Camping Food Ideas?

Options
kayemmgee5
kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
Does anyone have meal ideas (or snacks!) for camping?

We will be tent camping in a few weeks - we will be driving right up to our campsite so we can bring whatever we want.

Replies

• cclarkcts
    cclarkcts Posts: 97
    Options
    Bump. I am also taking my family camping and am terrified of the goodies..
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    camping??

weineys
    and
    booze.
    thats all you need.
    oh,,, marhsmallows/. for smores.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Last time, we brought homemade frozen vegetarian chili with nachos : we were gone for 3 days in the wilderness and didn't want to worry too much about meat spoiling....
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    this is what i bring:

fruits, veggies, natural quest bars, almonds, shakeology, almond milk
  • jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love camping! The group I go with are not at all concerned with healthy eating so it is hard for me. I just try to watch my portions. But I think camping is a great time to grill stuff over the open flame! My weakness is grilled chicken! But just about anything can be grilled so I say take advantage of the fire :)
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    camping??

weineys
    and
    booze.
    thats all you need.

I'm going to let myself have a beer or two! I was thinking of chicken bratwurst or turkey burgers (or turkey franks). Those would all be fair game!
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hot dogs
    Smores

Hobo dinners
    Hamburger or chopped steak
    pre-chopped potatoes/carrots/peppers
    Aluminum foil

Smores

Pre made granola
  • mmoonstars
    mmoonstars Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    wraps for meals! can be meat free or w turkey slices and lots of veggies and hummus

hummus and cucumber for snacks
    pb and apples
    self made trailmix from the bulk bins
    chips and salsa
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Burgers, sausages and beans for me! But fajitas are also good camping food. What do you have to cook on/with?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Last time we went camping we brought a frying pan and one of those little propane burners. For dinner I cooked Teriyaki pork and vegetables and for breakfast I made pancakes, kielbasa, peppers, onions and eggs. Just pre cut everything and bag it. The eggs I had already beaten and put in an airtight container.

And of course other ready to eat stuff.
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Was just recipe surfing and saw the recipe for "hobo dinners" on the grill or camp fire. Wrap your meat, veggies and diced potatoes in foil and plop on the heat. Can modify with chicken, etc.

http://www.food.com/recipe/hobo-dinners-for-campers-243949
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Jennie o extra lean turkey burgers on multigrain sandwich thins
    Pirate booty
    Oogave sodas and v8 sparkling fusions instead of booze
    Pretzels
    Applewood chicken sausages on whole wheat buns
    Special K chips, found with the crackers at the store
    Apples and individual jif peanut butter cups - you can get the premade ones or use tiny Tupperware
    Watermelon, must have
    Red pepper strips and hummus
    Turkey, chicken, low fat cheeses, spinach for sandwiches
    Hell, now I'm hungry.

Oh, and hard boiled eggs, turkey bacon, and Costco energy bars (found in the bread section) for breakfast
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    make a grilled chicken in a nice marinade, turkey burgers, and vegetable/meat kabobs over the grill. so yum!
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    when i went camping as a kid, my mom would always make us hobo dinners - you take some foil, put in some chicken or beef (cut up into small pieces), EVOO, onions, garlic, carrots, salt & pepper, and whatever else you want. wrap it up and toss it right into the fire and let it cook for like 30 minutes, depending on the type of veggies you put in it. you can add mushrooms, potatoes, broccoli, peppers, lemon juice, whatever you feel like. sweet potato or rutabaga would be good too.

for snacky stuff, my list would definitely include fresh fruit, almonds, jerky, cheese sticks and some protein bars. have fun!
  • kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to stay healthy? Or working it off?

Healthy-
    Chicken
    Eggs
    Hobo Stew- take ground beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, onion soup mix and put them all together in a foil pouch to steam in your campfire coals for around an hour. You can do this with any protein/veggie/seasoning combo and it would be delicious.
    Potatoes- baked in coals
    Granola/energy bars
    Trail mix

Less healthy-
    Hot dogs
    Smores
    Camp eclairs- cresent rolls wrapped around a wide stick and baked over fire, slide off stick, fill with chocolate pudding and top with whipped cream.
    Breakfast burritos
    Anything from a delicious dutch oven
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    meat, washed-n-sliced raw veggies, marshmallows
  • jdowski
    jdowski Posts: 5
    Options
    I always bring a gallon sized baggie of baby carrots and a gallon sized baggie of grapes. I set them out right next to the chips on our "buffet" table and make sure I take some of each with my meal. At least if I am not eating very healthy I know I had something nutritious on my plate with each meal. And I bring a gallon sized baggie of cherries to eat while sitting by the fire. I still have a few smores, but the cherries keep my hands and mouth pretty busy.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hebrew national fat free hot dogs, vodka, low/no calorie mixer. That's a night right there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    camping??

weineys
    and
    booze.
    thats all you need.

I'm going to let myself have a beer or two! I was thinking of chicken bratwurst or turkey burgers (or turkey franks). Those would all be fair game!

I camp all of the time...I eat pretty much the same stuff I eat at home. Heading out this coming weekend for 3 nights...my menu...

Saturday dinner - homemade Texas range chili and flour tortillas

Sunday Breakie - 2 eggs, bacon, hash browns, fruit

Sunday Lunch - PB&J and fruit while we're out on the trail

Sunday Dinner - Burgers and sweet corn

Monday Breakie - Breakfast Burritos

Monday Lunch - PB&J and fruit while we're out on the trail

Monday Dinner - Top Sirloin on the grill, quinoa pilaf, sauteed green beans

Snacks...always plenty of fruit, a couple big bags of popcorn that I'll make before we head out...trail mix, nuts, etc...probably some tortilla chips and salsa...most likely bring a few avocados up as well. Lots of beer for me...lots of wine for my wife.

Also, pay attention to those labels...a lot of that chicken/turkey sausages and links have just as many calories and fat as traditional pork versions. That's not necessarily a bad thing...fat doesn't make you fat...just something to be aware of because people think they're eating so much better with this stuff, when in reality it's often the pretty much the same.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    S'mores. Graham Cracker, Chocolate, Marshmallow.

"You're killing me Smalls! These are s'more's stuff! Ok, pay attention. First you take the graham, you stick the chocolate on the graham. Then you roast the 'mallow. When the 'mallows flaming... you stick it on the chocolate. Then cover with the other end. Then you scarf. Kind of messy, but good! Try some!"