one cup means

Options
priyaa27
priyaa27 Posts: 2
wondering what an average cup size would be by image or measurment for rice! thank you.

Replies

• Shannonscott10
    Shannonscott10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had been told that 1 cup was about the size of the palm of your hand. (just in general) Check out this website for some real life images of how that works. http://blog.photocalorie.com/portion-sizes/
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    the best way to be successful at this journey is to actually use the measuring cup. In many cases people will come on here and say they are not losing and it is soon learned they are not measuring or weighing there food. Estimation is great if you do not have access to the right tools, but your chances of success are much greater with the tools.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    250ml or 8oz
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    tennis ball?
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    visually, a 1/2 c cooked rice is approx a tennis ball

check this out:

http://caloriecount.about.com/article/when_you_cant_measure_estimate_portions
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    dry_measuring_cups.jpg

I'd think a cup might look like one of those.

Seriously, a food scale and measuring cups should be mandatory.
  • priyaa27
    priyaa27 Posts: 2
    Options
    thank you every one!
  • sinthia619
    sinthia619 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes measuring has been very important for me. You can find all the tools you need at the 99 cent store or dollar store.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've invested in a great series of millilitre measuring cups with volumes also for American recipes. The measuring spoons are CuisiPro and have a flat top so you can run a knife or finger over it to create an even surface. All are of high-quality stainless steel and will last for decades. My kitchen scale is a Soehnle digital scale, which I use also for weighing shipments. Yes, they cost a bit, but I don't plan on purchasing replacements in a long time.