Serious Headache and Feeling Full

Options
I've only started MFP a few days ago and I stopped drinking caffeine about a week and a half ago. I have been through caffeine withdrawal before and i though this was the left over affects of it. But this headache has been going on for a few days now and after taking an Excedrin, which has some caffeine and usually helps, it is still here. I even woke up from my headache and was a bit dizzy. I've heard about going through sugar withdrawals or your body simply adjusting to a healthier, more nutritious diet. My main concern to all of you is have you gone through this and how long did it last? It's bumming me out. Headaches are no fun and I'm doing extremely well with not eating like crap.

The second part of my question is that I'm not feeling hungry very much. I understand that my body is still adjusting and whatnot. What I am concerned with is i am eating enough calories, but then I'll enter my teeny, tiny "workout" and then have "extra" calories to eat. These "workouts" are things I have been doing for years, though. I have ridden my bike to go to the grocery store or a friend's house for three years now. I don't feel as though these are legit workouts that deserve recording in my log. Should I be concerned that my metabolism isn't high enough? Should i still wait these symptoms out? How long should I wait them out before becoming concerned that I'm not doing enough? Thank you guys for all of your time. This community gives me someone to be held accountable to. Yes, i AM doing this for myself but motivation for me is a strange lady :)

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Headache: Enough water intake?

Hungry and exercise: Did you set MFP to sedenary or lightly active? How many lbs/week did you set it to lose? Are you using a HRM to estimate exercise calories or MFP?
  • rdst91
    rdst91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do believe i am getting enough water. i am trying to increase the amount of water i drink, but sometimes it's tough to get that much water down. I'm getting at least 5 cups a day and that's not taking into account any juices and water rich vegetables, like cucumbers-which i eat a ton of. I have MFP set to sedentary. I am a stay at home mom and the only real exercise i get is riding my bike down to the grocery store or gas station. I dont get my heart rate up most times when doing this since I am taking my four year old along for the ride-he sets the pace. I am not using a HRM...i guess i should be.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    In terms of headache: how did you stop caffeine? Did you stop cold-turkey? You might be better off gradually weaning (if you normally drank two cups of coffee a day, for example, try several days of one cup, several days of a half cup, etc.).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you have had a terrible headache for several days, you need to call your doctor. It may be diet related, but it could also be something serious.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count that type of bike ride as calories that need to be eaten back but what have your got your budget set at? Are you trying to live on 1200 calories now and making those up with cucumbers and lettuce?
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    If you have had a terrible headache for several days, you need to call your doctor. It may be diet related, but it could also be something serious.

This then.

If you are not feeling dehydraded (sounds like you are not) it could be something more serious and you should have it checked to be sure. If you are unwilling to go to the doctor right away, then start by getting more water in for a few days.. worst case it will make you go to the toilet more often.

You could log the bike ride as the lowest speed available.. and eat them back if you are hungry, or consider them as giving you a bit of a bumper for when you go to social outings. You have a long way to go, so it will seem like its easy to ignore the small things, but if you start at a too steep deficit you will be more likely to stall later on.

One thing though.. guess it depends on lifestyle but allot of stay at home moms are on their feet the whole day (chasing kids, doing housechores, etc) so sedenary might not be the correct setting? Depends on lifestyle though :)
  • DiamondRidge
    DiamondRidge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ^^^^This^^^^
  • rdst91
    Options
    Thanks folks! I guess I made my headache sound worse than it was. I can't ignore it, but it's not concerning as far as going to the doctor. More like I'm concerned that I'll have a headache for the next few years while I'm eating better and tracking my caloric intake. I ~think~ i have my food diary viewable...I'm eating well. Sticking pretty close to the amount of carbs, fat, and protein a person should be eating. I did stop drinking caffeine cold turkey. I would drink up to two Monster energy drinks a day, without a doubt at least one. Thanks, all, for your comments and responding. :)
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any relaxation techniques (e.g., hot bath, massage, meditation)? Perhaps it's tension related?
  • rdst91
    Options
    Now that, Azure7, just made a light bulb turn on in my head! If starting/reversing a lifestyle that you've had for years along with all the mental BS that goes with being overweight and unhappy doesn't give someone stress then I don't know what would! Thanks for that thought. Gonna go breath heavily for a few minutes. Maybe I'll have a green tea and give myself some caffeine, as well. :)
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I got off caffeine two years ago (44oz fountain coke - 1 to 4 daily), I took two tylenol with a large glass of water every morning as soon as I woke up for a week whether I had a headache at that moment or not. After that week, I stopped the tylenol and continued with the water and I was fine. No caffeine headaches.

And it is normal to not be hungry much during these first few weeks of eating healthy. I was concerned that I was not eating enough as well. Just add some nuts or avocado to your day, healthy fats that add calories.

Good luck!
  • cynthiadmail
    cynthiadmail Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This worked for me ( More water ) but please be careful when it comes to headaches as I lost a really good coworker to a aneurism who thought it was just a bad headache she was having.

I used to get migraines one or two a month at least . I got one especially bad got a while ago after a really good and intense workout. I was not drinking enough water. Ever since I have upped my water intake I have not had any headaches. I drink as much as I can before I hit the gym and after my workouts and thru out the day.
    I hope you have nothing more serious but yes always good to let the docs know of the headaches because you never know what it could be.
  • rdst91
    Options
    Thank you all for the reassurance and concerns. I am not one to shy away from the doctors. If it lasts too long or becomes too much I will surely go to the doctor. I guess I just wanted reassurance that other people have gone through the same thing. :)