Adding flavour to yogurt

Options
Alan
Alan Posts: 30 Member
I'm looking for ideas to flavour my home-made Greek yogurt. I try to avoid artificial sweeteners when possible, but I also want low-calorie. I'm torn..

I've used Torani syrups, but at 80 cal per ounce, it's a bit high. I've used No Sugar Added jams, but they have the fake sugars. Honey is good too, but then it's back to the high calories.

What are some things that you've used to flavour plain yogurt and keep the calorie count down?

Replies

• red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    i sprinkle a bit of reduced fat granola on mine.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, crystallized ginger spread, pecan-praline sauce, ground ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon, sliced cucumbers with a little lemon and a lot of shredded fresh mint.......
  • YvonneCT
    YvonneCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use natural apple butter or maybe make your own apple butter or apple sauce. Or you can make a sauce from any of your favorite fruits, no sugar added. Of course, you will have the natural sugar in the fruit, but the calories are often 50 or less.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I use mine in protein shakes to add a bit more protein and make them creamier.

I can imagine using it with herbs and spices to make dips or sandwich spreads maybe? I never tired it though, just a thought!
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If you look at some of the Lower Sugar jams or preserves, they sometimes don't have artificial sweeteners. I know the Smuckers Lower Sugar Raspberry Jam is just the sugars from the fruit, and its delicious in yogurt. : )
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I find berries counteract the tang a bit and work by themselves. I've also tried protein powder to mixed results.
    Also you can blend with frozen fruit such as mixed berries.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I sometimes just put in a little bit of vanilla extract then add berries or bananas or dark chocolate ..or all of the above
  • Chellody22
    Chellody22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle cinnamon on my greek yogurt sometimes, it's low calorie and tastes very good (if you like cinnamon).
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    There are some fruit spreads that are fruit only...no sugar or other sweeteners added....they'd probably be what you want.
  • idontknowohno
    idontknowohno Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I add fresh fruit or jam to my yogurt.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Duncan Hines flavor creations mix ins.
    They have a variety of flavors, 10 cal per pack
    Can be used for anything not just icning
  • Alan
    Alan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I'll definitely give the apple butter a go, and revisit the jams. The Duncan Hines mix-ins sound interesting, too.