Coconut Oil

aotto87
aotto87 Posts: 50 Member
I have been doing a little internet research on coconut oil. Anyone here use it (to cook with, supplement, or beauty tricks)? Any tips or advice? Where do you buy yours from and do you buy refined/unrefined? If you use it as a supplement, do you notice a difference in your energy level, and how much are you consuming daily? Sorry for all the questions..... All comments appreciated!!!!!

Replies

• chainone
    chainone Posts: 42
    I originally bought some to cook with. It's not the expensive unrefined raw stuff, though I will consider that when this tub is done.

I never actually got around to cooking with it! I started using it as a body lotion and hair remedy, so I moved the whole jar to the bathroom. It stays liquid and I just dip my fingers in, run it around in my palms for a bit and massage it on. It works best if your hands are a little wet.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    I originally bought coconut oil for popcorn. I put a bit in the bottom of my popcorn maker, add popcorn and cook until popped. Gives it a great flavour. I have started to cook with it now and again. I find it pricey so I don't use it as my sole cooking oil. I haven't noticed any changes though since starting to use it. It's just another cooking oil.

It is great to moisturize skin, and hair. I have a tiny jar with a bit in it in my bathroom and when my hair is feeling pretty dry I rub a TINY bit between my fingers and run though my hair. I also use it as a lip moisturizer and a makeup remover sometimes.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    i smear it all over me and tan in it.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    i smear it all over me and tan in it.

LOL
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    I use it to cook, I love it
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    I've been using it for a few years to cook with, bake with, use on my hair and skin as well as my kids. Sometimes I add it to my tea if I need more fat in my diet. I also add to my kids ezekiel toast in the morning to give them some good fat. I use unrefined, cold pressed.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I have been doing a little internet research on coconut oil. Anyone here use it (to cook with, supplement, or beauty tricks)? Any tips or advice? Where do you buy yours from and do you buy refined/unrefined? If you use it as a supplement, do you notice a difference in your energy level, and how much are you consuming daily? Sorry for all the questions..... All comments appreciated!!!!!

Coconut is a bad fat because it is processed. Processing = bad
  • I use it to cook with but I have mainly used it for skin care for myself as well as for my kid's diaper rash. It makes food so moist and taste great
  • Unrefined extra virgin coconut oil is one of the best oils out there!!!!
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    I've used coconut oil for the past couple of years as moisturizer. The other day I don't know what came over me (aliens? :laugh:), but I mixed a tablespoon with nutritional yeast and put in on popcorn. Delicious!
  • mchuck01
    mchuck01 Posts: 3
    I buy Nutrvia brand. I use it to sautee veggies, smells great!
  • aotto87
    aotto87 Posts: 50 Member
    For the people using it for skin care...Do you use it on your face? I am worried it would make me break out...
  • Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    I heard it is good brain food
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    I have dry skin and very curly hair that tends to dryness. About a year ago I bought some coconut oil and I'm a convert now. I buy Spectrum's Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil at the grocery store, it comes in a big plastic tub and is inexpensive. It's improved my skin soooo much (I haven't had an issue with dry skin since, and my cuticles no longer crack and split in the winter). I love it (I don't cook with coconut oil tho so couldn't tell you much about that).
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I cook with it (usually a nice stir fry) and I've added a teaspoon to my coffee to get some additional fat in. It is good, adds a great flavor, but it hasn't been life altering. Just an alternative to olive oil for me.
  • It actually clears up my face!
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    For the people using it for skin care...Do you use it on your face? I am worried it would make me break out...

I'm prone to breakouts and haven't had any so far with the coconut oil. I use it very sparingly though on my face - just a few drops where it's needed.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    It's the BEST for the haircare! I put it on for 2-12 hours and it does wonders to my hair! It's the easiest to wash off later with shampoo.

I used to eat it (one small spoon a day) because it was prescribed by my doctor.

I don't use it for my skin, coconut oil is too comedogenic.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Never knew you could cook with it. I buy it from the Pharmacy, for my daughter diaper rash. Best stuff ever. Very sensitive skin and it clears it up better than anything else.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    As for unrefined/refined, virgin/extra virgin, etc...refined is said to be better for cooking and baking because it can withstand higher heats. That being said, I haven't had any problems cooking or baking with unrefined. There is also centrifuged coconut oil which is probably the best way to 'process' the oil but it's difficult to find. With refined & unrefined, you'll still have a bit of the coconut taste, albeit very mild (depending on the brand). Centrifuged basically has no taste or even milder than refined/unrefined. As for virgin or extra virgin...there is no difference, it's a marketing ploy.