Pounds vs Inches Lost

Options
I've been working out for about a month now (cardio and weight lifting) and improving my eating habits as well (cut calories and added protien to build muscle). I have not seen a much weight loss, but my clothes fit better and my husband and friends say I look thinner. I was frustrated so my hubby suggested I take measurements to see my progress. Perhaps I was gaining muscle and losing fat? As muscle weighs more than fat this can make it seem as though I'm not losing he said. I took his advice and was so I was so happy to see I lost an inch off my hips and thighs in one week! (my husband is a genius!!!) I am now trying not to look at the scale as much and focus more on the results with my clothes and taking measurements.I do feel stronger and healthier and I suppose under this fat I am gaining muscles I will see when the fat is gone. Thanks Honey!

Has anyone else had this issue??

Replies

• 321Detonate
    Options
    Yep! After continually losing a pound a week for 12 weeks, I gained some back in the last month... but I keep dropping inches. I'm learning to become less reliant on the scale and instead go by measurements.
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    I had the same problem. Could not get past 26 lbs for the longest time (wasn't gaining, but didn't lose either!) So I took my measurements (husband's idea too, hmmm guys must be into the tape measure or something:) any way 5 inches from my waist!! and my clothes definitely feel like I lost more than the scale shows. I did start dropping pounds again recently so maybe my body 'readjusted' itself and is on the 'move' down again. I've made peace with how slow this is going, because I feel the longer it takes, the less likely I would put it back on quickly (altho I believe that my new way of eating is so ingrained in me now, I would never go back to an unhealthy lifestyle, not to say I don't have my crave days:) But I've learned it's okay on occasion as long as my primary dietary habits are good.
    Keep up the good work!
    416185.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • JodiGirl82
    Options
    I have not even taken measurements yet. Will have to do that a.s.a.p.
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I barely lost any weight for over a month on MFP... but I took my measurements and saw a difference that inspired me to go on, and now I'm seeing more of the actual weight loss too. Stick with it!!!!!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    my problem is I don't know where to take the measurements correctly. waist above or below belly button? hips? chest?
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I try not to look at the numbers anymore. It's too hard to figure the fat lost vs. the muscle gained. I just concentrate on what I can see. I really wish I had taken pictures week by week , same pose every time to gauge my progress. I know it feels a little embarassing at first, but you'll wish you had done it later and it's a great motivator. IMHO, choosing one program and sticking with it, documenting your progress down to the minute detail, and realizing why you're doing this and for who are the best tools you can use.

Eat less, move more.:wink:
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP about 3 weeks ago, and I'm not really seeing much of a weight loss either; but the inches are definitely coming off, and now my pants have sooo much room in the waist and my belt notch is now in the 4th hole instead of the second. So, let the scale say what it wants to say.....I know I'm ROCKIN IT!!!! :happy:
  • MsPitt
    Options
    my problem is I don't know where to take the measurements correctly. waist above or below belly button? hips? chest?
    As long as you take measurements in the same place each time, you'll see the results. :)
    I take my waist right at my navel, and my hips are taken about two inches below the top of my hip bone because that's the widest part on me. Chest is the one I have the most trouble with. I take that one with my bra on, in the middle of my bra band.
  • iamanne
    Options
    I try not to look at the numbers anymore. It's too hard to figure the fat lost vs. the muscle gained. I just concentrate on what I can see. I really wish I had taken pictures week by week , same pose every time to gauge my progress. I know it feels a little embarassing at first, but you'll wish you had done it later and it's a great motivator. IMHO, choosing one program and sticking with it, documenting your progress down to the minute detail, and realizing why you're doing this and for who are the best tools you can use.

Eat less, move more.:wink:

Thank you so much!

I will start taking pics for sure, especially since others can see the difference but I can't so much. I feel like MFP is really working for me as far as tracking my calories and nutrition and I have come to love working out (who knew?? LOL) I think my hubby and I have finally found something we can live with.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    As long as you take measurements in the same place each time, you'll see the results. :)
    I take my waist right at my navel, and my hips are taken about two inches below the top of my hip bone because that's the widest part on me. Chest is the one I have the most trouble with. I take that one with my bra on, in the middle of my bra band.

Thank You!
  • qifitness
    qifitness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Your progress proves that you are gradually shedding excess fat which is healthy 'weight' loss.
    However, there is a myth that you should understand clearly......

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. This is the biggest helth/fitness myth of them all!

1lb muscle = 1lb fat. They weigh the same.
    1kg fat = 1kg muscle. They weigh the same.
    1 ton muscle = 1 ton fat. They weigh the same.

Muscle is a denser tissue than fat, i.e., less bulky. It's not 'heavier'.
    So, a person can continue to weigh the same, but gradually appear slimmer. Hence your clothes feeling looser and your body measurements reducing.

With less body fat, you'll be much healthier and look slimmer and more 'toned'. However, for women, muscle gain is generally less than for men, so don't worry about about 'bulking up' with muscle. It takes a heck of a lot of heavy weight training for that to happen - even for men!

With your resistance training, you will gain a small amount of muscle (a more metabolically active tissue) so you will burn more calories even at rest.

BTW..... I'm an exercise physiologist, so this advice is 'qualified'. I hope it helps you (and others)
  • iamanne
    Options
    Thank you so much qfitness! I so appreciate your information and the support of everyone here at MFP. This is a great site that has been most helpful. I love the weight training and will continue to work on bieng fit and healthy.