So, so confused!

Options
Hi. I've been using MFP for a few weeks now but the more I read, the more confused I get!

I had a baby 15 weeks ago and have been losing weight steadily. I'm just getting to the point where I'm not sure if I'm eating enough/too much. I'm hoping if I write down my info then someone can help me!

I'm 5ft 6"

Weight: 147 lb. My first target is to get to 140lb and then 130lb at a rate of 2lb a week.

I'm breastfeeding.

I'd say I'm moderately active. Walk to anywhere in a reasonable distance, doing C25k every other day and The Shred most days.

My problem is I'm reading about TDEE/BMR etc and it's confusing me! E.g. MFP is giving me 500cal for breastfeeding (starts the day at minus 500 cal) - should I eat it? Am I better off sticking with MFP cal recommendations or working out my TDEE? Should I eat my exercise cals?

I'd love someone to just tell me how many cals to set my target as and whether to include extra cals for exercise and breastfeeding or not!

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If you're breastfeeding you definitely need those calories....nutritious ones! You cant risk damaging your own health while also nourishing a little one.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Eat back the calories for breastfeeding and exercise. And pick 1 lb/week imo.
  • vickytoria1983
    Options
    So would you recommend MFP target + 500 cal + exercise cals

OR

Work out TDEE + 500 cal?

Or just TDEE?
  • shannonmarie752487
    Options
    No more than 20% less than your TDEE + 500; lower your loss to half a pound a week. It's good that you are asking the questions. No matter what you read here, keep doing research. I'm not breastfeeding (that was a long time ago), but I am eating way more calories than I ever dreamed I would on a diet, and I am losing weight that I believe will stay off this time since I can easily maintain this diet for life.
  • shannonmarie752487
    Options
    And I pretty much ignore the MFP goals. I use this: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/.
  • vickytoria1983
    Options
    Thanks! I've changed my goal using the link provided and it's at 1700 and then I'll get 500 extra for feeding. That seems like lots?!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    If you lower your calories too much, it won't be you that suffers, it will be your baby. Make sure you eat enough and lower your weight loss goal per week. Drink lots of fluids and choose healthy foods.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've changed my goal using the link provided and it's at 1700 and then I'll get 500 extra for feeding. That seems like lots?!

Sounds good to me!
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    And I pretty much ignore the MFP goals. I use this: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/.

Which option do you use?