Vacation Frustation

Options
Hi! I recently went on vacation for 5 days (I know for 3-4 of the five days), I overate... a lot! I got home and hopped on the scale to weigh myself (the following morning), as in, this morning. The scale showed a 5 pound increase? HOLY COW- wanting to cry! I find that I just so easily get thrown off and so discouraged.

Is this weight gain real? As in, did I SERIOUSLY eat enough to gain 5 pounds. I know I did eat some extra salt... but is it that much to gain 5 pounds. How would you recommend getting back on track?

Feeling discouraged :(

Replies

• flsusi
    flsusi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    did you fly?
    for me, whenever I fly, there are 5-7 extra pounds that go away within the next few days (sometimes even overnight)
  • Getting_Lean
    Options
    did you fly?
    for me, whenever I fly, there are 5-7 extra pounds that go away within the next few days (sometimes even overnight)

No... no flights! :(
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If you over ate a lot and had salt ..all you can do is jump back on the band wagon starting now...drink water get a good rest and workout tomorrow eat right...
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If you over ate a lot and had salt ..all you can do is jump back on the band wagon starting now...drink water get a good rest and workout tomorrow eat right...

Yeah, what she said^^^

If you ate a lot of salty food, some of that 5lbs is probably going to be water retention. Drink plenty of water, flush it out of your system, then weight yourself in a weeks time.
  • Getting_Lean
    Options
    Thanks for the comments- I am just so concerned that I will not be able to get back on track, I feel so disappointed and so frustrated. I just don't know how to get back on track...
  • hbbeth
    hbbeth Posts: 13
    Options
    I tend to just quit on vacations. I hope you enjoyed yourself! Just know that you've lost it before, get back on track and remember how awesome your trip was.

Beth
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation 2 1/2 weeks ago and gained 6 pounds while I was away. I got back down to my pre-vacation weight after meeting my calorie goals for 1 week. Just get back on track and it'll be gone before you know it!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    The whole point of a vacation is to relax and enjoy yourself. It's good to let yourself go.

Also, if you eat out, a lot of the food has high salt content, and sodium is notorious for holding water. If you drink plenty of water over the next week, then weigh yourself, you should notice a decent weight loss.
  • daftthoughts
    Options
    A lot of people don't consider it, but if you didn't go to the bathroom frequently for number 2, some of your weight may also be just the fact you have put food into your body that's not gone out yet.

Don't fret too much, keep going the way you did. If you want to avoid this, try planning your vacation ahead of time and include what you're going to eat during. Try researching restaurants and bring your own food (and your food scale if you use one) to make it easier on yourself!
  • jenjen828
    jenjen828 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether it is a true gain or not, do what you know you need to do. Eat right, exercise hard, drink lots and lots of water, and it will come off. If it is water weight, it will come off and you will have a nice little loss on top of it. If not, then you are closer to getting rid of the gained weight and have restarted the good habits you have started.

The main thing is to not quit and keep moving forward. If you quit, you will just have to begin again.. When I have quit in the past, I just gained more weight, and had to start again anyway. It is better to just keep on working toward your goal. You are human, and this journey is going to have ups and downs. Just consistently do your best and be proud of what you have done. You can do this, and I will encourage you in any way that I can. You are not a quitter, you are a winner and you WILL succeed in this!
  • Getting_Lean
    Options
    Thanks for the comments- I am PRAYING it is water weight and not fat gain!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Recently had something similar happen and it was all gone in 3 days. Don't worry. Also, if it's near your tom that could be part of it.
  • Photorock
    Photorock Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Please don't be too discouraged1 My weight often fluctuates by 5 lbs! That's why I only count my Thursday weigh in. And its been slowly going down every week.Don't quit ! You CAN do this!!!!
  • confusedperson
    Options
    Can you specify a bit more? Lik,e when you say you overate, of how much food are we talking exactly?
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It's highly unlikely that you ate enough on vacation to gain 5 lbs of fat. It's most likely mainly water, so it will likely disappear as fast as it appeared.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    its hard when your npot in familiar surroundings. Thats why it's so imp[ortant to be vigilant in logging. it ia so easy to lose track. also keeping up with at least some simple worouts helps. I feel your pain
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi! I recently went on vacation for 5 days (I know for 3-4 of the five days), I overate... a lot! I got home and hopped on the scale to weigh myself (the following morning), as in, this morning. The scale showed a 5 pound increase? HOLY COW- wanting to cry! I find that I just so easily get thrown off and so discouraged.

Is this weight gain real? As in, did I SERIOUSLY eat enough to gain 5 pounds. I know I did eat some extra salt... but is it that much to gain 5 pounds. How would you recommend getting back on track?

Feeling discouraged :(

Just got back from our beach vacation a few days ago and I too have gained. It was pretty much a pig fest between eating snacks by the pool and the booze that I had. Don't get discouraged! The way you get back on track is just how you were before you left. Dig in, suck it up and sweat! ;)
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I had a 5 day vacation earlier in the month. I went well over my calorie limit 5 straight days and consumed quite a bit of alcohol to boot. By the time I got home and weighed, I had gained 1/2 a pound. How is that possible? Experience and strategy. I knew I was going to indulge, so I ate below my calorie limit leading up to my vacation. I couldn't go to my gym while away, but I did SOMETHING to burn calories every day..walks, runs, played basketball, body weight work, biking, etc. On the last night of my vacation I began a 24 hr fast. The first day home I was back at the gym and eating normally.

I have had a vacation derail me in years gone by. It wasn't so much the weight gain but the getting out of my healthy routines that snowballed. Maybe my strategies can help you on your next vacation. As for this one, learn and get back to it . Eat healthy and workout and the 5 lbs will be gone soon enough.

Good luck.