Hair loss

Options
I've noticed the last few weeks I am losing more hair than usual.. I have been mildly stressed but I've never lost this much hair. Or at least not that I can recall. I take vitamins, and I think I'm getting proper nutrition. I'm not sure if it's the stress, could be but I've been more stressed than this and not lost my hair. Any one else experiencing this? Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can do to stop the hair loss??

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating enough your hair can fall out
    Maybe talk to a doctor, the advice on these forums is below optimal
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating enough your hair can fall out
    Maybe talk to a doctor, the advice on these forums is below optimal
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    are you taking any antibiotics? or it could be your food... I suggest a gradual introducing for healthy foods! and always read labels
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
    And get your thyroid checked.
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    I eat 1300-1500 calories depending on the day. On spluge days I'll eat more. I have a balance of 40% carbs 30% fat and 30% protein. I try to get as close to those numbers daily. I take a daily multivitamin. My diary is open, please feel free to give feedback. Know, the last 3 weeks have been bad, but the hair loss started about 2 moths ago. I'd talk to a Dr, however I currently don't have health insurance and cannot afford to see one.

MelMoly: No Antibiotics.
  • phonepest
    phonepest Posts: 43
    Options
    Also, since you do have the gastric band, check out your protein intake, banders normally don't have the malabsorbtion issues like bypassers, but it IS possible to not get enough. Also, rapid weight loss (whether thru surgery or the usual way) can cause hair loss.

Also agree that you should check with your dr. maybe have some blood work done, thyroid, vitamin levels, iron, and such!
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You could be experiencing a deficiency - even if you're getting proper nutrition and taking vitamins, your body could be having trouble absorbing the nutrients. My sister's hair started falling out and after months of worry and tests she finally went to a nutritionist and they found that she was -incredibly- low on iron even though she ate a diet fairly rich in it.

And with the gastric band surgery, if the problem persists you should make an appt with your doctor and try figuring it out with their help. They'll have to run tests and all that glorious stuff, but it's better to figure these things out sooner rather than later. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a possible medical issue...something a bunch of randos on the internet aren't really qualified for.
  • crisbabe81
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Was hoping for an easy answer. Doesn't look like there is one. :)
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Google hypothyroid symptoms.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the last few weeks I am losing more hair than usual.. I have been mildly stressed but I've never lost this much hair. Or at least not that I can recall. I take vitamins, and I think I'm getting proper nutrition. I'm not sure if it's the stress, could be but I've been more stressed than this and not lost my hair. Any one else experiencing this? Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can do to stop the hair loss??

How do you lose hair? Any areas specific or is it all over your hair? You lost 10% or 50%?

Go to see your doctor. The doctor will do the tests to eliminate the causes. It can be your hormones.

I had alopecia before and went to many doctors all over te world. It's not always about your food or vitamins, or stress. Mine was about the immune system.
  • crisbabe81
    Options

How do you lose hair? Any areas specific or is it all over your hair? You lost 10% or 50%?

It doesn't seem to be localized, I seem to be losing it pretty evenly throughout. I wouldn't even know how to put a % on it, I just noticed when I brush my hair more hair is coming out.
    Go to see your doctor. The doctor will do the tests to eliminate the causes. It can be your hormones.

I had alopecia before and went to many doctors all over te world. It's not always about your food or vitamins, or stress. Mine was about the immune system.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    go have your thyroid checked, this happened to my sister also. I take 5000mg of Biotin daily it is great for your hair, plus vitamin c is also good for you hair..
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    See your doctor, but in the meantime, please consider eating your exercise calories.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
    And get your thyroid checked.

This!!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have the lap band, and I noticed that my hair was coming out more than it normally did pre-surgery.

I upped my protein to the max that I could handle, and I took a multivitamin (I take a pre-natal because my surgeon said that since I'm in the child-bearing age group, that would be fine for me to take), and also did a Biotin supplement. I've not been doing well on the higher-protein part, but the biotin, I take daily. I don't have my bottle with me, but I know my dosage is two pills daily, and they're fairly small.

But after about a week, I noticed my hair wasn't coming out as much in the shower.

That's just my own personal story... always consult your doctor :)
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Makeup girl on youtube who was having same type of hairloss issues recently put a update video out about her health - and says she's discovered her hairloss is due to not enough stomach acid....

she eats a heavy protien diet, and because she doesn't have enough stomach acid to break it down - it was just passing through and not being used....so her body was feeling as if it was in malnourish mode....thus....the hairloss, acne, etc.

as far as my personal experience - i have hairloss due to thyroid issues :(

hope you get results :)
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Is hair loss normal for the older women in your family? Mother? Grandmother? Great grandmother?

If they lost their hair (usually up to extreme thinning in women, not total loss), then perhaps you're just following in their footsteps (hair loss is inherited via the female line).
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Could be various reasons.. genetics, autoimmune issues, thyroid, diet, environment, stress, etc.

Personally I have alopecia areata. It sucks and there's not a lot you can do about it. I have found regular exercise helps, though. :\
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and while you do eat a nice amount, you exercise a lot of it away. What I mean is...your net calories on many days is under 1000, which is way too low. Your minimum for net calories, MINIMUM should be 1200. Try eating more and see if that fixes it for you.