Scale stress!!

Options
How does everyone stay off the scale!!?? I have a complete compulsion to weigh myself every morning!! I tried going to once a week & I even put the scale in my guest bathroom closet!! Am I the only one that deals with this!!??

Replies

• Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't. I'm actually interested in how my weight fluctuates during the day, so I often weigh myself a few times a day. There is nothing wrong with doing this, as long as you are able to keep in mind that it's the overall TREND that matters, and not the number on the scale at any given moment. I say weigh yourself daily, but only RECORD the measurements on Monday or Friday morning.
  • AnDiallo
    AnDiallo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I actually do weigh myself every morning before I eat breakfast , bearing in mind I want to see the trends more than the actual number.
    If , for some reason, I need to decrease the regularity of my weighing, as soon as I get up I drink as much water as I can to 'sabotage' the scale reading, and that stops me weighing for that day.
  • nmidwood13
    nmidwood13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I either get on every day or not at all. I think I need to get on it every other day, if I go longer then 2 days then I'm actually scared to get on and I don't and by the time I do my weight is not what it should be. I think I need to get on every other day to keep myself in check. Sometimes I don't get on because I'm afraid of the effect it will have on me if it's bad.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh every day to help me stay on track. I don't think there is anything wrong with daily weighing as long as you understand it can fluctuate - some people upwards of 5lbs. Water, sodium, exercise etc can all affect the weight each day. But I like to know what I'm in for each day and if I need to buckle down a bit or if I'm on track.
  • heather_hearts_travel
    heather_hearts_travel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I weigh every day, but I only record the number once or twice a week. That way, I'm keeping my finger on the pulse of my progress, but I'm not harassing my friends with every .2 loss in my newsfeed. Also, it is better to track the weekly trend rather than the daily details.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself everyday is foolish, cause like you've already admitted you are "stressed" and "obsessed" with it. Your body can naturally fluctuate from day to day, just solely based on water consumption. You are creating a nightmare for yourself and I highly suggest you stop.
  • bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Have someone hide it from you so you don't know where it is!
  • CeeFaith1
    CeeFaith1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I completely empathize with you. I wake up every day wanting to weigh myself. Often times the number on the scale dictates my day. If I weigh less, I feel good and feel as if I can have an extra snack. If I gain, I get depressed and end up eating more because I feel like all of my efforts are not paying off. Of course, its probably only water weight but that is not what my brain perceives. Something that helped me was weighing in at night. When I weigh in at night I can keep track of whether Im losing or not and I know that the number is often 2 or more pounds less in the morning. I'm often surprised on weigh in day that I lost more than I've been estimating from my nightly weigh-ins. I am trying not to get on the scale at all now though because I want to practice more self control and know that a number on a scale shouldn't dictate how I feel.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It's an arbitrary, rando number with a multitude of factors that make up that number...I don't obsess about arbitrary numbers. I obsess about my nutrition and my fitness and the rest just takes care of itself. I'm far more interested in how healthy and fit I am.
  • ghawk23
    ghawk23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I weigh daily but don't let it frustrate you. What I've learned is I can be on a plateau for a few days then finally get some movement.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I weigh daily but don't let it frustrate you. What I've learned is I can be on a plateau for a few days then finally get some movement.

Being the same weight for "a few days" is hardly a plateau.
  • Eabec
    Eabec Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My partner hid my scale. I refuse to weigh for a while. I kept "gaining" on the scale - but losing on the body. My clothes fit better and I feel better. I work out but I also have a sodium sensitivity so any small stray with the salt adds upwards of 8lbs on me at times (my fault for loving sodium rich foods). Then I get depressed when i see the number rise on my scale.

So, I am much happier doing what Im doing. I adjusted my tracking to even out. I will weigh again at some point...but for now, I will let my clothing show my progress!

Seems its a personal choice about weighing daily. Its just different for everyone!
  • IronMan_DuhamNC
    Options
    Most of us weigh everyday we just record one a week. Satisfies the urge
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have two scales one at home and one at work. The one at home I step on probably every morning. (Normally naked) But the one at work is the one I started with, and I only step on that once a week around the same time. The work scale is the one I track. By doing this my weight may fluctuate at home, but the work scale I can look in my notebook and see progress.

I will say the thing that inspires me the most is being able to look at the chart over a few months and see the reduction. Maybe not as fast as I would like, but progress, one step at a time.
  • katz6910
    katz6910 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Serial weigher here too. It drives me mad, but it drives me mad not to weigh every day too. So it's a lose lose situation for me. I'd love to let go of the control but I can't :frown:

5638134.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    On my program I weigh-in once a week, on Sunday mornings. I don't even own a scale. I find it keeps me from obsessing over daily fluctuations.