Using MFP for 3 weeks, feeling really tired today

Options
I have been using MFP for several weeks now, exercising 5-6 times per week, and for the most part staying at or under my calorie count. However, I am just exhausted. It is harder and harder to concentrate and be excited about working out. I am trying to remind myself focus on changing my habits more than just losing, but I am tired. I try to eat balanced and drink water. Any ideas to increase my energy level?

Replies

• PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    What does your calorie allotment look like?
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Your diary isn't public, so I can't help all that much. But if you're working out that often, make sure you're eating enough. 1200 cals is generally too low for 5-6 days/week exercise (of course depending on your current height/weight). I made that mistake, was tired ALL THE TIME, and finally figured out I wasn't fueling my body enough for so much exercise! :) If you don't eat back exercise calories, do that. It'll help.

Try a multi vitamin if you don't take one, they bump up my energy levels when they're built up in my system (I take a women's daily multi and a b-complex). :) I also drink a lot of green tea and it helps give me energy with no calories and lots of health benefits. :)
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for several weeks now, exercising 5-6 times per week, and for the most part staying at or under my calorie count. However, I am just exhausted. It is harder and harder to concentrate and be excited about working out. I am trying to remind myself focus on changing my habits more than just losing, but I am tired. I try to eat balanced and drink water. Any ideas to increase my energy level?

Increase your calories and protein.
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just made my diary public and would love some feedback.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need to take another day off from working out. Don't know how hard you are working but for me, at my age (46), I can't work out 5-6 days a week. I do every other day or 2 days on, 1 day off. I blame peri-menopause for that.

Are you eating enough?
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I would work on your sodium intake and figure ways to lower that. Maybe find a whole grain bread as well. I know that I'm sensitive to sodium levels as well as grains and too much of those can make me feel tired.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What do your workouts look like?
  • kaleena1983
    kaleena1983 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be to cut out the refined carbs and go for whole grain. I would also recommend increasing your vegetables. I didn't see a whole lot of those in there. You have to increase/decrease to find what works best for you. After some trial and error, I found that a net 1800 was best for me. I can still lose 1-2 pounds per week, even though the "guided goals" say I'd need to be at net 1200.

Best of luck!
  • playprettie1
    playprettie1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I briefly looked at your diary and overall, I'd say try to incorporate more fruits and vegetables. There were some there, but not alot. Also, look at your water intake. This is something that I struggle with often (not sure if you are or not) but this can effect your energy level.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're eating a lot of prepackaged foods and eating out quite a bit. Try adding some fresh fruit and veggies to your diet.
    Instead of lunch meat, cook a whole chicken or a turkey breast and eat that for lunches or quick dinners during the week. On weekends I always try to have fresh fruit out on the kitchen table to snack on in passing. And remember to drink a lot of water.
  • danarandallreed
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I will incorporate the multivitamin for sure, increase veggies and possibly trying working out 4-5 days per week. I think I have the tendency to do too much in the beginning then burn out. I know my sodium is too high, but geesh I love some salty stuff. I even add salt to what I eat.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Without looking at your diary, it sounds like you have a calorie in/ calorie out imbalance. When I was working at too large of a deficit I felt tired and distracted. If you don't have a hrm, get a really good one to close up as much gap in your calorie counts. Make certain you are measuring and weighing all of your food to get that as close as possible too (food scale is more accurate than measuring cup). Fear will frequently have us underestimating our calorie estimation for expenditure and over estimating our consumption without tools to keep us reigned in, this can have us reaching greater deficits than we actually are aiming for . . . which is not necessarily a good thing. Make certain you're getting enough sleep, evaluate your food to ensure you're getting a variety of color to your veggies, or taking a multi vitamin (especially B vitamin).

Also, make certain you're achieving your net goal, not your gross goal.
  • danarandallreed
    Options
    I Iove MFP and all this support is the greatest tool for me at this point. It is a Godsend. Thanks again!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Up your calories just a little. Even 100 calories will do you good. 200 might do you very good.

Reduce your workout to 4-5 days.

Add protein to your diet. It looks like you're getting around 60 grams a day.

Keep most of your days balanced with higher protein than what you're consuming (aim for 30 grams more than you're eating now). Honestly, you're not fueling your workouts, and your body is telling you to eat more.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Increase Fruits , Veggies, Lean Meat and Legumes...Decrease all your processed foods maybe try to have one meal that is just a fresh salad with chicken breast with some beans and veggies and dressing and fruit on the side....
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    You seem to live of refined carbs and while you eat at a deficit ( which you don't do regularly ) you should be losing weight, it can be the reason for you feeling so listless, because much of what you eat really does not have any nutritional value: like for example 600 calories worth of ketchup, dressing, cream and bottled sauce in just one meal.
    Eat some more protein, more veggies, fruit and more variety and you will feel better. Eat at a deficit and you will lose.
    Also, check some of your calorie values. For example a tuna sandwich with mayo, pickles and eggs has more than 100 calories.
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I see A LOT of sugary processed foods: chocolaty cereals, McDonalds, pre-packed stuff, salty treats etc.

You might be hitting your calorie goals, but it's the foods themselves that are making you feel awful. Research "eating clean" and try to incorporate some of those ideas into your diet. I personally try to keep my meals simple: one protein, one vegetable, one healthy carb. A typical meal would be chicken breast, asparagus, and quinoa, or steak, corn on the cob, and brown rice. Of course I'm not 100% compliant, but if this is your goal and you reach for it, you'll do a world of good.

And switch to real butter instead of margarine. It's good for you. So are egg yolks. So is saturated fat. Try to get away from antiquated ideas of what is and isn't healthy. You have a lot of trans fats in your diet (I suspect), and THAT'S what you need to stay away from.

If you need some great recipe ideas, I like http://skinnytaste.com. It's a blog that focuses on "clean" low calorie recipes. I like that she gives you a calorie amount with her recipes. PLUS, all her recipes are in the MFP database.
  • danarandallreed
    Options
    Looking back over my food diary and exercise goals, I think I am in a bit of denial. I am not doing quite as well as I think. I need to really put forth more effort in my calorie intake, the value of what I am eating, and exercising more. However, today I feel as though I will hardly get through the day. I have already purchased a multi-vitamin. I am also going to bring my exercise ball to the office. I desire to lose weight, but mostly I want to change and the weight loss is the prize for changing. More protein, more veggies, less crap and enough rest....
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hi Dana

I also take a multi-vitamin and do check your iron levels too. I realised I was very low in iron so take a tablet for that. I am a little older than you, at 53, but the iron has made a huge difference and I don't feel so tired any more.

Re salt. It is definitely addictive. Congratulations for being brave enough to open up your diary. Heinz Tomato sauce has masses of salt, maybe you could start by cutting down on the stuff that is high in salt and trying to wean yourself off. I have been doing this for 2 years and rarely add salt anymore, but still love my crisps given half a chance!

Re the exercise, if you are working that hard then 1200 cals is quite low, your body may be hanging on to everything you have to keep its energy levels up. Maybe try increasing by 100-200 cals a day and see how you feel. The weight loss might be slower but you may feel much better!

Feel free to friend me if you like. I am certainly no saint and drink far too much wine, but my diary is open to friends. Good luck!
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    I just power on through w/excercise when I feel tired. It's a mind thing. Good luck to you.