Anyone trying to lose weight with Chronic illness?

Options
Hi, I'm Bea. I'm 29 and have struggled with my weight my whole life. I've also struggled with energy, pain, and so on my whole life as well. Finally, the doctors started listening to me when I was tired for months with strong prescription meds not working. It's been a year so far and I've yet to get my energy back. I'm been diagnosed with Central Sensatization Syndrome and Bipolar. Trouble is though the meds for Bipolar make me insanely hungry and also kill all my old "highs". During my highs I would forget to eat, exercise like crazy, and be very motivated. Thats just background...not trying to sound like a sob story.

Right now I am in a 14/16 and 210 lbs at 5'8". Some of my meds got me down to 190, but these new meds put me back at 210 pretty quickly. I'm sick of being "big" as my husband so nicely stated during one of those foot in the mouth moments. His friends are still asking him how comfortable the dog house is! Anyway, I just really hate the way I am, but with each new day I'm so tired again that I can barely move and have ZERO motivation. I'm getting really discouraged, but am DETERMINED to NOT GIVE UP!

Next week I'm going to force myself to exercise to some degree everyday and to count calories every day. Even if I go over on calories at least I will start getting a reality check on what I'm eating. I try not to eat too much, but I am also not really thinking about what I am eating and we ALL know what happens when you dont pay attention.

Just wondering if anyone was in a somewhat similar situation.

Bea,
29, South GA

Replies

• weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't have an illness but just wanted to wish you lots of luck achieving your goals. Take each day as it comes!

Good luck!

Lisx
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, irregular heartbeat, IBS and depression. PCOS causes cholesterol, blood pressure, insulin and thyroid problems. MS causes fatigue and pain. So, yeah, I can emphasize with you! I'm 5'6", 190 and this is the lowest I've been since high school 13 years ago. Weight loss is slow, but I am determined. Losing 34 lbs so far, I do feel better and some of my blood work is starting to improve. Anyway, add me as a friend if you want and we can encourage each other.
  • takethepieces
    Options
    My sister has a similar problem with chrones disease, when it flares up she has to take steroids and they make her put weight on. I read about a woman who did Slimming World who was told that because of her underactive thyroid she'd never lose weight, but she followed the plan and got to her goal weight, so it can be done!

I've been told I might have an underactive thyroid,PCOS and suspect IBS but I have a huge needle phobia and therefore haven't had a blood test to diagnose any of these things. Though a doctor told me that I probably have PCOS (their words) and didn't bother to suggest getting checked for it or anything, she said it like 'you probably have a bit of a cold'.

Good luck with your goals and I think if you put your mind to something and focus on it you can achieve anything xox
  • DancerGirl16
    DancerGirl16 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Bea! I also want to cheer you on as another person who struggles with chronic illness.
    I have had dysthymia (constant low-level depression) since I was about 12 (so six years), and I get "episodes" of major depression on top of that when things like people dying or moving away happen. (Both of my grandfathers passed away within the last two years, so I've had a lot of depression :P)
    I only got help last November (after my second grandpa passed away), and before that I had almost no motivation to exercise. I wanted to be thinner and in shape, but I couldn't make myself get up off the couch or away from the computer because it felt like too much effort. Fortunately my medication and therapy have helped, and I've lost 8 pounds since then, but I still have a long way to go.
    Part of how I motivate myself is by thinking of how strong I'll feel when I can do such-and-such (like run a mile or lift a heavy box with no problems). So I suggest having a "strength" goal as well as a weight goal. :)
    I hope this helps a little! Good luck! ^-^
    ~Kayla
  • nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, now lets see....

Underactive thyroid, ME/CFS/Fibromyalgia, Calcium deficiency, Chloesterol, have had a high BP (but was in hospital yesterday as I passed out from having a low BP!!!!!), PCOS.... 28 prescription tablets a day!!

Currently weigh 216lbs.... ultimate goal 140lbs

More than welcome to add and share :D
  • bea1222
    Options
    So nice to know I'm not alone! We will have to keep each other motivated. I have a 2 year old daughter I watch and she definitely keeps me going. Can't go to sleep watching her.

