Dieting with Hypothyroidism and have reached success

Options
I have been exercising for months now and the scale has barely moved. I am counting my calories and I exercise at least 4 days a week. All my life I have yo-yo dieted and lost weight and now, doing it the right way, I have seeing VERY slow progress since I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. Anyone out there that has been successful with losing weight and has hypothyroidism? If so, what are you doing? Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Replies

• teresasmithhausch
    Options
    I did.. I am hypothyroid. I was doing great, then it took another nosedive over the last year... had my doses changed and hope to get back on track again,

I ate protein, no soy products, lots of vegetables and fruit.. and kept my bread to once a day. I take my levothyroxine if I wake up during the night so that I can eat breakfast within Half Hour from waking up.. it seemed to really make a difference. i ate my largest amount of carbs at breakfast. I drank lots and lots of water.

What you eat for breakfast really seems to set the tone for the day. I like to start with a large breakfast... then eat a snack 3 hours later, lunch 3 hours later, another snack 3 hours, then three hours later dinner.

Breakfast, Lunch and dinner are 300-400 cals each, snacks 100-200 cals each.. eat every 3 hours, drink lots of water and keep moving. It takes longer than it does for anyone else, but it does work.

T
  • csalguero96
    csalguero96 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice! I am going to try this! Good luck to you too!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump as I have recently settled at 75 dose of levothyroxine per day and my weight is still steadily increasing despite 3 long dog walks a day....doctor says blood tests fine so on right levels. I am intrigued as to why you would need to take the meds in the night- I take mine when I come downstairs in the morning and eat breakfast within about 15 minutes- should I not be doing that?
  • mom413bike
    mom413bike Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much in the same bind as you. I am SO good. I walk, trying so hard to get my 10K steps in. It's rough, its like people don't believe you. I take my meds at 5:30 when my hubby gets out of bed, then my alarm goes off at 6am, so then I can get up, have coffee and breakfast. Hypoth & PCOS. I'd hate to see what I'd look like if I didn't do all that I do. Im sure you feel the same way. Its tough. One day at a time.
  • mom413bike
    mom413bike Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pharmacist and dr says to wait 30 minutes at least. Some say one hr. You should check with your pharmacist/dr.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice x
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a underactive thyroid and I have finally got success, or close to it :)

it takes a long time, For every pound a person loses, us hypos have to try 3 times as hard.
    It will take longer, but there are lots of things to help.

Have you tried upping your selenium intake? 4 brazil nuts a day contain the right amount.
    Have you tried taking your thyroid hormone pill AN HOUR before a cup of tea or coffee? the tannins and iron etc hinder the absorbtion of the meds. I take mine at the same time every day, this also helps

What sort of exercise is everyone doing?.. I found success with cardio every day and weights and such 3 times a week..

I am on 100mg plus a day of thyroxin.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Once my Synthroid dose was optimized and I began to weigh my food, the scale has steadily gone down for me. I prefer taking my Synthroid at night and I'm diligent about taking it at the same time every night. I lift heavy twice every 9 nine days and if the weather co-operates, I get a long run in every 9 days (awkward work schedule - otherwise it would be nice to work out 3x/week).

Getting the Synthroid dose right was the hardest part for me. My body was very sensitive to increases and I had to do so in 6mcg increments over 2.5 years.
  • Joluru
    Joluru Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    stopthethyroidmadness.com

I'm not affiliated but know people who have had success with this.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have thyroid issues and hit success. it was a long battle, it was a lot slower and harder. it took me a year to lose 20 lbs which others can do in 3 months. my thyroid seems to be under control right now and i am thankful for that! I stay away from soy, and i count my cals and exercise 5 days a week, currently i am doing focus t25. you have to give yourself double the time frame and don't give up plus make sure your levels are correct to be effective with your weight loss!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I know that certain foods are better for optimum thyroid function and certain foods should be avoided. Try a google search and start modifying your diet to enhance your thyroid function.