Good Clean Guilt-Free Recipes Using Imitation Flavors?

Options
2»

Replies

• michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    These 'imitation' flavourings are exactly that - chemical imitations of natural flavours. They are by definition the antithesis of 'clean'.

this was the impression I was under....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i am just curious why you think the natural ingredients will blow out your intake? If you use them in moderation there should be no issue...

everyone is so scared of eating "sugar" or "carbs" like they are some fat boogeyman that will make you put on five pounds in a day ...

as long as you hit your cal and macro goal for day you will be OK...
  • Nininina24
    Nininina24 Posts: 29
    Options
    If you were to go ask 50 different people who didn't know each other all the same question: "What is your idea of clean eating?" I'd be willing to bet they all would NOT response with the same answer...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i am not asking for a definition ..

I am curious you think the imitation ingredient/flavoring is superior to the natural one...?
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Presuming you mean something similar to these Flavdrops, I use the coffee and toffee ones in coffee instead of sugar, and in protein shakes and protein cakes just for a different flavour.

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/flavdrops/10530471.html
  • Nininina24
    Options
    Trust me, I understand that. I follow it to a T... I take fitness serious. I workout 5-6 days a week, ect ect.. I am fully aware of the calories in VS calories out. For me, it's just personal preference.. I'd rather use Stevia while someone else would rather use sugar. MAke sense?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    not really, but if that is what you want to do that is fine...

I just don't understand the fear of sugar...
  • irivas1
    irivas1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have used orange extract in plain mint tea to elevate the taste and it was a hit with friends and family. I have used almond and lemon extract in cakes and cookies and they were quite tasty. My favorite is the vanilla...just can't get enough. I am wondering, if you go to the company's site; perhaps they have some recipes available. :smile:
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    thinking maybe you should try posting again w/more specific info as to what you do and don't want included in ingredients..you left it way to open. Say - no sugar or no whatever it is you don't include in your diet....or don't mention any restrictions and weed thru on your own (probably a better way to go...)
  • Nininina24
    Options
    Presuming you mean something similar to these Flavdrops, I use the coffee and toffee ones in coffee instead of sugar, and in protein shakes and protein cakes just for a different flavour.

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/flavdrops/10530471.html

YES!! That's exactly what I'm talking about!! And I actually use the almond one in my coffee sometimes. Have you used the butter flavor or orange? Just curious..
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    What does fit in your diet? What makes guilt in a recipe?
  • Nininina24
    Options
    In my college days (way back before dirt was invented) I was always pinching pennies (ugh...in today's economy....I'm still pinching pennies) I would have friends over for an evening of fun. I would serve the cheapest beverage I could make, mint tea with orange extract. I received so many compliments and requests for the tea and had to let my secret out. In addition, I have used almond and lemon extract in cakes and they were quite tasty. My favorite is the vanilla...just can't get enough. I am wondering, if you go to the company's site; perhaps they have some recipes available.

HAHA!!! THis is awesome. mint tea with orange... That sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing! and thanks for the laugh!!
  • Nininina24
    Options
    Stronger flavor and it's just easier.
  • xampx
    Options
    YES!! That's exactly what I'm talking about!! And I actually use the almond one in my coffee sometimes. Have you used the butter flavor or orange? Just curious..

I have never seen a butter flavour one, but I probably wouldnt use it as I don't think I would like it.

I have some normal almond essence for baking, which I havent used yet, but I have used generic peppermint essence in a chocolate shake before. I might give the almond a go in a vanilla/pb shake, but these ones are sweetened so I prefer them. Using too much tastes a bit gross though.
  • xampx
    Options
    http://www.proteinpow.com/ has lots of recipes, if you search for flavdrops (the uk equivalent) she has 7 pages of recipes using them
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I honestly just wanted simple recipes or ideas of things that I could using these flavorings in. Not criticism for miss using the word "clean"...........................................................

For future reference, if one posted a topic saying something like, "I want to eat dairy-free by eating yogurt, whey protein and cheese," people would be unable to properly answer, right?

It's not "picking apart words" or focusing on grammar here--your post didn't make sense. That's why people spent the topic trying to figure out what was going on here.

Words are important. Using them correctly will always get you closer to your goals.