Anyway, I'm going to stick to my plan and hopefully things will go pretty good. My husband is trying to lose weight too, so that always makes things easier.

My goal is to lose 30 lbs by Christmas. It is a little lofty, but not too lofty. I'll be happy as long as I am losing though.

I forget who mentioned the strength goal....as far and muscle strength, lifting my 30 lb daughter helps with that, but I really need to be working on my legs and tummy.

Nikki, Central Sensitizatioin is a combo or ME/CFS/Fibro caused by the central nervous system magnifying and short circuiting all the messages our bodies send to it. The problem is that I can't take meds for it, though none have really helped in the past, because of the bipolar. I go to the doctor Tuesday and am going to ask about b12 shots for the energy and maybe that will help.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    I can so relate, I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and hypothyroidism . It is hard having the energy to do anything let along exercise but I am really trying to push myself and doing pretty good so far
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have depression. I have been medicated for it for the last 5 years. When things are "normal" I can convince myself to go to the gym and eat right. The problem is that we had a miscarriage in September of last year and have been unable to get pregnant since then. The stress and sadness from infertility has caused the depression to get worse. I am medicated for it, but sometimes that is not enough. I eat when I am stressed, so I ballooned. The last few months I have been doing acupuncture in addition to my meds and going to the gym more, which have both really helped but it is still really hard. We have a doctors appointment in November to find out what the underlying problem is, I suspect a progesterone deficiency, so hopefully things will start to turn around soon.
  • HotMommy0609
    Options
    Hi Bea! I think we're pretty similar. We are pretty much the same size. After my 2nd daughter was born in 09 I had anxiety and depression brought on by steroids I had to take for a flare up of an auto immune disease I have. Ended up going on Effexor. It helped me SO much. I was feeling like my old happy self in a week. BUT, I was so tired and HUNGRY ALL the time. I stayed on the meds for a year but got sick of the sleepy/hungry feeling. I've been off the meds for 2 months but I'm still struggling with getting my appetite under control. I'm happy I feel more awake but still struggle with motivation. Ugh! What I'm saying is, you're definitely not alone!! Hang in there, we can do this! :heart:
  • chickybabe05
    Options
    Hiya, yip i have an illness called Idopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) in short my body makes too much cerebral spinal fluid (CSF). I suffer from extreme headaches almost all of the time, the extra CSF puts pressure on my nerves and causes alll sorts of symptoms, i suffer from nausea which makes it difficult to eat properly and add the fact the pain is so unbearable some days i can't move, exercising can be a challenge. but if i want any chance of getting better, albeit a slim chance i need to lose the extra weight. there is no known cure so just gotta learn to live with it.
  • lil_miss_stephy
    Options
    I am 30, have Fibromyalgia (diagnosed in '08) , PMDD & Migraines (since '00). I totally feel ya! Every day I feel like I am battling against my disease to try and get fit and healthy. The meds have been on and am currently on make it feel like a losing battle. My body is in constant pain and stiffness, I rarely have the energy to get up and do housework let alone go to work out. I am at my heaviest in my life. My body constantly retains water worse then when I was pregnant.
    I too have just recently started Effexor and I agree the results are great but am also hungry. I had lost around 5 lbs but then after the doc switched up my meds shot back up another 5-10. My doctor told me that "90% of my fibro patients are about your size". So what I'm doomed to be fat??
    I have come to terms with the fact that I will never be a size 2 again, that I can deal with. I just want to be healthy and feel good when I walk out the door.
  • jet207
    jet207 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 18, and I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, POTS, migraines, and exercise-induced asthma. Always had symptoms but my health really took a nosedive at 16, 5'7'' and 160 lbs. Over the last 2 years I've gotten up to 210 lbs, and over the last month I've lost 10 lbs with minor lifestyle changes. Downloaded this app less than a week ago and I've already lost 3 lbs more, down to 197 lbs. I can't do any intense exercise because of my conditions, mainly EDS, but I've been going on a long walk each day and limiting myself to 1,400 calories. It's hard and I'm still trying to find a balance, but before I was steadily gaining with each week. I wanted to get a handle on my weight before it felt insurmountable, and I'm hopeful.