb of lean body mass is a very common protein goal.

If you are going over on protein but hitting every other macro you are going over on calories. Is that the case? Or are you under on other macros?
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Don't think if it as a limit, but as a Minimum
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    GUILDLINE....ONLY....

0.4 - 0.8 per body of kilo weight none active and up to 1.2 - 1.5 per kilo of body weight for active / major active.

give or take, but depends very much on activity and amount and when you do it. so... you work it out what works for you

:)
  • harinkie
    harinkie Posts: 20
    Options
    Your body can only process so much protein each day and harms the kidneys if you eat too much.

That would only be if you extremely overdo it on the protein or don't drink enough.

I noticed the same thing: since I am eating more lean meats I usually go over the proteine limit too. Mind you we are talking about around 150 grams of meat/chicken/fish per day, so should not be a problem. I just assumed mfp has that setting low.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It's ok to go over. I wish I could go over more often. I have my protein set higher than mfp recommendations.