My son wants to run with me

Options
I didn't really tell my kids that I was running for a while. It's my quiet time in the evening after they go to bed.

Well now my first 5k is coming up on Friday and I was telling someone else about it and my son overheard. Now he says he wants to do it with me.

He's 7 years old, he's very active, and I think running would be a good release of energy for him.

What should I do? It's obvious he can't run the whole thing. Do you think he could run the 1 mile fun run before the 5k? I don't have anyone to run it with him, is 7 too young to do it by himself? Or could I have him meet me for the last half mile of the 5k and run with me? Is that frowned upon?

Replies

• short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    I saw some younins at my first 5k race, maybe youngest being 9 or 10. Maybe he could bring a bike or scooter so he won't tire out but still participate?
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I saw some younins at my first 5k race, maybe youngest being 9 or 10. Maybe he could bring a bike or scooter so he won't tire out but still participate?

Is that usually allowed? That would be a great idea.

I'm sure he could do it with some practice, but we only have 5 days.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Check the race rules. Many races will have explicit rules against anyone who is not a registered runner running through the finish line and even those that don't specifically prohibit it, won't love the idea.

A healthy seven year old can probably do a mile (just let him know that walking is always an option if he feels worn out).
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options

Is that usually allowed? That would be a great idea.

I'm sure he could do it with some practice, but we only have 5 days.

I ment during practice only :) During the actual race it likely wouldn't be allowed :(
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    If he's ok with doing the fun run, let him go for it. If he insists on being with you, do you think he could make it if you both ran a little and walked a little? I think it's great he wants to get some exercise and spend time with his mom.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    How great that he wants to run with you! Enter him in the fun run (if it's geared towards children and he's a fairly confident boy he'll be fine by himself) and tell him you can maybe try running he 5K together for your next race (he can come out and have a go at run-walking with you for increasingly longer distances beforehand to practice. At a race you run with your son it will have to be about his speed so don't anticipate any PBs for it.
  • pippywillow
    Options
    Check the race rules. Many races will have explicit rules against anyone who is not a registered runner running through the finish line and even those that don't specifically prohibit it, won't love the idea.

A healthy seven year old can probably do a mile (just let him know that walking is always an option if he feels worn out).

I was afraid of that.
    If he's ok with doing the fun run, let him go for it. If he insists on being with you, do you think he could make it if you both ran a little and walked a little? I think it's great he wants to get some exercise and spend time with his mom.

I'm not sure, he might be able to or he might get sick of it halfway through.

I think I'll take him for a walk with me tomorrow night and see how he does with going a long distance.
  • pippywillow
    Options
    The other thing I was thinking of was running the 1 mile fun run with him then doing the 5k. I'd get a 20 minute break in between, but that might just be insane.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Let him do it, but keep your cell phone handy and have Dad nearby to pick him up if he cant make it. I would tell him though that if he does it no matter how slow he has to finish it.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Let me just say, you might be surprised at how much endurance your son has. He's 7 years old, his joints and muscles are 7 years old, not to mention he's not carrying the weight of an adult. My son ran his first 5k at 5 years old. No practice, no conditioning. He just got out of the stroller and ran beside me. If your son wants to run, let him run. Run with him. Let him push you. It's such an awesome experience! My kids and I all run together now once a week. We look forward to it! :happy:
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    At the park last week, I saw an awesome family running together, mom, dad and about six kids with one in a jogging stroller.

It was inspirational!!!!

Someone here posted advice on making that time about the kid, because they obviously need to be cared for. Maybe find other ways times to run with him so you can focus on yourself during your first 5K.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i run with my daughter., its great!
  • pippywillow
    Options
    Let me just say, you might be surprised at how much endurance your son has. He's 7 years old, his joints and muscles are 7 years old, not to mention he's not carrying the weight of an adult. My son ran his first 5k at 5 years old. No practice, no conditioning. He just got out of the stroller and ran beside me. If your son wants to run, let him run. Run with him. Let him push you. It's such an awesome experience! My kids and I all run together now once a week. We look forward to it! :happy:

Thank you, I think you're right maybe I should let him try.
    At the park last week, I saw an awesome family running together, mom, dad and about six kids with one in a jogging stroller.

It was inspirational!!!!

Someone here posted advice on making that time about the kid, because they obviously need to be cared for. Maybe find other ways times to run with him so you can focus on yourself during your first 5K.

That is sweet, I wish Dad would come with us, maybe someday.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    The other thing I was thinking of was running the 1 mile fun run with him then doing the 5k. I'd get a 20 minute break in between, but that might just be insane.

Maybe for your first time (my first time I was exhausted at the end of the 5k) But once you are comfy with the race environment (energy levels are crazy!!) You shoudl try and go for this! I would :)
  • Alphaeater
    Alphaeater Posts: 12
    Options
    I agree with letting this be your time. If he wants to do the kid mile by himself, fine; if not, he can meet you at the finish and you can make plans to do another one in a week or two. Like SarahCate, my son did his first 5k when he was 5, and while our plan was to have him run with his mom, it was clear 100 meters in that she was no match for him. He took off at a 10 or 11 minute mile pace and she never saw him again until the finish. It ends up that he had a blast while she worried about him the whole time until the end. Do your thing this time and enjoy the fruits of your progress. There will be other races for him.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    He would do fine on the fun run by himself. It's really just a follow the herd kind of thing.

My kids have done 5Ks as well - starting at age 8. My daughter trained for it during Girls on the Run. My son did not, but walked much of it with my husband. This year, at age 9, my son ran a good portion of it with my husband while my daughter and I ran together.
  • pippywillow
    Options
    I agree with letting this be your time. If he wants to do the kid mile by himself, fine; if not, he can meet you at the finish and you can make plans to do another one in a week or two. Like SarahCate, my son did his first 5k when he was 5, and while our plan was to have him run with his mom, it was clear 100 meters in that she was no match for him. He took off at a 10 or 11 minute mile pace and she never saw him again until the finish. It ends up that he had a blast while she worried about him the whole time until the end. Do your thing this time and enjoy the fruits of your progress. There will be other races for him.

There are plenty of other people he knows doing the race at all different speed levels. I think he'd be pretty safe if he did go off ahead of me.

Oh I'm just so undecided!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I often see people at 5ks with their kids running too. I agree it's a good way for him to burn energy and it also gets him in the habit of working out at an early age.

If you don't want to have to worry about watching him at the race, you can just do training runs with him. When I was a kid my mom used to take me to her weekly track workouts at the local high school. I could run on my own while she did her thing since she could always keep an eye on me on the track. It was fun for both of us and she still got to get in her workout without me causing her to have to slow down.