saw my doc.

borjanap
borjanap Posts: 232 Member
Well I saw my doc today. I stopped having my periods adn he told me to stop exercising. I will take his advice, but I am not used to not exercising. I really like it.What should I do?

Replies

• borjanap
    Well I saw my doc today. I stopped having my periods adn he told me to stop exercising. I will take his advice, but I am not used to not exercising. I really like it.What should I do?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member

just keep watching your intake and go for walks- no hard core exercising though--
  • Starlightdusk
    Starlightdusk Posts: 106 Member
    I don't know any doctor that would tell someone to stop exercising, cut back, slow down or change types yes but not stop. there are a lot of things that can cause you to stop having periods including your nutrition, however I would do some research on the web on my own if I were you.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Did he say it was unhealthy to stop your period or just that stopping exercise would bring it back? I have read some things that say that people with low body fat or high activity levels may stop their periods for a while (like cross country runners during sports season, and gymnasts etc) but I dont remember it saying anything about an ill affect on health. I think unless it concerns you for some reason that you should not worry about it - as long as your overall eating habits and exercise habits are not WAY off kilter (ie - exercising 3 hours a day or something...)

Is your BMI very low right now?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    I think you need to listen to your doctor
  • borjanap
    I am 5'7 and weigh around 130-133. my doc said that i seemed pretty healthy, but he thought I was exercising too much(I used to do 4-5 days a week of 30min-1hr of running, and some weights. but now I do 2-3 times a week of running 30-1hr.). He wanted to see weather my period would come back if I stopped exercising
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Your work out regime doesn't sound THAT hardcore that it could be affecting your health. I agree with what someone else said about gymnasts and cross country runners sometimes losing their periods because of their strenuous schedules, diet and extreme exercise. I have not had a period in four years because of the pill I am on....my doctor explained that because of my type of pill its ok to not ever have my period, but for the pills that you specifically alter them (IE only taking active pills back to back) is not good forever and you should let yourself have one every 3 to 4 months.....I am not exactly sure why.

But the loss of your period sounds healthy based on why you lost it.....whats healthier than exercise? I would get clarification or do some research on it or even get a second opinion, after all I am no doctor but thats just my opinion.
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Did he check your % body fat? If you are too low (I think it's like 12%) that will stop your periods
    Hormones? I have premature ovarian failure which caused me to stop having periods. That is tested for with test on estrogen and progesterone.
    Thyroid function? thyroid problems can mess up all sorts of stuff
    Pregnacy?
    Birth Control method/ switching birth control
    That amount of exercise doesn't seem excessive, but I believe that women that don't have period tend to lose bone density.

I would do some research and get a second opinion.

Good luck!
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    I have not had a period in four years because of the pill I am on....my doctor explained that because of my type of pill its ok to not ever have my period, but for the pills that you specifically alter them (IE only taking active pills back to back) is not good forever and you should let yourself have one every 3 to 4 months.....I am not exactly sure why. .

I quit have periods about 3 yrs ago, not menopause. I have to take progesterone to create a period, doctor says I am building up a lining and if it is not shed, the cells can turn cancerous. Maybe that's the same reason your doc says to go off the active pill several times a year.
  • bayaderka
    bayaderka Posts: 53
    You should rejoice in the fact that you don't have a bloody mess every month. It is good because it means you have little fat on your body.

4-5 times a week for an hour is very good exercise, 2-3 seems to little.

I exercise almost every day of the week for usually 2 hours. I don't menstruate either, I think its okay. I don't remember last time I menstruate.
  • borjanap
    no he did not check % body fat.The last time I had that tested it was around 20%. No thyroid and naot pregnant. They drew blood to see that as well. I have no idea. I just dont want not to be able to have kids because of this...
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    sometimes when people are active their periods become lighter or cease all together. My cousin was like that, when she started running her period stopped...and I know with me that when I work out regularly my period becomes a LOT lighter. But I would listen to your doctor. He probably told you that not because he thought you were over exercising but becuase that could be a factor. That way he can eliminate that as a problem. If your period comes back then he knows its just because your active. But if it doesn't then he knows to look into it further.
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    I think you should listen to your doc. Your profile shows relatively rapid weight loss with a long-standing pattern of dieting over the past 7-8 years. Give your body (and hormones) a chance to adjust to where you are now. If you find that not exercising causes your period to start again, you'll have an answer to why your period is not there now.

P. S. I know docs very commonly suggest NOT exercising if exercise-bulimia (a form of purging to compensate for calories consumed) is suspected . . .
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    I am 5'7 and weigh around 130-133. my doc said that i seemed pretty healthy, but he thought I was exercising too much(I used to do 4-5 days a week of 30min-1hr of running, and some weights. but now I do 2-3 times a week of running 30-1hr.). He wanted to see weather my period would come back if I stopped exercising

i'm sorry, but are we the same person? haha... i would say listen to your doctor and see if any results come about. im about your height/weight/build as well and work out like you used to and i'm doing fine in that area... i know every person's body is different; your doctor may just want to do a few tests to see if that is why you are not having your periods.