Working out after surgery

Options
mcibty
mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have had surgery and what you did about exercising during the recovery weeks afterward? I'm considering having an operation on my foot, which I will have to have at some point so may as well have it planned on my own terms. The recovery is at least 6 weeks - obviously I won't be able to hop on a treadmill, but I honestly think I'd go crazy sitting on my *kitten* for that long.

Do you think I could do ab/weight workouts after a couple of weeks? Has anyone done this?!

Replies

• feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    I had a tonsillectomy a few years back. I'll be honest- even though physically there was nothing to stop me jumping on a treadmill, the effect of the anaesthetic itself, coupled with painkillers, was enough to wipe me out for at least a month. I just took the opportunity to rest up and recover.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Had a knee surgery 1,5 years ago. For two weeks I didn't no anything at all, then after having stitches removes, I started cycling (indoors, using turbo trainer), slowly and gently, minimum resistance, first for 20 minutes a day, adding 5 minutes every other day. When my scar healed, I started swimming, 2-4km a day.. Pretty much avoided putting my entire body weight on that leg for a month, while still keeping it exercised.

I guess if it's a foot surgery, then if you're going to feel alright overall, you can do all kinds of seated upper body exercises.
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had my appendix out in June so that really crippled me for a couple week. Once the aneathesia passes through your body just do anything that doesn't put pressure or pain on the affected area. Plenty of exercises you can do sitting in a chair with a couple free weights.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You can probably get away with doing mostly upper body work. You might be able to use some of the leg machines like the ab/adductor machine, leg extension etc. but it depends on what sort of apparatus your foot will be in.

There's a guy at our gym who had something going on with his foot and was in a boot. That didn't stop him from going to the gym and lifting.