Question for runners

Options
fitnh
fitnh Posts: 238 Member
When I am running on the treadmill I am able to sustain a 6mph pace, however when I hit the road it plummets. Any suggestions on how to increase speed and sustain it for road running?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Run on the road more often.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is easier than the road since it doesn't have the natural variations in levelness that the road does. An incline of about 3% on the treadmill will help simulate the effort of running the same speed and distance on a (relatively) flat road. Interval training is also very good for building speed. And, as previously suggested, run outside more.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    if it's a lot hotter or more humid outside your pace will be naturally slower.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    During the summer your pace when outside can be significantly slower than usual depending on the conditions (heat and humidity). Are you running at a steady pace the whole time? Intervals, hills, and speedwork will help to speed up your regular easy pace. Personally, I loathe treadmills and I won't use them unless I have to get a run in and outside is not an option (i.e. it's really hot/humid and I can't fit in the run in the morning or evening and lunchtime is the only time to fit it)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Run outside! Treadmills are easier (and boring IMO!)
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of potential reasons for this. As some have mentioned, the heat and humidity of summer can certainly play a huge factor in pace. Additionally, as someone also mentioned, since you feel no wind resistance on a treadmill and the belt propels itself forward (vs. you propelling yourself forward against a fixed road), not to mention the lack of incline variation if you're just running at a steady incline, many suggest increasing the incline of the treadmill to a fixed 1.0-1.5% to simulate those effects. Finally, unless you're confident the treadmill has been calibrated recently, there's always the potential that the speed on the treadmill just isn't accurate... I know my treadmill at home seems consistently faster than my pace outdoors, irrespective of all the above factors.

In any case, I agree with many of the others here - just get outside, challenge yourself, and see the world on your runs.

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If the weather is good outside (ie not too hot/humid), then I don't find it harder to run outside. What is harder, is keeping yourself motivated outside. I actually tend to run faster outside overall because I naturally vary my pace. Faster then slower, then faster again. On the treadmill, it's a set speed. Sometimes that speed seems too easy and sometimes it seems too hard.

I would recommend using some kind of GPS or app on your smart phone that will periodically tell you your pace so you can adjust as needed.
  • kwaichi
    kwaichi Posts: 12
    Options
    You can try some weight lifting on your legs and glutes especially your calves, hamstrings and quads.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I always prefer to run outside and it is more satisfying to watch your pace increase as a result of your own effort. I do use runkeeper on my phone and have a garmin forerunner to tell me how far and how quickly I am going. The dreadmills drive themselves so all you have to do is keep up with the speed you have set it too whereas outside you have to provide the driving force so you should be slower.
  • Alphaeater
    Alphaeater Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello Fitnh,

If your "nh" means New Hampshire, you likely have tons of rolling hills and mountains around you. While going up and down the hills makes your pace slower, it also makes you much stronger. Forget the pace per mile: do what makes you stronger and do what makes you faster. In addition to just going up and down the rolling terrain, or up and down the mountains, here are two types of treadmill workouts that will help you become a better runner.

1) After your warmup (walking a minute and then jogging a few easy minutes), run 4 minutes at your normal pace and then run 1 minute at 3% elevation (also at your normal pace). Continue alternating this way for several cycles. The goal would be to become able to do this alternating for the length of your regular run. If this becomes too easy, you can either keep 4:1 and increase the hill to 4% or you can keep the 3% and change the 4:1 flat:hill to 3:2.

2) After your warmup (walking a minute and then jogging a few easy minutes), run 4 minutes at your normal pace and then run 1 minute at half of 1 mph (0.5) faster than your normal pace. So if you normally run at 6.0 mph, your faster part would be at 6.5 mph. Continue alternating this way for several cycles. The goal, again, is to be able to do one more cycle each time you try this run (once a week for this workout and once per week for workout #1 would be super). If this becomes too easy, you can bump it up to 6.6 or 6.7...you get the idea...or you can go from 4m and 1m to 3m30 to 1m30.

Both of these types of running will strengthen your legs (and breathing and mind) and will improve your running.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    When you run on a treadmill, you are not propelling yourself forward like you have to do when you run outside. Therefore, it is "easier" to run at that pace on the treadmill than it is outside. The only way to improve actual running is to do it outside where you have the variation in inclines, wind, weather, humidity, etc. I reserve the treadmill for rainy days or winter and then run outside each and every chance I get.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Running outdoors might not always be an option because of bad weather or other factors. To compensate for this, you can still use the treadmill but try to challenge yourself more by placing it on an incline. You will really start to feel yourself becoming more challenged because you'll find lower body working really hard to keep you on pace. If you run the treadmill without an incline, the belt is simply propelling you forward and while you're getting a good workout, you're not being challenged as much.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to maintain a pace on the treadmill because once you set it, you have no choice but to keep it or fall off. When on the road, you'll naturally want to be a bit lazier. I suggest using a running app and have it set to alert you every time you fall below pace. This should keep you in check.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Run outside! Treadmills are easier (and boring IMO!)

Actually, I find running outside easier.

To the OP, run on the road. It takes practice.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Funny you say this - I'm the opposite - I can maintain a minute per mile faster pace *outside*, versus on the treadmill, where even a minute per mile slower feels like a grind.

I think it's as simple as practice.
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great feedback! I will be taking my running outdoors starting tomorrow. Running on the fine roads of beautiful NH!!!!
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Agreed with much of what has already been said, just highlighting one thing you can do right away to help you. Time your runs outside with whatever is available to you until you get a device that you are comfortable with. If you have a smart phone, apps like Mapmywalk or mapmyrun can help you accurately track distances and speed. It can also help you set up different length or difficulties for you. Enjoy the outside while you can:-)
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Much less humid today, should make for a decent effort outside!
  • Reevsie123
    Reevsie123 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer the treadmill, found watching my I pad really difficult running outside :laugh:
    Seriously - I watch music videos which makes the time fly, don't have to worry about kerbs and cars, proberbly depends where you live. UK weather sucks most of the time and I live in a town so treadmill it is for me !
  • zipzap77
    zipzap77 Posts: 9
    Options
    Play with the incline and increase your speed a little bit at a time.