Basic strength training questions

Options
I am just staring out on this journey and wanted to add in some strength training in addition to the cardio I already do (swimming, c25k, spin).

Can I just use the machines at my y - like the leg press, etc ? At the moment the machines seem possible, whereas the free weights are just foreign. Is using the machines (a few, maybe 6 - arms & legs) 3 days a week going to help? Is there certain machines that you would recommend? Used a few yesterday and my arms & legs are sore.

Thanks!

Replies

• cassfill30
    cassfill30 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump -
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Use machines if that is what your are comfortable with. They may also help slightly with correct form, so that when you move on to free weights, if you decide to, then you'll have an idea of the correct form. Or better yet, ask someone who works there to give you an overview. They will probably also give you an idea of a well rounded workout to do on them.

And I think three days a week is great. Try to get some core in there, also (crunches, planks...)
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You can find videos on how to use free weights online, so you are prepared and know what to do when you get to the gym.
  • Chasem1984
    Chasem1984 Posts: 10
    Options
    Machines are okay, but they limit your range of motion too much. Don't be afraid of free weights. Just start out light, look up how to do the lifts on youtube and do them. 9 times out of 10, people in the gym are too involved with what they are doing to be watching you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    free weights are much much better than machines. whatever your goals are, free weights will get you there much faster. they are well worth learning to use and will only remain foreign to you for as long as you choose to avoid them.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Machines won't hurt, but free weights are a much better bet. There are lots and lots of resources online for instructions, form, and tips. It will be uncomfortable or even embarrassing the first time you try an unfamiliar movement, but once it is part of your routine, you own it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started on machines because my crappy gym didn't have free weights, and got pretty darn good results with them. But I got *much* better results when I quit the crappy gym and bought a barbell and bench set for home.

Just make sure you're challenging yourself and increasing the weights when you can. I was astounded at some of the very low weights that some people used at my old gym. They got a bigger challenge carrying and drinking their bottle of Gatorade. :wink:
  • cassfill30
    cassfill30 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help.

I will start doing some research on free weights and use the machines in the mean time.