Casein protien powder?

Options
I recently read an article in Muscle and Fitness Magazine and wanted some feedback. First, I guess I should give some background:
I am 38 years old, 5'9, 147 lbs. My goal is to lose a few lbs, lower my body fat percentage and gain a little muscle (I would like to be more toned.) I have a problem with late night eating (that is when I am the hungriest) and I read that casein powder would be a good option. The article seemed to be more geared towards men, so I wasn't sure if this would be suitable for me. What do you think?

Replies

• fitocordon
    fitocordon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You know, this is a great question and unfortunately it seems like not many people know the answer... I personally prefer whey protein based on what I have read.. But this article talks about the different types of protein and its geared specifically at woman. I hope it helps!!
    http://top10supplements.com/what-is-the-best-protein-powder-for-women/
  • UndercoverAngel74
    UndercoverAngel74 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I appreciate your feedback! The article said it was best to use both types--whey in the morning and casein at night. I'll check out the article you suggested.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Pick a powder (whey, casein or a blend).... when it comes to weight loss, it's about calories. Protein will just help with muscle retention. Also, if you are hungriest at night, plan your day to eat more calories at night.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I was told the casein stuff was better for building muscle over night. Just bought some Dessert Protein from USN which mixes like a mousse and you eat just before you go to bed (I have banana caramel flavour). As I've just started weight training again I thought I'd give it a try.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    For satisfying hunger better," casein is the way to go. Not only that, I think it tastes much better than whey. I would definitely recommend casein before bed over any of the other types of proteins. Taste-wise, Dymatize cinnamon bun and dymatize cookies and cream can't be beat in my opinion. Although syntha-6 is another awesome tasting protein, it has more carbs and calories compared to dymatize.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article in Muscle and Fitness Magazine and wanted some feedback. First, I guess I should give some background:
    I am 38 years old, 5'9, 147 lbs. My goal is to lose a few lbs, lower my body fat percentage and gain a little muscle (I would like to be more toned.) I have a problem with late night eating (that is when I am the hungriest) and I read that casein powder would be a good option. The article seemed to be more geared towards men, so I wasn't sure if this would be suitable for me. What do you think?

Whey Protein is a fast digest protein which makes it great for meal replacement and post workout shakes. Casein is slow digestion protein which is why it is great for bedtime shakes, cause it takes your body a good 6+ hours to digest it.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I have a Casein shake after dinner most evenings. The Optimum Nutrition Casein (chocolate) and a TBSP of PB2 with soy milk.....yum!!!
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options

Whey Protein is a fast digest protein which makes it great for meal replacement and post workout shakes. Casein is slow digestion protein which is why it is great for bedtime shakes, cause it takes your body a good 6+ hours to digest it.

This, but i would like to add that the "perfect" meal replacement is a mix of casein and whey. Some protein blends have casein and whey. Or you could take Whey and then 3 hours later complete it with some casein protein.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have a Casein shake after dinner most evenings. The Optimum Nutrition Casein (chocolate) and a TBSP of PB2 with soy milk.....yum!!!
    That actually sounds amazing. I may have to try the PB in mine tonight.

OP - Casein shakes also help me sleep deeper throughout the night.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

I add 1-2 tbs of PB2 to all my casein shakes! bombdotcom :love:
  • UndercoverAngel74
    UndercoverAngel74 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! Appreciate your help!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I used to drink casein before bed, and honestly i think it's a waste of money. It's more expensive than whey, and you can just make a whey protein shake and add peanut butter to slow down the digestion. I usually buy my whey in bulk so its cheaper. The texture of casein is not like whey, its like mixing water and saw dust.
  • MrsWillard13
    Options
    Another good alternative is cottage cheese :)
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i love my casein powder. :) I use it at night to stop snacking. choc / vanilla mixed with coconut water. awesome.