Has anyone tried Biotin?

Options
hotmomma0612
hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
My nails are always breaking and hair falls out, so I bought a Biotin supplement. It is 10,000 mcg Biotin with 100 mcg Keratin. I have taken it for 3 days so far. Has anyone had luck with Biotin? I guess it also helps with metabolism, has it helped yours at all?

Thanks!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• amluvstld
    amluvstld Posts: 212
    Options
    I've tried it for my hair and nails. I didn't take it long enough to get any evidence of it working. I'm curious to see what others have to say.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    i want to know about this too so

?bb_attachments=938052&bbat=109417&inline
  • obeseandsassy
    Options
    I took it for a full month and a half and all I got was a sebaceous cyst. Biotin increases production of sebum, which causes acne, breakouts, and well, like me, sebaceous cysts.

The past two weeks I've been using a product called Rejuvacote. I've found it's worked wonders on my nails so far! I've always had thin, chippy, breaky, awful nails. Just since I started using rejuvacote my nails have gotten stronger and it makes them look lovely and glossy, too.

. . .ew I sound like a spam bot.

Yeah, point is, not impressed with biotin.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I've taken it regularly for ~3 years. 1000 mg/day. My hair is very long and my nails are kind of strong but they still break off somewhat frequently, but I always have them painted which is probably not great for their health.

I haven't noticed any wonderful effects that I would attribute to the Biotin. Even while taking it my hair was breaking off pretty badly and therefore wasn't getting any longer. It wasn't until I caved and had a few inches trimmed that my hair really grew longer and stopped breaking.

So in my experience I would say not over-processing your hair and, if you do, getting it trimmed now and then does way more than Biotin will. As for the nails I'm pretty certain Biotin hasn't done much for mine because I didn't notice any change from prior to taking it. Results also may just depend on the person, so good luck! I still take it anyways, haha. Can't hurt.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I took it for a full month and a half and all I got was a sebaceous cyst. Biotin increases production of sebum, which causes acne, breakouts, and well, like me, sebaceous cysts.

The past two weeks I've been using a product called Rejuvacote. I've found it's worked wonders on my nails so far! I've always had thin, chippy, breaky, awful nails. Just since I started using rejuvacote my nails have gotten stronger and it makes them look lovely and glossy, too.

. . .ew I sound like a spam bot.

Yeah, point is, not impressed with biotin.

Def agree, you will see more noticeable results using a product like that than from biotin. OPI Nail Envy is good too :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I've had pretty good results with biotin. It let m y hair grow out another two inches, after it was stubborn and didn't grow at all for over a year. And my nails are much stronger, and hardly ever peel like they used to.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a biotin supplement (5000 mcg) for about the last two years. My nails were quite brittle and often split, and they have improved back to normal. I found out that taking acid reducers for GERD interferes with biotin absorption, so thankfully I don't have to use them anymore. We also give our horses a biotin supplement for their hooves, and they have good quality hooves and nice hair coats.
  • Amor
    Amor Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I lovelovelove biotin. I take one 5000 mcg, (which I believe is 5 mg?) per day with a meal.

I believe it takes at least 3-4 weeks to see a result but I once you do it's worth it. My quick story, I over-treated my hair and in an act of rebellion about +6" broke off. So even after getting a trim and getting rid of all the remaining dead/split ends I still noticed my hair was splitting and breaking quiet regularly. Keep in mind, my diet was crap at this time and I still used heat on my hair. So after about half a year I stopped abusing my hair and eating better but my growth was still very very minimal, in a year I gained about 2"- WHATTT? My hair used to grow about 1/4" a month...

So I started taking biotin, as well as a multivitamin, and my growth increased back to 1/4" a month, and often reaches almost 1/2" and for the first time in my adult life my nails were actually growing, I'd never noticed before how weak and brittle they were but like my hair the stopped splitting and breaking.. So today I'm still taking it, it's been about a year and I've gained almost 4" of growth. It's willlllld!

But again! Biotin WITH a multivitamin, a healthy diet (full servings of fruits & veggies), and a smarter hair care routine. Can't say I noticed a metabolism change but my hair, skin, and nails are spectacular in my very humble opinion lol.

Kind of a lot, and maybe it had nothing to do with the biotin but I mean, 1/4" to 1/2"? Idk. I have pictures too should anyone need proof hahah.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    See you have a picture of a newborn. Did you just recently have a baby? As you know pregnancy helps your hair and nails grow, and afterwards you lose the hormones so you lose that pregnancy hair.

With that being said, I've taken it and havent really noticed a huge difference. I will say that less hair fell out.