To weigh or not to weigh...That is the question

Options
Hey there MFPals. I have been debating for the longest time whether or not I should go ahead and purchase a scale to track my weight loss. I've always used the fit of my clothing as a guide to whether I have gained or lost any weight. I think I'm a tad bit anxious about buying a scale because I don't want to become obsessed with a daily 'weigh in' and become frustrated with my weight loss journey. Anyone out there scaleless on their journey?

Replies

• carlyann13
    Options
    Personally, I need a scale to hold myself accountable. Unfortunately I am one of those that can't tell the subtle changes as far as clothing fit, etc.
    I weigh myself every morning before I shower for work, but only record my weight on MFP every few days. Otherwise I am likely to get discouraged by the daily fluctuations that occur.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I have to make sure I put my scale away after my weekly weigh-in, or else I may become obsessed with it and weigh daily (which I did before, but was no good for my motivation). Perhaps you could weight once a month or so - that way, you can track your progress, but it's not a significant part of the journey.
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily to track how my previous day's food affected my weight. If you are doing fine without one, I would skip it b/c I know fluctuations are normal, but they can still be depressing. Is there one at a place you frequent- a store, your work? If so you could do a weekly or monthly weigh in that way. There is one at the nurse's office at my job and lots of people track their weight like that so they aren't obsessing daily over the scale.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    It is really about understanding what you are getting in to by checking the scale. If you weigh daily (or god forbid, multiple times a day), your weight can fluctuate several pounds. You really need to understand what is going on with your body in order to not freak out when that number goes up a pound or two. If you weigh less regularly you get a better idea of the general trend, but you also run the risk of picking a day to weigh that might show an inflated number, which can definitely be discouraging, or a deflated number (perhaps because of dehydration) which sets you up for a "smaller loss" next time you weigh yourself. This isn't even going in depth about how many examples we've seen of people who have toned up and lost inches while staying the same weight.

So there really is no good answer that anyone else can give you, it depends on what you personally think you can deal with.
  • KathrynAlex
    KathrynAlex Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Using the scale helps me stay on track. I usuaslly weigh-in weekly to make sure the number is trending downward. If it's not, I know I need to reevaluate my exercise and food intake. It could take weeks to notice changes in clothing sizes and body measurements. I need to know that I'm headed in the right direction. I know may people who have lost weight without using a scale to monitor their progress.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am anti-scale. I am also lifting and doing a lot of weight training as well as HIIT. I knew I had to give up the scale when I was able to fit into a pair of shorts I hadn't buttoned in a year and the scale had said I actually GAINED a pound. I know that if I log, workout, and stay on track, eventually I will lose weight. I think measurements are the way to go.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to throw mine out many times. I think going by clothing is great and will keep you from stressing over daily fluctuations. You might also use a tape measure. Good luck to you.
  • Mayday1705
    Options
    I've always gone on 'how my clothes fit', but since joining MyFitnessPal, I decided to get a scale! I weigh myself weekly and have found that I've noticed a loss before my clothes have let me know, which has motivated me...especially when I haven't had such a great day calorie-wise!
    I tried weighing myself every morning, but I found I got a little freaked out by the fluctuations, so I decided to carry on with daily food changes for weight loss and then measure and weigh myself every Sunday afternoon! For me, I'd want to stick with the scale as it's all part and parcel of my new lifestyle!
    Perhaps borrow a scale for a bit to give it a try and if you find it doesn't work for you, then give it back and carry on with the way you're comfortable with. Good luck with whatever decision you make and with your weight loss programme!
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in a scaless summer. I have found that the reason why I keep quitting is because I weighed myself every day and got discouraged. So I vowed not to weigh myself until the end of the summer. I feel so free. I don't own a scale either so I just weigh myself at the gym when I do weigh myself. I feel like the clothing fit option and measurements have been a way better motivator for me.
  • Connudiaz
    Connudiaz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with the scale. I have physically broken two glass scales because I was "mad" at the results...lol I know there are many things that account for fluctuations in weight loss but seeing the number go up is very discouraging. It has been 9 days that I have not stepped on a scale and I feel Great! My suggestion is, if you feel that you may get obsessed with it, don't purchase one. Weigh yourself at a GNC or health store on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.
  • Hss0p
    Hss0p Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. To check progress.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Tape measure and fit of clothes is best. I don't have a scale at home either, anymore. I weigh myself at a friends' house every few weeks. I weekly measure and I have not been disappointed by the tape yet!