What do you pack for lunch???

Options

Replies

• bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My usual round-up is Greek yogurt (whatever kind), string cheese, mini Babybel cheese (I know you said those last two won't work for you), edamame, fruit, carrots, some kind of almonds or trail mix.

ETA: I will also frequently bring in a thawed Ziploc baggie of homemade chili and heat it up in the microwave...
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I had left over Chinese- Mongolian beef.

If I ate half of these lunches I think I personally would starve.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    lunch today was homemade turkey meatloaf (used oats as filler) w/roasted broccoli and watermelon...
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I take a ceramic bowl, olive oil cooking spray and a dozen eggs to work! I eat a lot of scrambled eggs. Pretty easy to do at work. I keep some salsa, cajun seasoning, and avocado too on hand.

I also eat a ton of sugar snap peas. You can get them in the lettuce section of your grocery store. They are awesome. A bit sweet, crunchy and very addictive. You can eat them plain like I do, dip them in ranch, or in hummus.

mmmm...sugar snap peas!!... super addicitive, agreed!!
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Organic Tuscan Kale, add croutons & raspberry vinaigrette. Very crunchy but tasty lunch!
  • CaraMeghan79
    Options
    baked sweet potato, stuffed with what ever I feel like
    ..feta cheese and garlic sprouts
    ..avocado and diced tomato
    ...pickles
    ..olives
    ..spinach and currants
    ..and a dash of balsamic vinegar and cracked pepper
    Delish!
  • kellyhdent
    kellyhdent Posts: 46
    Options
    Today I brought: whole wheat wrap, sun butter, bean salad w/tomatoes + spinach, sunflower seeds, pretzels, pineapple + boiled eggs. Mmmmmmm!
  • halama626
    halama626 Posts: 16
    Options
    I used to eat salad everyday and I got really sick of it. I usually bring a smart one meal since most of the ones that I like are under 300 calories, some grapes, cherries, carrots, broccoli, yogurt, string cheese, for snacking on or the 100 calorie kettle corn popcorn bags are good. For breakfast I usually pack a cereal bar or eat a hard boiled egg since I don't have time to eat at home before I leave. I also will bring left overs from the night before if there is any left! :) Sometimes if I want a sandwich I make it on the 100 calorie flat breads with turkey and cheese, pop it in the microwave for about 25 seconds and ends up to be around 266 calories!
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I take a ceramic bowl, olive oil cooking spray and a dozen eggs to work! I eat a lot of scrambled eggs. Pretty easy to do at work. I keep some salsa, cajun seasoning, and avocado too on hand.

I also eat a ton of sugar snap peas. You can get them in the lettuce section of your grocery store. They are awesome. A bit sweet, crunchy and very addictive. You can eat them plain like I do, dip them in ranch, or in hummus.

mmmm...sugar snap peas!!... super addicitive, agreed!!

Totally agree on the sugar snap peas!!! They pack enough crunch to solve my chip cravings. :)
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I plan what I want for lunch for the week (I eat the same thing for any given work week), shop, then cook it all Sunday. If you can eat the same food 5 days in a row, this makes lunch planning/prep quite easy.
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Often for me it's sliced lunch meat (turkey, ham, or pastrami), raw vegies like broccoli, carrots, zuchini, and some reduced fat Triscuits. Oh, and I put Laughing Cow cheese on the crackers. Sort of like a grownup Lunchable.

I hadn't thought about baked sweet potatoes for lunch. Great idea, Cara!

Oh, and I try to stay away from frozen entrees when possible, because even though they are low in calories, they are highly processed and usually high in sodium.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    last night's leftovers (I had chili today)
  • Veslus
    Veslus Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I eat paleo, so no grain or dairy...when I packed her lunch for today it looked like this:

Leftover beef stew
    Chicken drumsticks
    Sauteed asparagus
    Steamed broccoli
    Sweet potato hash
    4 hard boiled eggs
    Ants on a log (Celery with sun nut butter and raisins. Almond butter works too, but sun nut butter was cheaper this time at the store.)
    A cup of homemade trail mix

...it sounds like a lot of food, but she's on duty today (she's military) so her shift is 24 hours. Frankly I'm concerned I didn't pack enough!
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Leftovers, soup, salads (I try and vary them between veggies, fruits, and combo), wraps, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, tuna with whole grain noodles, frozen meals, and yes, sometimes sandwiches.

As you can tell, I don't always have the same things...:wink:
  • adnamalegna
    adnamalegna Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I had Salad with 2 cups greens, 1 pkt Herb and Garlic tuna, 1/4 c of sweet peas, and 2 tsp shredded cheese. No dressing, and it was delightful! I'll have a grapefruit later for a snack.

When I did low- carb, I used spaghetti squash and made a fabulous "pasta" dish with it that was ULTRA low- carb but all the taste of real pasta.
  • Kristendcampbell
    Kristendcampbell Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I bring spinach with 1oz feta, 1 T of Cranraisins with balsalmic vinegar and then I bring frozen fajita steak strips in another container, heat and then mix into salad. WIth a 1/2 cottage cheese on tomatos.

I also take a beef patty and brown it with some tomato with water and chili powder, then put that in a seperate container to heat and pour over mixed lettuce with mushrooms and its a taco salad. and a yogurt

I sear chicken tenderloins with garlic powder and franks hot sauce, then bring a tablespoon of ranch/bleu cheese dressing OR salad spritzer and have a faux buffalo chicken with a side mix salad with mushrooms and cucumbers.

OR chicken with garlics seared and a baked sweet potato

Also I heat shrimp in skillet with a little dab of soy or liquid amino and put in a tiny bit of peas and then egg whites and make a faux egg foo yung.
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    WOW, so many good ideas! I hope they keep coming! Chili and snap peas seem to be favorites! I also try to stay clear of processed foods, so I really like the ideas for spicing up my chicken! I also maybe need to make more food at dinner so maybe I can just bring leftovers! Thanks everyone for sharing!
  • catfyson
    catfyson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be good with my lunches - today I had a jacket potato with cheese and beans (still sort of healthy, right?) and tomorrow I have wholemeal pitta, chargrilled chicken with lighter green pesto, salad and a sprinkling of dried parmesan.

I'll probably snack during the day as one pitta is not a lot - work has a fruit collection dropped off weekly so I'll probably pick at the oranges and apples. I also have soreen mini loaves that make an OK snack, too.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The people at work laugh at me because I make eggs pretty much every day at work for lunch. I haven't gotten tired of them and I absolutely know how many calories I get, and can allow myself a lot more calories at dinner time (800+). It becomes a 'eat to fuel my body" rather than a 'live to eat' type of mentality. I eat the eggs to give my protein, and then I take other things that I love. Right now, I'm munching on a lot of blueberries too. Picked them fresh off the bush this past Saturday.

I also eat a lot of mini-sweet bell peppers. Those are awesome! Again, plain, or dipped in hummus. Apple slices, frozen grapes (YUM!!).

Make your own nut butter? It's super easy and you can modify the way it tastes, based on what you add to it. The other week I made a walnut, cashew, sunflower seed nut butter. Added a bit of honey and salt. As you're grinding it in your blender, add enough oil to make it work. I used coconut oil..but that sets up in the fridge. If you don't mind that, it gave it an awesome taste!!
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    I eat two bananas, two golden kiwi's and two apples.