Having Problems Getting All My Protein In

Options
I just started and am having trouble eating all the protein I need to get in. Any words of wisdom from some of you who have been around for awhile? Thanks.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I try to have at least 15-20 grams of protein with every meals, and I try to include it in my snacks. I eat quite a bit of egg whites, Greek yogurt, lowfat cheese, lunch meat, ground turkey/turkey products. I eat fairly regularly, chicken, beans, nuts/nut butters. My low carb bread I like has 5 grams of protein a serving. Fish and shrimp are also really great sources of protein. If you eat grains/pasta, you can switch to quinoa as a higher protein alternative.
  • ynvme76
    ynvme76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    do you drink protein shakes? if so add 2 scoops, that should put you at about 50 ounces of protein. then eat more fish throughout the day.
  • nagatron
    nagatron Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    eat foods that are high in protein
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Trutein -- Cinnabun flavor
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I try to have at least 15-20 grams of protein with every meals, and I try to include it in my snacks. I eat quite a bit of egg whites, Greek yogurt, lowfat cheese, lunch meat, ground turkey/turkey products. I eat fairly regularly, chicken, beans, nuts/nut butters. My low carb bread I like has 5 grams of protein a serving. Fish and shrimp are also really great sources of protein. If you eat grains/pasta, you can switch to quinoa as a higher protein alternative.

These are all great suggestions. I also use a protein powder some days to give me a little bit more protein. I use milk, protein powder and greek yogurt in a shake.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    Chicken
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Chicken
    Fish

Oh...more chicken.

Also: Eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, edamame, brussel sprouts

When in need of a bit more add a protein bar (Quest is great; low cal, high fiber, low carb and 20g protein) or a protein shake.
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Since I like to eat, I'd much rather eat protein than drink it. I've tried many protein powders and such. Some were ok. Some tasted like crap no matter what you did to it.

I buy chicken tenderloins and I'll grill them or have venison sausage, lean pork chops or other high protein meats. It satisfies me much more than drinking protein, plus the calories aren't that much higher than drinking when sticking to very lean cuts.
  • busdriver2011
    Options
    don't forget cottage cheese--that has very high protein in just half a cup :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What are your protein goals?

I'd suggest eating more poultry, fish, beef, etc...

My protein goals are pretty substantial...about 140-150 grams per day so I usually have to supplement with whey to get there.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt...one cup has 23 grams of protein alone and it's very versatile. I used it to make chicken salad yesterday....yum!!
  • meadowsmummy
    meadowsmummy Posts: 108
    Options
    Cottage Cheese has 16 g in half a cup
    sunflower seeds, almonds, any nuts really.
    PB
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    do you drink protein shakes? if so add 2 scoops, that should put you at about 50 ounces of protein. then eat more fish throughout the day.

50 ounces of protein? Dear God, that comes out to 5670 calories. That may be overkill :laugh:
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have trouble too. I don't particularly like meat, so its very challenging for me. I drink protein powder every day. I really like the bodylogix chocolate. It has 122cals and 25g protein (best protein to cal ratio I have found) and no artificial sugars, no gmos, no milk hormones, etc... i can get it at meijer and its not too expensive. I drink 2 scoops (in water...its good like this and AMAZING in milk) after my workouts which gets me 1/3 of my way for the day.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, and there are so many different ways to make them.
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options

50 ounces of protein? Dear God, that comes out to 5670 calories. That may be overkill :laugh:

I really need to get out and do some exercise because that cracked me up :laugh:
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is not a high protein food - 12 grams of protein is only half a normal protein serving.
  • JuliesInsulinResistance
    Options
    Thanks, I can see I need to get used to eating more frequently and allowing myself more protein food on my plate.
  • JuliesInsulinResistance
    Options
    I have trouble too. I don't particularly like meat, so its very challenging for me. I drink protein powder every day. I really like the bodylogix chocolate. It has 122cals and 25g protein (best protein to cal ratio I have found) and no artificial sugars, no gmos, no milk hormones, etc... i can get it at meijer and its not too expensive. I drink 2 scoops (in water...its good like this and AMAZING in milk) after my workouts which gets me 1/3 of my way for the day.

I was wondering when I saw folks recommending protein powder which one might be a good one. I like the fact this bodylogix doesn't have artificial sugar, that is a bad trigger for me.

Thanks everyone for your help.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options

I was wondering when I saw folks recommending protein powder which one might be a good one. I like the fact this bodylogix doesn't have artificial sugar, that is a bad trigger for me.

Thanks everyone for your help.

122 calories for 25 grams of protein seems just average to me. Look at bodybuilding.com for reviews. I also dont get enough protein, mostly because I don't like to eat the foods that are high in protein (I don't eat poultry, don't like meat in general, don't like eggs, don't like cottage cheese). I started drinking protein shakes a couple months ago, without them I would never come close to my protein goals! I tried Whey Gourmet because it's widely recommended as one of the better tasting brands. Some others I want to try are:

Optimum – chocolate mint, chocolate coconut, rocky road, 24g of protein, $37 2lb – 30g serving, cal:120 ($1.22/serving)
    Allmax Isoflex – chocolate mint, chocolate peanut butter, 27g of protein, $43 2lb – 30g serving, cal:115 ($1.42/serving)
    Dymatize – chocolate mint, 24g of protein, $39 2lb – 30g cal:117 ($1.28/serving)
    Whey Gourmet – Chocolate peanut butter, cappuccino, 21g of protein, $36 2lb – 30g serving, cal:120 ($1.19/serving)
    Allmax IsoNatural – Chocolate or Vanilla, 28g of protein, $43 2lb – 30g serving, cal:120 ($1.42/serving)
    IsoGold – chocolate peanut butter, 27g of protein, $39 2lb – 40g serving, cal:130 ($1.72/serving)

This is just a list I made for myself, these are from vitamart.ca but are availble on other websites too. I singled these out for having good reviews, interesting flavours, low calories, high protein, and overall clean ingredients.