Avoiding starvation mode

Options
I've been doing Zumba at a high level for 4 years. This past year I did cut back to 3 days a week for 60 minutes with is a 769 calorie burn. I have also been keeping my calorie intake between 1200 and 1500. On the days I workout, is this putting me in starvation mode unintentionally causing me not to lose weight? I seem to be stuck between 186 and 192 lbs. after initially losing 40 lbs. doing Zumba.

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    No
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Prooooobably not. The only reason I went into starvation mode, said my nutritionist, is because I was regularly eating only 600some calories a day with exercise on top of that.

You'll be fine.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Prooooobably not. The only reason I went into starvation mode, said my nutritionist, is because I was regularly eating only 600some calories a day with exercise on top of that.

You'll be fine.

Did they give you the starvation mode standard test?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    769 calories in 60 minutes ?
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Well I doubt you're burning that much, for starters.
  • amjam33
    amjam33 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, Ive been worrying about this too, I get the message on my diary every day that I am risking starvation mode. I normally eat around 1,000 calories and really don't know how to up this. worrying that I am going to stop myself losing weight but don't really understand it!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    starvation mode doesn't exist in overweight people. It is a highly overused term. It only exists in underweight people that have very little body fat. Pay attention to your body. Can you keep this up forever? Is the scale really that important? Are you seeing other changes like clothes being more roomy? Those are the questions you should be asking. Maybe you should also switch up the exercise. Your body will get used to doing the same thing all the time. Also change up calories, eat a little more, then eat a little less. Do your research.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    No, it takes being under greatly under your calories for a prolonged period for you to go into starvation mode. My GUESS is you are over estimating the calories for the burn you're getting from your workout (it is very hard to burn more 10 calories a minute unless in short bursts). Or your body has become accustomed to the workout, and you need to try something different to lose weight. Try lifting weights or some high intensity cardio.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No, it takes being under greatly under your calories for a prolonged period for you to go into starvation mode. My GUESS is you are over estimating the calories for the burn you're getting from your workout (it is very hard to burn more 10 calories a minute unless in short bursts). Or your body has become accustomed to the workout, and you need to try something different to lose weight. Try lifting weights or some high intensity cardio.

I agree with this guy.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ive been worrying about this too, I get the message on my diary every day that I am risking starvation mode. I normally eat around 1,000 calories and really don't know how to up this. worrying that I am going to stop myself losing weight but don't really understand it!

Ok - how to up your calories ..... this is relatively easy. Start adding calorie dense foods (that are healthy) .....these have tiny portion sizes... nuts, nut butters, seeds, olive oil, avocado ..... and are really healthy sources of fat. Fat is not the enemy.

The reason you should eat more ...... yes, you will lose weight faster (for awhile) with really low calories ..... but the operative word here is WEIGHT ..... fast weight loss = fat AND muscle loss. To reduce your body fat % ...... you want to lose mostly fat.

1,000 calories is almost ceratinly under your your BMR (basal metabolic rate) ..... these are the calories your body would use if you slept for 24 hours. Under your BMR is encouraging muscle loss.

Starvation mode is largely exaggerated .... is it possible to screw up your metabolism? ..... yes .... anorexics can & will screw theirs up..... but this is long term. As for dieting (with too low calories) for a couple months ..... no your metabolism is not damaged.
  • ShellyAnn46
    ShellyAnn46 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Change your tactic. Build muscle by weight lifting - muscle is desperately needed!!!!!!!!!!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

1,000 calories AND you honestly don't know how to up this? Starvation mode being possible or not, unless you are a really short and petite person you're not getting enough.

The reason you get the message in your diary everyday is because the least amount the average person is "supposed" to have in order to the have proper amount of calories for your body to function correctly is 1200, and for most people who are trying to lose weight, 1200 is to low.

Up your calories to 1200, and grab 2 tablespoons of peanut butter for 2 hundred calories and there you have it.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Under eating is a sure fire way to lose weight and not improve body composition. Meaning, you may reach a weight you consider healthy, but do to body fat % still be at the same health risk category as obese. That is where the term "skinny fat" comes into play.