What is appropriate dance attire?

Options
abbiez
abbiez Posts: 229 Member
I'm auditioning for my universities dance ensemble and it says to come dressed in appropriate dance attire. I was thinking yoga capris and a shirt, but what kind of shoes?!

and am i wrong with my clothes choices?

Replies

• Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The yoga pants and a fitted shirt should be fine for a try out. You probably want your hair pulled back so it doesn't get in the way. Just double check with the teacher.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Do you have dance sneakers?

Back during my dancing days, the ladies came wearing some type of dancing shoes, dance shorts/form fitting yoga pants and tank tops
  • abbiez
    Options
    I dont have dance shoes! :frown: I never actually took dance classes but I was a cheerleader and I dance at home and make routines all the time. The flyer said no experience necessary. Should I go buy dance shoes ? I emailed the girl on the flyer and asked what is considered appropriate dance attire. :ohwell:
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    There's not a whole lot wrong with regular gym attire. Tank tops/tee's with yoga pants/leggings etc is totally fine. When I used to do dance that's what we wore. I don't think there is a standard, as long as you can move comfortably and they don't restrict you, you're fine.
    As for shoes? My suggestion would be jazz ballet shoes or dance sneakers. Once again, they're lightweight and move the way you need them to unlike regular sneakers. We also used to dance bare foot. I guess it depends on the style of dance they are expecting you to do.

Good luck!
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Don't worry about dance sneakers now unless there is a dance supply store around you and you can find a pair at a decent price.

Once you make the team I would invest in some =)

Senior year of high school I tried out for the school's hip hop dance team - my first time ever trying out and I had no "professional" experience and I never really danced in front of anyone and I made it =)

Than after that I tried out for a semi pro dance team (think NFL cheerleaders/dancer) with not much experience like the other girls had and I made the team too =)

Just try not to be nervous and show that dance confidence =)
  • abbiez
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm super nervous. I'm waiting for the email back about shoes and then I'll see what I'm gonna do. Ahhh :-)
  • Notsocorny
    Options
    they might have specific shoes they want you to wear for a number, or you might end up barefoot, so go with sneakers, and wait until you get placed. Dancing is so fun!! :)