Best diet to loose weight

Options
Heya guys!
What foods do you recommend me to eat as part of a healthy weight loss plan.
Currently my diet is quite high in carbohydrates and I want to lower this. What alternatives would you suggest which is low in carbs but still healthy and totals 1200 calories.
Currently I have porridge for breakfast and rice almost everyday for dinner.

Replies

• wjack459
    wjack459 Posts: 17
    Options
    make water your best friend pop got to go , mayo, margaine\\\ three square works for me with two snacks
    i can go on and on but i lost 23lbs in 71 days/ please find what works for you.. just add me as a friend lol
  • wjack459
    wjack459 Posts: 17
    Options
    use whole grain and brown rice. i got a list.. but check out all the pros and cons and pick the best for you... i just get on scale every five weeks, i work out six day a week plus i have added weight lifting!!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The best diet is the one you can stick with long term. The best diet is the one that you can live with for the rest of your life .......lifestyle changes.

I don't do low carb because I don't have any medical issues and I can't see myself sticking to it forever. What I can do forever ....... more whole, non-processed foods.

More veggies .... these are naturally high in fiber (filling) ...... and most are low calorie

Whole fruits ......these are naturally high in fiber (filling) .... and while they are not necessarily low calorie ...it takes me awhile to eat an orange ..... but I can drain a glass of OJ really quickly.

Whole grains .....these are naturally high in fiber (filling) ..... and generally less processing = more nutrients (check the label on whole wheat vs. white bread .... protein).

Another thing I can do forever ....... move more. I won't get thin by exercise .....but this HAS to be part of maintenance plan.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and you will lose weight. Meal timing and types of food are individual preference, but really a calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight
  • melonomo66
    melonomo66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the advice! Also can I eat a lot of fruit? For exapmple according to my fitness pal, I'm aloud around 26grams of sugar. I only eat proper sugary foods like sweets and chocolate in my cheat meal. However on healthy days I tend to eat at least 3 fruits usually a plum an apple and a banana. However bananas have around 20 grams of sugar in just one? So I always end up going over my allowance. Will eating to much fruit therefore hamper my weight loss?
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    I always eat a lot of fruit and haven't had any trouble losing weight. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are hitting your other macros.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit
    Eat proper macronutrient intakes
    Eat enough fiber, soluble and insoluble
    Eat foods you enjoy, just fit them into your calories and macros for the day
    Try to avoid trans fats including hydrogenated oils whenever possible

That is the best diet anybody can follow, because it's not a diet, it's just how you should be eating anyway.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    unless you have a medical issue re sugar, ignore that macro. Turn it off so you can't even see it. If you stay under cals, you're fine.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    The kind where you eat what you want and monitor intake (calorie count).
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit

That is the best diet anybody can follow, because it's not a diet, it's just how you should be eating anyway.

This!
  • MissSharon2013
    MissSharon2013 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    ✳Avoid fad trends...that promise you lose weight fast. 1. Results are short-term and as soon as you stop: and you WILL stop, it will come back and usually then some. 2. They aren't healthy.
    ✳Stay in your 1200 cal range--it's tempting to eat LESS, but less is not better. Your body will think it's starving and go into a defense mode. It will hold onto your weight by lowering your metabolism.
    ✳Drink your water
    ✳Slow and steady is best!
    ✳Eat what you enjoy in moderation and within your calorie range. If you want a cookie, have ONE! BUT if you KNOW you can't stop at one; then veer away from the foods that trigger your over-eating tendency.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is a great addition for more protein! And greek yogurt!
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    one apple a day keeps the dr away
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Best diet to lose weight is to stop shoving food in your mouth. Simple.

find out your TDEE www.iifym.com and then eat at TDEE-20% and welcome the weight loss.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit

great post mate.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    ✳Avoid fad trends...that promise you lose weight fast. 1. Results are short-term and as soon as you stop: and you WILL stop, it will come back and usually then some. 2. They aren't healthy.
    ✳Stay in your 1200 cal range--it's tempting to eat LESS, but less is not better. Your body will think it's starving and go into a defense mode. It will hold onto your weight by lowering your metabolism.
    ✳Drink your water
    ✳Eat what you enjoy in moderation and within your calorie range. If you want a cookie, have ONE! BUT if you KNOW you can't stop at one; then veer away from the foods that trigger your over-eating tendency.
    '
    grrrr your body does NOT hold onto your weight if you eat less than 1200. This is such a HUGE untruth. I have 207lbs of fat I've left behind by eating under 1200. Not that I advocate eating less than 1200 I'm just saying that doing so will NOT make your body go into starvation mode and it most def will not make your body hold onto it's fat stores.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    individual food items don't contribute to weight loss or weight gain
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight on everything from high protein to high carb to points in between.

In the last few years, I've lost weight and kept it off (I want to lose another 10 lbs for athletics), it has been focusing on three principles:

Planned eating (I eat something every 3 to 4 hours) so I never get so hungry I make bad choices

Protein and produce (e.g., cheese & an apple, veggie and a protein, 1 oz of nuts and some cottage cheese) If I have a grain it is as "whole" as possible, e.g., steel cut oats, brown rice, barley and no more than once a day.

One hour of focused exercise 6 days a week (this could be one hour at the gym to one hour of walking).

I do keep track on MFP, but I find it easy to stay on track and make progress by following the above.

The reality is that something like under 10% of the people who lose weight actually keep it off for 5 years or more....so you have to find habits you can implement and sustain. After decades of experimenting the 3 above have taken me from my highest weight of 186 lbs to my current 142 (I'm 5 ft 8.)
  • MissSharon2013
    MissSharon2013 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    ✳Drink your water
    '
    grrrr your body does NOT hold onto your weight if you eat less than 1200. This is such a HUGE untruth. I have 207lbs of fat I've left behind by eating under 1200. Not that I advocate eating less than 1200 I'm just saying that doing so will NOT make your body go into starvation mode and it most def will not make your body hold onto it's fat stores.

Well, all righty then.