Am I not eating enough??

Hi everybody! I've been refocusing on losing some weight since June 15th. My starting weight was somewhere around 143-144 and now I'm bouncing between 139-141. Why am I losing weight so slowly? I work out every day (30 minutes elliptical or running intervals on the treadmill 5-6x/week, weight training 3x/week and yoga 2-3x/week). I meticulously track my food and eat between 1200-1500 cals a day. I don't cheat. I feel like i'm doing everything right...so the only thing that I can think of is that maybe I'm not eating enough??

Diary is public if that would help!

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 208 Member
    I don't know what your height is so I don't know what is considered a healthy weight for you, but it doesn't seem like you have a lot to lose. The closer you get to your weight goal, the slower it is to lose pounds. Weight loss requires dedication and patience. Losing any amount of weight is success. With the amount of workouts you are doing, you may want to consider reevaluating your calorie intake which may be too little. The best option, in my opinion is to calculate your TDEE which can be done online with a TDEE calculator. Since you have a small amount of weight to lose, I would eat about -10% less than that number and that would be your calorie goal. You can set your TDEE number with exercise already included if you would like and that would mean you do not eat your exercise calories back or you can set the TDEE number without exercise included and in that case you would eat your exercise calories back. Overall, just be patient and also take your body measurements. Even if the scale doesn't move, you may be losing inches and your body fat percentage may be decreasing which is a much bigger success in my mind.
  • maddyloses
    maddyloses Posts: 3 Member
    I don't know what your height is so I don't know what is considered a healthy weight for you, but it doesn't seem like you have a lot to lose. The closer you get to your weight goal, the slower it is to lose pounds. Weight loss requires dedication and patience. Losing any amount of weight is success. With the amount of workouts you are doing, you may want to consider reevaluating your calorie intake which may be too little. The best option, in my opinion is to calculate your TDEE which can be done online with a TDEE calculator. Since you have a small amount of weight to lose, I would eat about -10% less than that number and that would be your calorie goal. You can set your TDEE number with exercise already included if you would like and that would mean you do not eat your exercise calories back or you can set the TDEE number without exercise included and in that case you would eat your exercise calories back. Overall, just be patient and also take your body measurements. Even if the scale doesn't move, you may be losing inches and your body fat percentage may be decreasing which is a much bigger success in my mind.
    I'm 5'3"!
  • I know the feeling. I'm 5'3 and around 125lbs now. But for my sport I need to be around the 110 to 115 mark. The only difference I know I wasn't loosing because I went off track. But even when I'm perfect the weight loss is slow. .5lg (1lb) a week/fortnight maximum.

refined is right. Any loss is a success and its going to be slow just because you're not losing excessive amounts of weight. Keep an eye on your TDEE also. That said, I eat between 1,200 and 1,500 calories a day and I'm doing similar levels of exercise and my results aren't that different from yours. :)

Keep at it. You'll get there!
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    This may be helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

It might also be a problem of all the protein bars rather than real food. They have a lot of sugar. One thing that I found really useful is Dr. Layne Norton's video's on Youtube. He explains things quite well. He has one on IIFYM that I found particularly enlightening. I think when you are just trying to lean out IIFYM is important. I always had a calorie deficit but my fat was too high. I am working on that now and am feeling great and the differences are happening quick. Heavy lifting is also important.