Gaining 3lbs in a week? Help!

Options
So I started my weight loss journey about a year and a half ago and since then I've lost about 25lbs. This past March I began to plateau and I still have 15lbs to go!

I've been doing everything - clean eating, watching calories and working out every day (workout intensity varies depending on the day). I've joined Myfitnesspal in the last month to try and aid in this effort and it seemed to be working! I dropped another 3/4 lbs! And now, a week after my last weigh in, I'm 3 pounds heavier. What?! What could this possibly be? I burn usually around 800 calories a day and I eat anywhere between 1500-1800 and I've been doing a lot of running. I do a little bit of strength training but nothing hardcore. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this could be?

This has happened in the past and when it happened it took FOREVER to get my weight back down. I'm hoping that this time that isn't the case!

Replies

• muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    Options
    Were you carb/glycogen depleted when you weighed in last time?
    Vs maybe not being carb/glycoglen depleted now?
    That could easily explain a blip like that.
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    I concur glycogen depleted to full is about 2kg (nearly 4lb) for me.

dont panic unless it keeps going up!!!
  • DebLark52
    DebLark52 Posts: 5
    Options
    I wouldn't trust the calorie "credits" earned from exercising. I usually eat my calorie goal (or just a tad over...) and just let the exercise be an extra bonus towards weight loss. Also, make sure you're drinking enough water -- if you start to dehydrate (especially in this warm weather) your body will retain fluids to compensate, and that can add a few pounds, easily. Good luck!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1500 -1800 net calories a day or just that amount? If it's not net than you may need to eat more. How are you measuring your calorie burns? 800 is on the higher side unless you are doing a lot of activity each day.

With only 15lbs left to go, set your weekly goal to 0.5lbs per week. Make sure you switch up your exercise routine now and again.

The weight gain could be due to a lot of things. It could be that you aren't drinking enough water.... getting too much sodium... weight gain happens due to hormones and water retention from exercise.

Stay off the scale for a week or two. Limit your sodium (tons in processed foods like frozen meals, canned foods, dressings, etc). Increase your water intake. Don't weigh after a lifting day. Ensure your deficit is set correctly as well.

Also, ensure you are tracking everything and properly inputting everything. Get a kitchen scale if you don't have one already and weigh all foods. Use measuring cups/spoons only for liquids.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    What are your current stats? Height, weight, BF%?
  • MagusScriptor
    Options
    Hello all thanks for the responses! My weight is the craziest thing it keeps going down and then jumping back up 4lbs. It's like a constant yo-yo. I've been doing clean eating for about 2 months now and I seriously don't know what else to do as far as my intake goes. I eat around 1500-1800 calories TOTAL while burning on average 800 a day - I have a calorie counter and I check the machines at the gym - I also do a lot of running. I drink lots of water - at least 8 cups. I really have no idea what else to do. It's quite frustrating because I've been kicking butt and eating right. I eat whole grains, vegetables, fruits and I don't drink soda or eat junk food/candy and I keep an eye on my sodium. The only "bad" thing I do - once a week I give myself a cheat meal. Nothing terribly huge, just like a burger or a slice of pizza or a 1/2 cup of ice cream. But ONE cheat meal ONCE a week shouldn't do this!

My current stats: 5' 3''
    BMI 24.5
    and last week I weighed 131 (WAS SO HAPPY)
    This week I am 134.8

Thanks again everyone!