Need Suggestions!

Options
Our oldest horse, who is a member of the family, came down with colic tonight. Scared the crap out of me. Thought we might have to put her down. So glad we didn't but it does mean I'm awake for the rest of the night.

Now, I don't want to get in game, because I'll loose my attention span and not pay attention to the horse. I obviously don't want to eat, but my mom's turned on a movie for us to watch through the porch windows and snacking and movies go hand in hand!

What would you do to stay awake? Remember I have to keep half my mind on a very sick horse.

Replies

• lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You could still nap but make sure you set your alarm clock for every 2-3 hours so you can go out and check on her. Do you know what caused the colic in the first place? Did she get into the grain, or into an apple orchard? As long as she stays on her feet and you walk her regularly she will likely pull through.
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The vet has come and gone. No idea what she got into but she's pretty badly scuffed up. Now it's just a matter of the vigil.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    poor horse! glad you dont have to put her down though!

do you have any celery? or sugar free gum? i know when i'm worried that chewing on something helps me, and celery may have calories in it....but you actually dont have to count them because the act of chewing them burns all of the minor calories they have.

do you draw or write? if you do, those are always good.

hope this helps and good luck to you and the horse!

(i also suggest caffeine of some form! cause there is no way i can see staying up all night like that and not accidentially drifting off :noway: )
  • rfialkiewicz
    Options
    Well, Mighty Mouse (younger horse) is out in the yard with her now and she's moving on her own. Our biggest concern is that she's blind, arthritic and 32, so when she lays down getting back up is a struggle and while she was down she scuffed sores on her hips, shoulders, and face so we don't want her lying down again and scuffing those sores any further.

We're a LOT less concerned about it now and now everyone's home so we're talking about shifts. But geez the old girl can give a scare.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Magazines? Crossword Puzzles? Music!! Upbeat music! Keeping some mental connection with the horse though....you never know.....she'll know you're there for her.

Good luck, keep us posted. (and if you don't mind, I'll send up a prayer too!)
  • rfialkiewicz
    Options
    I just realized something awkwardly funny.

I'm going to be watching to see a horse have a bowel movement until I turn 25.

(I was born at 1:04am on 9/11/1985. My shift is until 1:30am.)
  • jodi8135
    Options
    you are in a staple im sure there are some things with weight try doing some exercising it will help pass time and you can do it in front of the horse so you always have an eye on her. make the most out of the time. and good luck with the horse and my prayers are with you and your family.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    In this situation a big pile of horse poo would be a great birthday present! Keep us posted.
  • rfialkiewicz
    Options
    Thank you you all for your wonderful suggestions and support.

Jamie's condition worsened in the night. The vet was called back out and it was determined that between complications and her old age, the best thing was to put her down.

I'm extremely depressed right now and my calorie count for the next few days is probably going to be shot to mess.

For those of you who pray, please continue to keep my family in your prayers over the next couple of days. We really did loose a family member and it's all hit us that hard.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear that. Losing a family member, two or four leggs, is never good. I am sure Jamie had a good life and appreciated everything you did.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhhhh no.... I am SO sorry to hear that! *lots of hugs*
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i'm so sorry to hear about your horse. Losing a family member is always hard.

I used to have a kittycat named Jamie-- she's also crossed the Rainbow Bridge, so maybe she might greet your Jamie on the other side. :)