Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Has anyone lost weight off their legs with running

Just wondering if jogging will help with weight loss on my legs as they are the fattest part of my body. I have recently taken up jogging and just wondered if anyone had experienced a difference in their legs?...

I would appreciate any advice

Replies

• neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    I would say it definitely helps ! Since completing the c25k programme and making running/jogging a regular part of my exercise routine my legs and thighs have definitely become slimmer, now if only my hips would catch up !!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I'm smaller all over since I started running (and eating at my calorie allowance), so that includes my legs too.
    I can definitely notice that my thighs are smaller, I'm no so sure about my calves, but there is definitely a whole lot more muscle and less fat there. That's probably what you'll see with running - more tone and less fat overall.
  • Jo120522
    Jo120522 Posts: 44 Member
    Thank you i am doing the C25K too on week 4 day 2 havent noticed much of a difference yet - though this wont knock me as i am now addicted to jogging! - but would just like to see a difference at some stage soon............
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    I lost ALL the flab from my legs from running, but my thighs are now 3" bigger than they were since I have been running (about 5 months). I gain muscle pretty quickly though, but I'd rather have big muscular legs than big flabby legs.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Definitely. It has toned up my butt massively and slimmed down my thighs! They don't even touch when I stand straight anymore and my boyfriend can't stop commenting on my rear! Makes it easier to wear skinny leg jeans :laugh:
  • if you are eating right and losing weight then you will lose weight everywhere, including your legs. With running you should notice your thighs and calves firming up after a little while but running in itself will not increase the rate at which fat comes off your legs. Your body burns off fat from everywhere indiscriminately of what part of the body is used most during exercise. Sadly for women most fat is stored on legs and bum so these are the places that appear to have the least progress, with dudes fat is stored round the waist.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    yep!!!!!
  • Jo120522
    Ok that sounds very good it has always been a problem area for me. I cant wear a dress at all as they are so bad

Did you have bigger legs to begin with?
  • I have been walking Monday to Friday 10 000+ steps a day and I have seen a huge difference (I have a pedometer)! Needless to say I still have plenty of weight to lose but can't believe the improvement from just walking! I now have ankles again, a smaller bum and have lost quite a bit from the top of my thighs and calves - my trousers are beginning to 'flap' in the wind LOL! I also try to do as much walking as possible on a weekend, I may not reach the 10 000 step minimum, but the extra steps on a Saturday and Sunday are a bonus..... Walking has worked for me! Hopefully some day I will be ready to try running!
  • I've noticed a big difference since starting to run but I also combine it with strength moves from 30 day shred.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    walking has totally given me some legs back!,but i have moved onto speed walking now and i am getting some serious muscles in my calfs...:)
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    You can't target areas where fat is reduced by exercise, but running will certainly burn fat generally and tone and develop the muscles in the legs, hips etc.

Basically, any exercise with a average calorie deficit over a period of time will cause you to lose weight, but not necessarily in the legs.
  • Just wondering if jogging will help with weight loss on my legs as they are the fattest part of my body. I have recently taken up jogging and just wondered if anyone had experienced a difference in their legs?...

I would appreciate any advice

deff helps! not tooting my own horn, but i had good legs to start with, but a little fatty. lol
    once ive started going on the treadmill & cross trainer & jogging, theyve just got more 7 more toned :) x
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Fat loss does NOT work that way unfortunately! Anyone telling you that you can target where you lose weight is lying. You need to lose fat everywhere at once, genetically it may leave some places sooner than others (some people lose it in their stomach first, or their face, etc) but no exercises will target fat loss. You just gotta keep losin till you like it. :)

A side effect of running is having nicer looking legs, though, because it does work your leg muscles. While it doesn't change the amount of fat on your legs, everything is sort of 'held together' better by having stronger muscles - you will especially notice this when fat starts leaving your thighs.
  • trinity77
    trinity77 Posts: 35 Member
    I've been running for 15 weeks now. I started with C25K and I'm now on the last week of B210K. I've always had chicken drumstick legs - thunder thighs and tiny calves. My calves are now much more muscular and I've lost 2 inches off the circumference of my thighs. On the whole my legs are looking soooo much better. Still some way to go before there is no jiggle but I'm hugely impressed. And it's completely down to running 3 times a week and keeping a modest calorie deficit. Keep at it!
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Thank you i am doing the C25K too on week 4 day 2 havent noticed much of a difference yet - though this wont knock me as i am now addicted to jogging! - but would just like to see a difference at some stage soon............

I have a friend who is exactly at the same point in her routine and she has lost half a stone but said it's not changed her legs yet. We walk together regularly and I think it's starting to show in her bum area!
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    This is my seventh week running, and I have barely lost a pound, much less seen a change. I'm workin my butt off too!....except that my butt isn't working itself off. Haha!

I'm seeing improvements in things like resting heart rate and blood pressure, though, and I like it. So while I have no hope of ever actually looking good from running, I'm still planning on running a 5k in October! Running's fun!
  • Jo120522
    ye even though i have been with MFP for about 6-7 weeks now i have only lost 1lb! I had to take a break from running due to an ankle injury but im back on track now. Still cant see a difference in clothes either but i am just going to hang on in with it and hopefully i will shift either weight or inches soon...............
  • Robrowald
    Robrowald Posts: 64 Member
    I noticed that running didn't necessarily reduce the size of my legs in any huge fashin but it sure did define them.
    @cherrypop1 & Giantess Stay with it, your body may still be adjusting. It's takes some people longer than others. I work out with my cousin and he has been losing at a much slower rate than I have. But he has noticed internal benefits (BP, Lipids Etc). When your body finally kicks in and decides to catch up, you'll be just fine.
  • I started to follow the run keeper beginner 5k training plan, am only on week 2! on rest days I have gone swimming and have realised that both activities are helping each other! in the 1st week lost 4 pounds and I don't have that much weight to loose! I recommend running and swimming together! it works well! legs are starting to feel a lot better and can take a lot more before they ache