If you only had 40 minutes...

Options
to spend at the gym a day, what would you do?? I belong to a gym near my office and like to go during my lunch hour but by the time I change and get over there I really only have about 40 minutes to work out before I have to head back to the office and "clock in". Suggestions?

Replies

• Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I would alternate cardio one session, strength training the other. If 40 minutes is too short to get all of you muscles in your strength training session, perhaps work half you muscles one day and half during the next strength training session.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    A mini indoor triathlon - 10 mins rowing, 10 cycling, 10 running.

Alternating with strength exercises is a good idea too.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My strength training routines take about 40-45 minutes as is. While I don't often do cardio, I would do them on alternating days like others have mentioned.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    And think about doing HIIT on your cardio days.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    this was my workout yesterday-

4 rounds of the following- took me 20:41 seconds

5 pull ups
    8 row
    20 bear squats (could be any squat)
    20 thread to press (20 lb KB 10 fwd - 10 bkwd)

could easily sub out any workout- pick reps- do workout

40 minutes is loads of time- most of my workouts aren't much longer than that actually.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 takes me less than 30 minutes... That still gives you time to shower and change. Use free weights. You can do cardio/ calisthenics/ body weight exercises at home...
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I would definitely alternate between cardio and strength training. If you google 'treadmill intervals' you'll find some great fat burning cardio intervals. Here is one I like...
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Print-30-Minute-Treadmill-Interval-6646201
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    What I do works for me.

Three days a week during my lunch, I do 5 minutes for quick calesthenics then spend about 15 to 20 minutes on arm weights. I spend the rest on the elliptical.

Two nights a week I do a two hour class, hour one is Taekwondo and hour two is heavy calesthenics.

I do walks around the neighborhood if I need extra.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Weight lifing focused on upper body strength. I put tons of miles on my bike in an average week - cardio and lower body muscle development aren't my concern. Do what you can't do outside of a gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 takes me less than 30 minutes... That still gives you time to shower and change. Use free weights. You can do cardio/ calisthenics/ body weight exercises at home...

that **** gets heavy as hell and starts taking way longer than 40 minutes though- that's the only down side- when I"m cramped and trying to lift heavy- I just go with drop sets.

high volume for the win!!!!