NSV: I was finally forced to buy new pants.

Options
I've been on this journey since January and have lost just a little over 37 pounds so far. I'm not where I could have been had I stuck with it the entire time, but I'm a hell of alot better than where I started! The problem is- I'm cheap. I've been wearing my baggy size 18 pants at work and my baggy work shirts and I look like a bum because they're swallowing me whole and that's just not very professional- but I'm too cheap to buy new clothes when they're just going to get baggy when I lose more weight, so what's the point? Well my mom finally made me go to Kohl's and get some new pants and I walked out of there with two pairs of size 14 pants for about $20 total on clearance. Two sizes isn't a huge difference but I honestly can't remember the last time I wore a size 14! And on a scale note- I broke into 225 today. :bigsmile: These pants are just the motivation I need to keep going. :tongue:

Replies

• aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    congratulations!!! i always buy my clothes at goodwill for that very reason :) When you need that size 10, stop at goodwill first :)
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :)
  • clearlyme
    clearlyme Posts: 36
    Options
    That's awesome! 37 lbs is also amazing!!! Congrats.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    That is great, keep up the good work and you will succeed.:flowerforyou:
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That's excellent! I had to make a trip to the store a month ago after losing about 12-15 pounds and my pants were getting lose. I picked up about a dozen items ranging from shirts, pants and shorts from a thrift store at a low cost. I also bought a belt that has holes like every 3/8" of an inch to help manage for the short term. Before you know it, you'll be swimming in those size 14s! Congrats on breaking through 225!
  • Ashleymeganlove
    Options
    I don't know why I never thought about stopping by Goodwill or other stores like it. I'll have to keep that in mind for my next shopping trip!
  • swpguy
    swpguy Posts: 15
    Options
    I had to smile when I read your post- I too had to invest in some new britches due to bagginess. It is a a great feeling and you should be proud. And the Goodwill tip was one I also had heard, until last week I'd never been thru the front door, had always just been dropping off stuff in the back. It seems until a few months ago my drier would shrink my clothes. Now, suddenly it's make 'em all bigger. Wierd...
  • Ashleymeganlove
    Options
    Haha. Your comment reminds me of the calorie definition.

Calories (noun) - Tiny creatures that live in your closet and sew your clothes a little bit tighter every night.
  • crystal_light81
    Options
    Way to go!! Congratulations:bigsmile:
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I'm 221 now, still fitting normally in my size 20, and also get my clothes from the clearance in Kohls...I swear I must have the weirdest shaped body. So wish I could get into a size 14. But if I did I'd totally be all "I don't want to waste the money!" as well. Still, I'm sure it feels good in a bittersweet way to know they now fit but soon won't?
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yes. Go to goodwill or any other second hand/consignment shop. If you are in a city, you'll have no problem finding pants that look good enough for work. Shirts that are decent are harder to find at those stores, but pants are always the most expensive anyway. And you'll shrink out of your shirts slower than your pants. My ticker doesn't show my experience with this, but I lost nearly 60 pounds a couple years ago (and gained 30 back since I left here) and had to deal with shrinking out of my clothes faster than I could afford.
  • Ashleymeganlove
    Options
    Thanks for all the support and great shopping ideas!!
  • Ashleymeganlove
    Options
    I'm 221 now, still fitting normally in my size 20, and also get my clothes from the clearance in Kohls...I swear I must have the weirdest shaped body. So wish I could get into a size 14. But if I did I'd totally be all "I don't want to waste the money!" as well. Still, I'm sure it feels good in a bittersweet way to know they now fit but soon won't?

You'll get there!! Everyone's body is shaped differently.
  • heather_hearts_travel
    heather_hearts_travel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Good work! I'll be following you to the store soon! :)
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    After I started MFP last year, my work clothes got baggy. So I went to the thrift store and got 2 pairs (and I donated my old pants).
    Then I lost a bit more, and the pants got baggy - so I went back to the thrift store and got 2-3 pairs (and donated those pants that I had purchased the previous month back to them). This happened one more time & my spouse joked that I wasn't buying clothes, I was just renting them.
  • KathrynAlex
    KathrynAlex Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I can't wait til I get to that point. I've been there once before and there is nothing like having your clothes fall off of you because they're too big. Such a great feeling!!! Keep up the good work!
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Not so weird. I'm in a tight, but comfortable size 20 now (at 235) and may possibly be in an 18 when I get to the 220 range. I don't imagine I'll see 14 until I'm well into Onedurland. I was pretty darn happy when every 20 I tried on this weekend fit. I may have to be sedated when I get to a size 14, LOL>
  • JohnMessmer
    JohnMessmer Posts: 536
    Options
    Congratulations! The first time I went to downsize I took my toddler with me to K-Mart and had no idea what size to even try. I had been in a size 56, so I grabbed a 50, 52, and a 54...the size 50 fit and I was quite happy about it and that made my toddler quite happy so we literally danced in the changing room. I am sure the other patrons thought I was crazy, but I did not care one little bit what anyone else thought.

Keep up the great work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!