Lost 10 lbs in 1 week

Options
I am going to attempt to lose 10 lbs in 1 week. Possible? or foolish to attempt?

Replies

• mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose that much so quickly? You'd have to go to extreme to do that as you seem fit already. It's not a good idea. And, the possibility of gaining it back is higher.

Note: I'm sorry if I sound insensitive. I'm sure you can lose the weight, but not in a healthy way in one week. In a few weeks or month then sure.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I AM going to be insensitive

WHAT? NO! DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

How on earth do you think you can create a 35,000 kcal deficit in one week? Think about it. Average kcals for a man = 2,500 per day x 7 = 17,500kcals per week

So how, after having eaten absolutely nothing, are you going to create the other 50% of the deficit required? And don't say exercise cos that would be plain stoopid.

So now.... do you want to talk sensible?
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Possible? Yes.. depending on how much you weigh currently and if you're just starting out or have been in the game for a while...

typically heavy weight people can drop it faster also those who are barely starting the weight loss journey
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I hear the human head weighs about 10 pounds. I'm sure chopping off an arm would work too.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you could, I would assume at least 80% will be water weight, so what's the point if its not fat
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    The closest I have ever been to losing that much that quickly was 8 pounds in 2 weeks. That was done when I was heavier though and could burn more with exercise. I guess depending on your body it is possible just make sure your getting enough nutrition
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds in 3 days, but that was January 1st thru the 4th, when I began, and had 140 pounds to lose, it has been 2 to 2.5 pounds per week since (average), sometime less sometimes more....

If you do not have a lot to lose, probably not going to happen...or you will gain it right back.....
  • subliminaldominance
    Options
    Well, I don't think I"ll chop off my head, lol. I was seeing it more as a challenge, not necessarily something I must do. Maybe 5 lbs would seem more reasonable. I"m just looking for new ways to push myself without being stupid. I like to set goals and work towards them. I definitely do not want to do harm to myself.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It's possible if you have a looooooooot of weight. My doctor treats another patient and he was about 400 pounds when he started. During the first week dieting he lost 16 pounds. But now it's been his third month and he's been losing 3-5 pounds a week.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My first week of cutting the crap out of my diet and eating healthy, I dropped 10 lbs - mostly water weight. From your profile pic, I'd say you've been eating relatively healthy and already working out on at least a semi-regular basis.
    Unless you're talking about picking up a 10lb weight, getting on the scale, setting the weight down and weighing yourself again, I would highly recommend not attempting this challenge.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Easy to do but you will gain a majority of it back after. Majority of the loss will be water weight and come right back. If you want to push yourself go for more weight lifted or run a mile faster. IMO using the scale as a measurement of success can be detrimental to long term goals.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    As previously stated, it might be possible. What it won't be is fat, for the most part.
    Stay hydrated, buddy.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't think I"ll chop off my head, lol. I was seeing it more as a challenge, not necessarily something I must do. Maybe 5 lbs would seem more reasonable. I"m just looking for new ways to push myself without being stupid. I like to set goals and work towards them. I definitely do not want to do harm to myself.

:)

What other goals have you set? Can we help you with some new ones that might be more sensible? You never know, you might have started something....
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

You should focus on pushing yourself by setting goals that YOU control. The scale is not something you control as its influenced by a lot of factors. As several folks have said, hoping to lose more than 2-3 pounds in a week just sets you up for disappointment when you fail to meet unrealistic expectations. However, you can control things relating to nutrition (i.e., increase protein, reduce or eliminate processed foods, drink a gallon of water a day, etc.).....fitness (you don't necessarily need to work out longer, but you can focus on pushing harder during the time you are working out...take your exercise to the next intensity level). Focus on things you control. The scale will do whatever the scale does.
  • whipsmart10014
    Options
    At minimum, eight of those 10 pounds will be water weight, which you'll gain back the same day solid food passes your lips, so why bother? Leave the extreme crash diets to celebrities, models, and fitness competitors - even they understand how temporary any weight loss beyond 1-2lbs per week will be.

What about setting fitness, strength, or behavior goals instead?

Examples:
    1. I will incorporate three hill repeats into my running sessions this week.
    2. I will add two new compound movements my strength training program this.
    3. I will eat at least three servings of nutrient-dense vegetables every day this week.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The most I have lost was 1 lbs per week and that was when I had an eating disorder. If youre losing that much that quickly it is definitely not in a healthy way
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

If your profile pic is recent I would not suggest trying to lose more than 1lb/week. the less you have to lose the slower your loss should be to ensure that most of your loss comes from fat, and not lean muscle.