In need of internal motivation

Options
Today I am rejoining this program after a year of being away and struggling! Since I left I gained 11 lbs. instead of losing more wait. Frustration has occurred over and over again. I start out strong in the morning but then my eating gets out of control and my will power fails by afternoon! I have tried food diary apps but don't keep an accurate record or give up recording when by will power fails. On a positive note, I have kept up working out I one way or another. I have realized that I am an overeater, stress eat, and eat when I am bored. I seem to be lacking the internal motivation I need to keep strong and take setbacks with regards to my weight loss in stride. However, the number on the scale this morning was a wake up call, and I am I need of finding and keeping my internal motivation! I annoy usually interested in chatting but a feeling desperate to find something that works.

Replies

• MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I can feel your pain, and what I know sometimes works for me (I do still fall down that slippery slope.) Is to NOT buy or have the trigger foods in my house! Trigger foods for me are carbs........ Bread, pasta, potatoes, all the nasty "white" stuff they say is no good for us anyway! I fell off the wagon this weekend and stopped at the discount bead store. I did buy english muffins, and some whole wheat pita and rye bread, but I did ignore the danish, donuts, and cookies........ Half a victory in my book.........

Try to identify your triggers, both emotional and food wise, and take small steps to manage them. Small steps get us where we need to be
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I really don't like doing this, because I feel like I am trying to get attention, but here's the link to my weight loss story, etc. Setbacks will come and I hope that my story shows you it is entirely possible to not be derailed by them!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/918358-they-cut-my-head-open-your-excuse-is-invalid
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Wow! Thanks for sharing that and I don't know how I missed it the first time around! Great post to throw down in this type of thread for sure!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well internal motivation is just that... internal.

Based on the issues you have described with self-regulating your behavior, I would recommend you look into Intermittent Fasting. If you can control yourself in the morning, but less in the afternoon, it might be better to give yourself a feeding window during your day. You consume all your calories during that window and you may find yourself more satisfied later in the day.

It's just a suggestion. Sometimes, it's easier to work around a pattern of behavior than it is trying to force yourself to conform to something that doesn't feel natural to you.