Good Clean Guilt-Free Recipes Using Imitation Flavors?

Options
POST GONE.

Replies

• BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Erm, when you say "clean" do you mean non processed no additives type of thing?

If not, maybe they would be good in custard, porridge, smoothies? Home made icecream?
    Never tried them myself, just thought I'd reply thinking you may want to change the wording or clarify "clean"
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I used the orange in a choc orange cheese cake once. It ended up in the bin :brokenheart:
  • Nininina24
    Nininina24 Posts: 29
    Options
    Erm, when you say "clean" do you mean non processed no additives type of thing?

If not, maybe they would be good in custard, porridge, smoothies? Home made icecream?
    Never tried them myself, just thought I'd reply thinking you may want to change the wording or clarify "clean"

Uh, clean as in, no added sugar, no HIGH CALORIE, no extra salt, white flower, no pre made anything really. Basically, no junk. I don't "fully" see the point in going into great details on clarifying what I mean when I say "clean".... Because everyone has their own idea of what "Clean" is. I figured if people posted ideas and if I saw something that seemed interesting I'd obviously modify it to fit my diet properly. Does that make more sense? But yes, like smoothies, oats, clean (plain) banana ice cream, ect... (custard doesn't fit my diet)
  • Nininina24
    Options
    I used the orange in a choc orange cheese cake once. It ended up in the bin :brokenheart:

Oh, well that DID sound like a good idea lol Unfortunately cheese cake wouldn't work into my diet, BUT that sounds good. So, what was the major issue? too orangey tasting? or did it just have a weird taste lol. Im guessing it just didn't go well together? haha sorry about that! "A" for effort! :)
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    These 'imitation' flavourings are exactly that - chemical imitations of natural flavours. They are by definition the antithesis of 'clean'.
  • Nininina24
    Options
    These 'imitation' flavourings are exactly that - chemical imitations of natural flavours. They are by definition the antithesis of 'clean'.

Okay, perhaps I should just go ahead and clarify above then. Another reason I said "clean" is because adding an imitation extract flavoring ISN'T GOING TO BLOWN YOUR DIET OUT THE WINDOW....
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Oh, well that DID sound like a good idea lol Unfortunately cheese cake wouldn't work into my diet, BUT that sounds good. So, what was the major issue? too orangey tasting? or did it just have a weird taste lol. Im guessing it just didn't go well together? haha sorry about that! "A" for effort! :)

It just doesn't taste like orange. It's bitter and alcohol tasting (not in the fun way)
  • castadiva
    Options
    Mis-post
  • Nininina24
    Options

It just doesn't taste like orange. It's bitter and alcohol tasting (not in the fun way)

Lol well, good to know! Thanks for sharing!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think they taste awful. If I wanted something to taste like oranges, I'd just use some orange zest or juice.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I thought clean meant as few added ingredients as possible?

how does one eat clean, yet add additional processed ingredients...interesting...
  • castadiva
    Options

Okay, perhaps I should just go ahead and clarify above then. Another reason I said "clean" is because adding an imitation extract flavoring ISN'T GOING TO BLOWN YOUR DIET OUT THE WINDOW....

Neither will adding the equivalent amount of a real flavouring, and it won't expose you to chemical additives either! I think what you mean is 'low-calorie'.
  • ndj1979
    Options

so a teaspoon of sugar will blow your diet out?
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I get what the OP is going for. On a whim, I bought some chocolate flavored stevia because I heard the flavored stevias were pretty good. So I have it in the house and haven't used it yet because I can't quite figure out what to use it on. Perhaps my low sugar fat free vanilla ice cream? Or in some plain yogurt? In my coffee?

Perhaps the maple or orange could be used in low fat greek yogurt? Added to a vanilla protein shake?
  • Nininina24
    Options
    Mis-post

I'm not too concerned with this, I still believing adding small amounts won't harm me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Ah the beauty of the vague "clean" term.
  • Nininina24
    Options
    No, but why use sugar when you could use Stevia in the Raw? Okay I get it. I didn't use the right choice of words. Goodness. But I do get what you're saying.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    what is wrong with sugar? I mean you can eat sugar and not ballon up....

Eating over maintenance calories causes weight gain, not sugar.
  • Nininina24
    Options
    Wow... nothing like completely picking apart a persons choice of words. I'm deleting this.
  • Nininina24
    Options
    I honestly just wanted simple recipes or ideas of things that I could using these flavorings in. Not criticism for miss using the word "clean"...........................................................