Evening workouters

Options
I work 8am-5pm and have my last snack at 3PM. I get home between 5:30pm-6:00pm. Do you workout and then eat dinner or eat dinner and wait an hour so to workout?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have a snack around 330- 4 PM and then I go to the gym to work from 5-8/9 then I work out from 8/9-11 and then I go home.

And then I cook (if I have no food) and if I did- then I eat ze cooked food.

Bothers me not. worked very well for me thus far- I'm always FAMISHED when I get home after a workout.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'd rather head straight to the gym after work. But sometimes (and very rarely) will I go home to eat first then head out. It's just harder to leave the house once I'm home.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I work 9 to 5.

I eat breakfast at about 7 to 7:30, mid morning snack at 10, lunch at noon, snacks at 2 and at 4 and when I get home, I cook and eat supper, usually have eaten by 7:30. I will workout starting at 8:30 usually, or by 9:30 at the latest.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout prior to eating dinner. I either go to the gym straight from work or go home and get on the treadmill/bike before eating. I once made the mistake of eating 1st and then working out about an hour later - my stomach felt miserable and it was really hard for me to complete the run (though I did - swearing that I wouldnt make that mistake again).

I also concur with one of the other posters. If I go home first to cook, sit down or whatever, then its a wrap for me - not going back out to workout.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Work from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m
    Eat dinner at 6 p.m with the children
    Tuck children in at 7 p.m
    Work out from 8:30 to 10 or 11
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i have always had a high protein snack later int he aftenroon then worked out right after work (4:30 or so) then eat dinner after
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I get off work between 4:00 and 4:30..go home, whip up some BCAA's and head to gym ..I never eat pre workout...I get way too lethargic...
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i always workout after work and before eating dinner.. if i eat dinner and then have to sit around for an hour or so to digest enough to hit the gym i feel less motivated to go once the time comes around!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I eat then work out
  • carlyann13
    Options
    I get home from work at about 5:15 and since I have an elliptical at home, I immediately hop on and workout BEFORE dinner.
    Like so many others, I find that if I allow myself to get comfortable after work, it is really unlikely for me to get my butt in gear again.
  • shayleac
    shayleac Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have the same schedule as you. I work 8-5 everyday, I come home and have a small snack, wait an hour or so, go to the gym (even though its always packed around this time) and then have a light supper afterwards.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I go straight to the gym after work. If I go home, it's really unlikely that I'll go back out. On days where I workout after work, I try to have a snack around 3:30, like a hard boiled egg, string cheese, a few turkey slices, etc. Something small that will give me energy to get to dinner but not make me sick while exercising. I also suggest pre-making dinner on days where you workout after work so when you do finally get home, you don't over indulge because you are so hungry. Those are good crockpot days. Yesterday I made extra so I can eat the leftovers for tonights dinner, since tonight is an evening workout night for me.
  • downeyek
    downeyek Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    During the week, I workout after work immediately. (So, before dinner.) If I were to go home and eat first, I'd get to relaxing and watching TV...and sigh, no workout. On weekends, I get a workout in before breakfast so I can leave the rest of the day for whatever the weekend has in store!
  • Slimtastico
    Options
    I eat after I workout. I am usually starving by the time I get home from the gym so I will blend up a protein smoothy to drink while I am fixing my dinner to hold me over until my dinner is ready to devour.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My schedule is much like your except I get home more like 7 pm so I eat my late snack around 4:30 to have energy to work out. Prefer not to go to the gym, etc., after eating a full meal.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I work from 7a-5p M-F and what I'll normally do is have my last snack at work between 2-3 o'clock then I will have an apple after I get home. I work out after that and, like the poster above said, I am famished after that. But, I eat well and I eat less because I hate undoing what I just worked so hard for. If I workout after eating, I eat more, have to wait for my stomach to settle and my motivation goes downhill. On weekends, if I go riding first thing in the morning, I will drink a protein shake or something along those lines. Sometimes cereal but I have to wait a little bit first.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I eat my diner, then wait an hour or so then work out at around 7.30pm.

Today I got back from work early....so i thought hey, may as well get it done and out the way. Baaaad idea, I just didn't have the same energy at all. So will be sticking to later workouts from now on :)

Everyone is different. Give both a go and see what suits you best :)
  • jennabeth12
    Options
    I work 9-5pm and have to say i PREFER first thing morning run / workout. However sometimes it is easier to work out after i finish work around 6/6.30pm i have a snack late afternoon and have dinner after workout. Oh btw major mistake once i left it too late in the evening and did 2 cardio sessions. I WAS AWAKE FOR HOURS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt get to sleep until 1:30am LOL! xxxx
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Move your snack up to 4:00-4:30 add some good protein, it should hold you over until dinner after your workout. I usually have a can of tuna and 1/2 apple about 4:00 and run about 5:30-6:00 and have a smaller dinner about 7:30-8:00
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I prefer to hit the gym on my lunch hour because I always run into this conundrum when I try to do the evening thing. I find I can't go right after work - I am too hungry. So I go home and eat something first, but then need to wait for it to digest at least a little, so when I do that I can't start my workout until like 7:30-8 which I hate.