Dreams about eating junkfood

Options
Ok so last night (and a few other nights in the past) I've been having these weird dreams where i'm just on a feeding frenzy eating all these crap foods. Like last nights dream, I was stuck behind this shelf in a secret room that was stacked with rows of pringles in every flavour, cakes, crackers, chocolate bars, sugary cereals and heaps of other junk and I was just eating and eating to try every flavour even though in the dream I was feeling sick and not enjoying it at all. In the dream I even felt very guilty that I had just eaten all these things and could see my big bloated stomach. I seem to get these dreams when I go to bed after having a very good day of healthy eating and exercise so I am so glad when I wake up and it was just a dream!
Another time I was frolicking through a field where all the flowers were made out of chocolate!

Does this happen to anyone else? What are your eating dreams about and why do you think you dream about them?

Replies

• tannadine
    tannadine Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hah, I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to!

I wake up sometimes after dreaming I've really blown my calories and the relief that I feel when I realise it's just a dream is palpable!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Yes! I had a food court dream once. Chinese, Sbarros, Taco Bell, regret...

I think it's just because we're thinking about food a lot. I think of it like having school dreams - the ones where you didn't do a huge project because you didn't realize there was a huge project until the day it was due.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Think yourself lucky; your dream is currently my waking nightmare- got to get back on track!
  • aalicia88
    aalicia88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Wow, this happened to me last night too! I was eating donuts and I kept going back to eat another piece and another piece and I would feel more and more guilty. I woke up so relieved that I really hadn't done that. Phew :D

ETA: The donuts in my dream were so delicious btw!
  • Katey12891
    Katey12891 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's weird isn't it? When I had my dream about chocolate the taste was so vivid it was almost real. You wake up absolutely relieved it was just a dream!
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    This is an interesting phenomenon that also occurs when an addict enters recovery. They tend to have "user dreams." When I got clean, I had dreams (nightmares) where I was using my drug of choice. I can't say that I've had any junk food dreams, but I would imagine this dreaming occurs because of cravings and a fear that we will go back to our bad habits.
  • dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking I would often have smoking dreams that would freak me out because they felt so real. I would wake up and have to go over the previous day several times in my mind to reassure myself that I hadn't actually lit a cigarette!

I think that was my body trying to fool me into giving in and giving it what it wanted - like if I *felt like* I had smoked I might absentmindedly light up a cigarette without noticing what I was doing. I would also periodically experience the ghost of that first drag on a cigarette and could almost hear my body saying "Gosh. Don't you miss that? Wouldn't it be great to feel that again?"

That lasted for a few months before it finally disappeared.

Our bodies are tricky, cagy things and will do surprising things to get what they want.
  • sinthia619
    sinthia619 Posts: 15
    Options
    I dreamt about eating a corn dog which is sooo weird because they're not my favorite.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Katy, yes, I also had a lot of nightmares about eating junk food when I did Weight Watchers a few years back and was keeping track of everything I ate. In one, there were french fries falling on me from the sky. haha I think it's just anxiety about losing control. I was insecure that I could actually succeed. Once I gained more confidence, the bad dreams stopped. Good luck!
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Haven't had one yet, but I'm sure I will soon lol.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Wow, this happened to me last night too! I was eating donuts and I kept going back to eat another piece and another piece and I would feel more and more guilty. I woke up so relieved that I really hadn't done that. Phew :D

ETA: The donuts in my dream were so delicious btw!

Ahhh..Donuts..i am going to have a donut dream tonight!!
  • seruki
    seruki Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow. I dream about this a lot. I'm glad this isn't that uncommon! I just try to eat something healthy that I know I REALLY enjoy!
    Like a spring mix salad with glazed walnuts (or assorted nuts) and good, light olive oil based dressing, if I want salt. Oatmeal for sweets. If I REALLY want soda, diet soda on very rare occasion. I hope this helps!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I do this, I'll be on track and doing great then I will have a dream where I eat ALL the things!! Wake up guilty as hell and thinking I've blown it.

I think my subconcious gets a kick out of it.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in again and tell y'all that last night I had a donut dream. I'm assuming it was because of this thread. Haha.

I literally had suitcases of donuts in my dream. Weird.
  • bleistiftspitzer
    bleistiftspitzer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That happens to me sometimes also. I feel miserable that I cheated on my diet, but then I wake up and feel more motivated because those dreams get my cravings out of the way!
  • xoxdollyxox
    xoxdollyxox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    lol I often dream I'm let loose in a food court and there's sooo many cakes and dishes and they all look so good and I can never pick what I want to eat!.. Some times I wake up and I've almost drown in a pool of my own drool lol (gross yes I know) :laugh: