hip joint degeneration....now what excercise

Options
My MFP journey since last March has put me into a weight class I haven't seen since my 20's (I will be 58 next week). Along the way I realized how much muscle mass I had lost so the past couple months I've been really working on core stuff; squats and deadlifts in particular. My baseline excercises have continued to be walking, eliptical, some planks, and the usual basics like push-ups, and bench presses. My favorite 'must do' excercises has become flipping a rather large tire (~225 pounds) over 100 times-20+ minutes and running/jogging/walking 20 minutes. But in doing so I've developed some (serious) hip pain issues that have interfered with my daily work out routine.

Have now learned that my hip joints are in degenerative mode/arthritic. My alternating jogging/running routine and flipping the tire over 100 times is according to the doctor that examined me has caused my hip joints to become swollen. To continue will result in a sooner-to-be expected hip replacement. Plus pain will become a daily issue and I'll probably cease working out.

So.....what excecises can I do that will work my core but minimalize hip joint wear/tear???? I'm already working on a swimming pool to incorporate into my weekly program. But what machines or excercise that ~20 minutes works core stuff from hips/quads/glutes/abs/? I still whack the the tire 20 minutes-400 times right and left handed with a 16 pound sledge so upper body is good (along with push-ups).

Rowing???

Replies

• sissytx
    Options
    water exercise is very easy on the joints and is a real workout. I have hip problems also and even with the left lifts etc it has never been an issue.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    water exercise is very easy on the joints and is a real workout. I have hip problems also and even with the left lifts etc it has never been an issue.
    ditto on the water, great way to workout and so much easier on your joints! You can do strength training, jog, deep water workouts, most anything you can do outside the water you can do in some form or other in the pool.:drinker: :wink:
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    I have hip troubles also. The same thing...Degenerating hip joints. Just went to my doctor this pass week about it. Hip paincan be painful on a daily bases.I take meds and keep moving. Do yoga and alot of stretching..Glad your looking into other workouts programs. Swimming should help. good luck.
  • fletchbaby
    fletchbaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have would sticjk to lots of pool time and also stretch/hatha yoga, I have bad back problems arthritis in my back and have to be careful, also try low impact areobics,
  • bigbadbabz
    Options
    It'snot my hips, it's my knees. I do deep water workouts and I love to walk. I perfer to walk the malls away from the elements here in Calgary. I've also added Omega 3 into my diet. This is an anti inflamatory. I hear that drinking lots of water is a lubricant.

Keep up the determination. You are an inspiration.