Hair loss

Options
2»

Replies

• BiggieSmalls927
    BiggieSmalls927 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    add the specific vitamin Biotin in your diet....
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    Is hair loss normal for the older women in your family? Mother? Grandmother? Great grandmother?

If they lost their hair (usually up to extreme thinning in women, not total loss), then perhaps you're just following in their footsteps (hair loss is inherited via the female line).

None in my family, they all have full heads of hair (grey but hair).
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing that there isn't a lot of fruits and veggies in your diet. A banana here and there and berries, but nothing really consistent.

I struggle with the same thing, but just an observation.
  • crisbabe81
    Options
    I have the lap band, and I noticed that my hair was coming out more than it normally did pre-surgery.

I upped my protein to the max that I could handle, and I took a multivitamin (I take a pre-natal because my surgeon said that since I'm in the child-bearing age group, that would be fine for me to take), and also did a Biotin supplement. I've not been doing well on the higher-protein part, but the biotin, I take daily. I don't have my bottle with me, but I know my dosage is two pills daily, and they're fairly small.

But after about a week, I noticed my hair wasn't coming out as much in the shower.

That's just my own personal story... always consult your doctor :)

My surgery was 2009, I did notice a small increase in hair loss, but I attributed it to the surgery. It resolved on it's own, and wasn't nearly like it is now. I would say after I shower and comb my hair I have lost at least 50 strands of hair.. As the day goes I will lose 3-5 at a time, multiple (5-6 if not more) times a day.
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I almost jumped out of my chair when I saw your post! I have been on track for a little over a year and have lost 77 pounds, I still need to lose 13 pounds. My hair has fallen out to the point where it is so thin that someone at work asked me if I had cancer due to the hair loss and weight loss. I immediately went to the doctor and she ran some tests just to be safe and she told me that hair loss is normal when you lose a lot of weight in a short period of time. I don't think a year is short but she said it was. I have to keep my hair pulled loosely back to hide the fact that it is so thin. My hair dresser says that she sees signs that it is growing back because there are short hairs all over my head! I take Biotin and iron every day in addition to my multi vitamin with my doctor's permission, and I switched to a non-sulfate shampoo. All I can do now is wait for it to grow back. At the given rate of 1/2 inch a month, it is going to take 2+ years to grow back! :grumble: Good luck!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have the lap band, and I noticed that my hair was coming out more than it normally did pre-surgery.

I upped my protein to the max that I could handle, and I took a multivitamin (I take a pre-natal because my surgeon said that since I'm in the child-bearing age group, that would be fine for me to take), and also did a Biotin supplement. I've not been doing well on the higher-protein part, but the biotin, I take daily. I don't have my bottle with me, but I know my dosage is two pills daily, and they're fairly small.

But after about a week, I noticed my hair wasn't coming out as much in the shower.

My surgery was 2009, I did notice a small increase in hair loss, but I attributed it to the surgery. It resolved on it's own, and wasn't nearly like it is now. I would say after I shower and comb my hair I have lost at least 50 strands of hair.. As the day goes I will lose 3-5 at a time, multiple (5-6 if not more) times a day.

Mine was in 2009, too :)

I notice the days where I'm stressed or my diet is just utterly crap (like this weekend was!), I lose more.

Please let me know what your doctor says if you end up going and having this checked out. I'm curious :)
  • crisbabe81
    Options
    I'm noticing that there isn't a lot of fruits and veggies in your diet. A banana here and there and berries, but nothing really consistent.

I struggle with the same thing, but just an observation.

I go thru phases where I don't want fruit and veggies. I try to get something in there everyday. A few of my dinners like my bell pepper enchiladas have veggies in the recipe (I use the recipe builder). That is why I take a multivitamin, I know I'm not getting all my nutrients from food. I'm working on it.
  • crisbabe81
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I almost jumped out of my chair when I saw your post! I have been on track for a little over a year and have lost 77 pounds, I still need to lose 13 pounds. My hair has fallen out to the point where it is so thin that someone at work asked me if I had cancer due to the hair loss and weight loss. I immediately went to the doctor and she ran some tests just to be safe and she told me that hair loss is normal when you lose a lot of weight in a short period of time. I don't think a year is short but she said it was. I have to keep my hair pulled loosely back to hide the fact that it is so thin. My hair dresser says that she sees signs that it is growing back because there are short hairs all over my head! I take Biotin and iron every day in addition to my multi vitamin with my doctor's permission, and I switched to a non-sulfate shampoo. All I can do now is wait for it to grow back. At the given rate of 1/2 inch a month, it is going to take 2+ years to grow back! :grumble: Good luck!

I'm so sorry about your hair loss. I have my fingers crossed it doesn't come to that for me. I will be adding in biotin, and looking for a Dr. It has been just over a year since my last physical. It is due.
  • crisbabe81
    Options

Mine was in 2009, too :)

I notice the days where I'm stressed or my diet is just utterly crap (like this weekend was!), I lose more.

Please let me know what your doctor says if you end up going and having this checked out. I'm curious :)

Will keep you posted. :)
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had hair loss too. I went to the doctor, all my tests came back normal. He attributed it to my "rapid weightloss" I lost 55lbs in 5 months. I had over 100lbs to lose, so I didn't think it was that "rapid"

I've kinda fallen off the wagon lately, i've maintained my loss, but haven't lost anymore. My hair loss has subsided, and I have a LOT of regrowth.

I have read that hair will come back in thicker than before. I'm waiting to see if that's true LOL